The Flash discussion (Spoilers!)

Ultimate Houde

UC's Resident Genetic Recombinator
flash1p4.jpg

I love this artist. He did a great job on Adventure Comics, and it seems the same type of quality is coming over on this book. I love the coloring also, it really pops.

I like the story of the future Rogue Gallery showing up a policemen form the 25th century, same century that Booster Gold is from by the way.

The one thing I didn't like is how Barry Allen was just kinda back like he took an extended vacation. Granted, they mentioned the whole witness protection thing, but it kinda felt meh. And the last time I saw Iris, she looked to be in her 50's, and now she looks to be in her early 20's. I didn't finish Rebirth, so maybe this was mentioned in more detail there.

Re: The Flash

I thought it was pretty good too, Barry is probably the weakest element of the story though, as well as some of the dialogue.

"Hey Allen! For a golden boy you sure are pretty slow. Why are you so slow, slowpoke? Did I mention you were slow? Because you are. Slow that is."

I'm kind of worried that the quality of this series will dip as severely as Adventure Comics' did. I wonder how many issues it'll be before Geoff Johns has something comparable to Lex Luthor curing (and uncuring!) cancer with a fluorescent green syringe?

I agree with Iceshadow about the dialogue. I said in the Blackest Night thread that one of biggest problems with Johns is that he over-characterizes; in order to keep characters interesting you need to retain a few ineffable elements to their personalities. Instead, he painstakingly maps out for us the exact reason that Barry is the way he is, and it's a little hamfisted. Did we really need to know that Barry has deep plot motivations for wearing a bowtie? Does every character need to constantly point out how slow moving he is? It might offer a bit of amusing dramatic irony the first time, but it gets tiresome very quickly.

I enjoyed this first issue. I never really got into Flash but I do like Geoff Johns and the art is great. Houde is right - the coloring pops nicely and it is bright and expressive.

Geoff Johns. Francis Manapul. The Flash.

These three reasons are why I love this series already.

I loved this issue. And for someone who's not very knowledgeable of the character and rogue's, Johns did a great job for me not to be lost. Excellent.

I liked the second issue a lot better than the first. One thing that bugged me though: Where did Barry get the the materials for a new apartment? Did the JLA pay for it?

I liked the second issue a lot better than the first. One thing that bugged me though: Where did Barry get the the materials for a new apartment? Did the JLA pay for it?

Johns said he recycled the remains of the old apartment.

I want Jay Garrick to get a new solo series, because he is the MAN.

Occasionally Barry can team up with him if he wears the Kid Flash outfit.

Latest posts

Back