The future of Ultimate Marvel

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
I agree with Bass too. Millar said that he couldn't top Ultimates 2, so that's why he's not doing a third. Surely They could have waited until the story was there rather than cashing in and turning the Ultimates into a franchise. Oh, wait, Marvel.. right.

As for the Ultimate line as a whole, I hope that UXM stays great, whoever is writing it. I'm not a fan of USM, I don't think Millar's UFF is a patch on Ellis' run, the mini's don't look all that exciting apart from the Galakty one (Ellis innit), and UIM is ****e. With Marvel giving the Ultimates to a writer like Leob, what have I got left to hang on to? They have taken everything from me, and now, look at me, devoid of comicy goodness.

Maybe it isn't life shattering, but these are dark days for the Ultimate line.

And Fury is the traitor and you all know it.
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
Guijllons said:
And Fury is the traitor and you all know it.

And everyone knows that he's the traitor because he's black.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Guijllons said:
I agree with Bass too. Millar said that he couldn't top Ultimates 2, so that's why he's not doing a third. Surely They could have waited until the story was there rather than cashing in and turning the Ultimates into a franchise. Oh, wait, Marvel.. right.

As for the Ultimate line as a whole, I hope that UXM stays great, whoever is writing it. I'm not a fan of USM, I don't think Millar's UFF is a patch on Ellis' run, the mini's don't look all that exciting apart from the Galakty one (Ellis innit), and UIM is ****e. With Marvel giving the Ultimates to a writer like Leob, what have I got left to hang on to? They have taken everything from me, and now, look at me, devoid of comicy goodness.

Maybe it isn't life shattering, but these are dark days for the Ultimate line.

And Fury is the traitor and you all know it.
I kind've agree with you. That's blasephmy on this site but Guij is sorta right only I'm not all too impressed with The Ultimates like other people (well just this traitor storyline but...) USM - according to everyone has been lacking with the hopeful exception of this recent arc. UXM - A safe spot with Vaughan on it. UFF - I like it... a lot... but there's a lot of complaints that it's too out there with it's science fiction. Galactus Minis are shapeing too be pretty solid but will have too loose credibility unless they come up with a hell of an excuse as to why they're are absolutely no consequences or collateral. UIM - ......... riiiiight.....
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
17,832
Location
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
TheManWithoutFear said:
I kind've agree with you. That's blasephmy on this site but Guij is sorta right only I'm not all too impressed with The Ultimates like other people (well just this traitor storyline but...) USM - according to everyone has been lacking with the hopeful exception of this recent arc. UXM - A safe spot with Vaughan on it. UFF - I like it... a lot... but there's a lot of complaints that it's too out there with it's science fiction. Galactus Minis are shapeing too be pretty solid but will have too loose credibility unless they come up with a hell of an excuse as to why they're are absolutely no consequences or collateral. UIM - ......... riiiiight.....

There's a part of me which agrees as well. USM just hasn't been the same title which got me hooked on Ultimate comics in the first place in a LONG time. UXM has been great, I think the best its ever been with Vaughan on the title, even better than Millar. UFF has never been my favorite Ultimate title, and I do agree that lately it has been getting a little TOO fantastic, but I'm hoping in the future it might be toned down a bit once a new writer comes on (next year that is). Not that I don't like Millar's version, as its a fun read, but as I, Guij, and MWoF have noted, it just seems a bit too much too soon. The Ultimates is still the best ongoing title there is, and I enjoy it immensly, I just hate the drawn out delays and its now apparent bi-monthly shipping schedule. The Ultimate mini-series tend to be hit or miss, more often than not missing (Ultimate War, Ultimate Iron Man, etc), but I thought Nightmare was ok, and Secret so far I've really liked (again, not the delays though) and I'm VERY much looking forward to Extinction.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
DIrishB said:
The Ultimate mini-series tend to be hit or miss, more often than not missing (Ultimate War, Ultimate Iron Man, etc), but I thought Nightmare was ok, and Secret so far I've really liked (again, not the delays though) and I'm VERY much looking forward to Extinction.

I thought you would've added Ultmate Daredevil/Elektra.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
DIrishB said:
My bad. That one was decent. I wasn't a huge fan of it or Ultimate Elektra, as both focused more on Elektra than Daredevil. I still think a Ultimate Daredevil mini focusing on him and how he became Daredevil is sorely needed.
I'm just waiting for Joey Q to PM me and tell me he wants to use our ideas.
 

Bass

Nexus of the World
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
14,167
Location
Folkestone, UK
TheManWithoutFear said:
USM - according to everyone has been lacking with the hopeful exception of this recent arc.

This has been said since Venom. Thats fifty issues ago. Enough is enough. It jumped the shark.

Also, this is the best thread thread. It begins with "I think Bass is right". It's destined for greatness.
 

Doc Comic

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
2,869
Location
Crown Point, IN
The thing about Venom was that you had this moron Todd McFarlane fanboys saying "VENOM RULEZ WE NEED VENOM WE NEED VENOM LOLZ" and it's a shame that Bendis and Marvel gave into them by introducing Ultimate Venom so soon. There are still a billion other villains and ideas. Even worse was Carnage, who was introduced pretty much right after him. They really did pull a Fonz there.
 

Lynx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,489
Location
Orlando, FL
USM - I disagree about Venom. I actually liked the newer take on him, and the game gave a nice bit of closure to that storyline. Irresponisble was eh, Cats and Kings was pretty good, while Hollywood was the last great USM arc. Carnage was crap, Meet Me wasn't bad, Strange was ok, Switcheroo sucked, and Hobgoblin started good and ended in mediocrity. Warriors, though, is definetly a return to USM greatness. Hopefully the next few arcs retain this level (Though, I doubt it with a slew of X-men villians and anti-heroes being introduced. . .).

UXM - Vaughan is brilliant. Everything except Shock and Awe (Which was blah) has been great. I just hope Singer does a decent job. I have this strange feeling he's going to do both Dark Pheonix and Apocalypse. . .

UFF - I've loved it since the end of the Doom arc (Which was terrible, in my opinion). N-Zone was fun and Nihil was a great (And sorely needed) ultimization. Think Tank was very creepy. Crossover has been a lot of fun and while, yes, I wish they had explained the time travel bit a little better, I can live with it because, hey, it's the Fantastic Four. Plus, Tomb of Namor looks excellent and President Thor looks like it will explain the repercussions of time travel.

The Ultimates - It's been great. . .but I'm sick of the Traitor storyline. It'd be fine if this was a monthly book, but it isn't. I honestly just want to move to Red Skull and Ultron. Still, Millar's writing and Hitch's art are both stll top-notch. As for Ultimates III, I like Loeb. There hasn't been anything from him that I've honestly disliked. While most of it is fun superheroics, he wrote the great Batman stories Long Halloween and Dark Victory. If he can give Ultimates that dark tone, he'll be set. And I'm actually impressed with Mad's art. As long as he doesn't screw up Tony or Thor, I'll be happy with U3.

Ultimate Iron-Man - Why are they letting Card get away with this drivel. It's totally murdering Tony's character. If Marvel could give me ONE thing next year, let it be that Card learns how to write and make UIM II an enjoyable experience.

Ultimate Galactus - Nightmare was creepy, but far too slow paced. Secret, so far, has been well played, I just hope it ends well. Extinction, hopefully, will be the mother of all Ultimate minis. I love Peterson's art and the arrival of Gah Lak Tus is right up Ellis' alley. You can't get much more hardcore sci-fi then that.

Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk AND Ultimate Invasion - While the name sucks, I have high hopes for Lindelof on UWvH. Lost is a great show and I hope this mini is equally great. Yu's art is also well-done. As for Invasion, I pray Bendis knows what he's doing. Ultimate Namor looks great and all, but Benids has been very hit or miss lately.

So, is it the fall of the Ultimate U? I doubt it. I jsut think we need to wrap up some of the current things (The Traitor story, Secret, UIM) and move on.
 

cmdrjanjalani

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
707
USM - Hobgoblin was too dragging, but the Warriors arc is great and I loved the annual. I have faith with Bendis that he can pull it off with the X-Men villains. After all, there was good reason why Bendis made Kitty into Parker's new GF.

UXM - Vaughn's run was awesome, the weakest storyline was Cry Wolf but none of it sucked. I am looking forward with Singer and even though he's a newbie in comic writing, he has Vaughn for assistance starting out from helping him break out Magneto. Good writers have to start somewhere after all.

Ultimates - Millar's excellent in this book but I will strangle him if the traitor will not be revealed by next issue. I'm a little reprehensive about Loeb in U3, but maybe it's just my fear of change.

Ultimate Fantastic Four - Millar's run is fun and Ellis kind of redeemed himself in N-Zone (although it took two issues too long to resolve) and Think Tank was amusing. It's good that the stories are only 3-parters to reduce those filler issues. Only problem is Millar may be stretching his crazy fantastic sci-fi stuff too much for an Ultimate book.

UIM - This book would have been okay... if it wasn't about Iron Man. Although I don't mind the premise that Tony is superhuman like the rest, Card is pushing it too far. There are a lot of ways to present Stark's childhood, and this was not the best way to do so.

Ultimate Galactus Trilogy - I like Nightmare because it was the first horror comic I've read for a while. It had a genuine creepy feeling and I never knew that you can transform Soviet super-soldiers into disturbing images of horror and disfigurement. I just hated how it took so long. Secret was a welcome change in tone, making the setting a little brighter but still consistent at the same time. I am looking forward for Extinction. I hope Ellis won't disappoint us.

Upcoming Ultimate mini-series - They're all pretty interesting, and although the premise of another Hulk vs. Wolverine does not really impress it. The fact that Lindelof will be writing this, and how I love Lost so much, I have high hopes for this one.
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
Hmm...

My favourite arcs from each title:
Ultimates - Gods and Monsters
Ultimate Spider-Man - Legacy
Ultimate Fantastic Four - Doom
Ultimate X-Men - The Tempest
 

Lynx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,489
Location
Orlando, FL
ProjectX2 said:
Hmm...

My favourite arcs from each title:
Ultimates - Gods and Monsters
Ultimate Spider-Man - Legacy
Ultimate Fantastic Four - Doom
Ultimate X-Men - The Tempest

I agree with the exception of Doom. Doom as a villian felt like watered-down Doom, and it sucked. I'd replace it with N-Zone (Though Crossover was close). 8)
 

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
Ok, since a new thread has been started about this now, let's look at it it properly.

What is coming up? UIM bites, we're all pretty much agreed on that, and we all have our own opinions on the current state of the ongoings.
But with Loeb/Mad taking on the flagship title for the Ultimate line, will this affect how the rest of the titles are played?
I'm sure that writers such as Vaughan have really looked at what Millar has been doing as a framework, how to play the characters, and how to ultimise successfully, and by jingo, I think he pulled it off.

But a new writer to the line who looked at Loeb's Ultimates (which will be a very different book) and maybe look at UIM, and maybe look at Millar's UFF and then consider the Venom treatment to be a good basis for ultimisation, would they write their own book differently? Very probably, the Ultimate line is moving in a direction that I'm not keen on, it's moving away from the reality based heroes and into a standard sci-fi fantasy superhero fight series.

And, is the line-up of Vaughan on UXM, Millar on Ultimates, and Ellis on UFF the best we're ever gonna get? How many great writers out there are left before they let anyone have a go?
 

Lynx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,489
Location
Orlando, FL
Guijllons said:
Ok, since a new thread has been started about this now, let's look at it it properly.

What is coming up? UIM bites, we're all pretty much agreed on that, and we all have our own opinions on the current state of the ongoings.
But with Loeb/Mad taking on the flagship title for the Ultimate line, will this affect how the rest of the titles are played?
I'm sure that writers such as Vaughan have really looked at what Millar has been doing as a framework, how to play the characters, and how to ultimise successfully, and by jingo, I think he pulled it off.

But a new writer to the line who looked at Loeb's Ultimates (which will be a very different book) and maybe look at UIM, and maybe look at Millar's UFF and then consider the Venom treatment to be a good basis for ultimisation, would they write their own book differently? Very probably, the Ultimate line is moving in a direction that I'm not keen on, it's moving away from the reality based heroes and into a standard sci-fi fantasy superhero fight series.

And, is the line-up of Vaughan on UXM, Millar on Ultimates, and Ellis on UFF the best we're ever gonna get? How many great writers out there are left before they let anyone have a go?

I think The Ultimates needs a new direction. I'm seriously getting burned out with the political stuff. Granted, the book is still damn good, but I think I'm ready for Ultimate Avengers. If they need to, they should create an Ultimate SHIELD/Reserves quarterly for the political fluff.

I have faith in Singer on UXM, though. Vaughan raves about his arc like it's the best thing since sliced bread, and I'm going to take his word for it. Plus, hey, X2 was damn good.

USM. . .well, I didn't particularly like Silver Sable in the game, but I hope Roxxon Corp will be intriguing. Deadpool and the Reavers should have been saved for UXM. The Countdown to 100 , though, sounds VERY good.

I love Millar on UFF. People can whine about it being too fantasy sci-fi, but it's the Fantastic Four, for God's sake! Traveling to the N-Zone was just as fantastical as time travel.

And the minis are all promising (Except UIM). I think I'll still be enjoying the Ultimate U for the time being.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
hmmmm....

Guij did you say Vaughan's been looking at Millar for framework? Vaughan's 20 times better with ultimizations. Millar's better at characterizing but Vaughan is responsible for making changes and subtly still leaving imprints of their 616 selves. And Vaughan keeps in mind what is happening in the rest of the universe. Millar's in his own world.
 

Latest posts

Top