The Greatest Superhero Videogame in The History of Ever...

Because it's newer it's better?

Where do you get this reasoning? Did it come out of a cereal box?

No but Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich while a 2005 game didn't add that much to the 2002 game.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance in 2006 pushed they type of game MORE than Freedom Force. Not an insult to Freedom Force at all I like it. You seem to be thinking I don't like the game which I do , I even mentioned it in random gaming.

I have to go with the consensus, as pretty as Ultimate Alliance was, the game itself was a dog.I traded mine in after a weekend and used the store credit to get DC Heroes and Ultimate Spiderman.

SSJmole said:
You seem to be thinking I don't like the game which I do , I even mentioned it in random gaming.
No I don't.**

I know you like the game.

I don't even dispute that Ultimate Alliance is pretty good next to games like 2005's Fantastic Four or the first movie-based Spider-Man game, and is generally better than 80% of any game based on superheroes (or even any other pre-existing license property). Hell it gets plus points for letting me play the Fantastic Four.

But for me, Ultimate Alliance lost points on three very crucial points that aren't ordinarily damaging to most games, but IMHO, pretty egregious for a superhero game:

First, it did not maximize the powers and skill set made available by venturing outside of the X-Men brand.
Balancing design for these kinds of games is difficult. You want to make sure that no single power or character breaks the game too much, and in doing so, you also want to create a moderately uniform skill set where each character has a power equivalency.

For example, everyone has a boost skill: Wolverine has a rage skill, Iceman gives everyone ice spikes, Jean Grey puts telekinetic shields on everyone. The Thing? He uh, makes everybody like tougher... or something. Don't ask.

The other problem is that you have to nerf the potential of some characters: Mr. Fantastic only stretches as far as the pre-animated powers let him and Ghost Rider doesn't use his bike. There isn't even a REASON why he doesn't have his bike! Not even, "Hello heroes, Mephisto has my bike and now I will join you in the fight against him, because that is one sweet hog he stole."

Second, they also put artificial limits to the maps. In the first X-Men Legends game, you were encouraged to explore past lava pits and lakes of acid to find secret stuff or whatever. In Ultimate Alliance, they abandoned that and made it so that Spider-Man can't web swing outside of a rock bridge nor can Doctor Strange fly over a pit because the level designers decided that they didn't want you to.

If you're playing a game with superheroes, then they should be able to super their way to the best of their abilities by supergoing anywhere they super want to be in the map. If you want to put limits on that, it's okay. Just give an in-game reason why you can't.

Third, the writing and voice acting was pretty crappy. I'm a big fan of squad-based games of any variation, because they give you this sense of command that strategy games always give you, but focus on teams rather than armies. Which is why one of the things that matters to me most in this subgenre of gaming is quality dialogue.

I can tolerate the idea that the characters all sound the same with the same "Unit reporting!" speech clip if I'm playing Command & Conquer, KKND or Dark Reign. But if it's a squad-based strategy game, you're expected to have a greater level of involvement and investment in your units.

Games like Jagged Alliance 2 and Commandos make it clear that when you close your eyes, you can tell whose who just from the dialogue. In JA2, Meltdown's "******* gun is out of ******* ammo!" is very different from Ivan's "****bag. I use all deh ammunishon for vepon." Hell even his nephew Igor sounds completely different.

But Ultimate Alliance does what I hate most, which is being handed a pack of characters whose feedback audio communicates nothing about their personality. I dislike the fact that Sue Richards sounds identical to Spider-Woman, not just in the acting but in the WRITING of her user feedback audio.

I know it sounds like I think Alliance is a terrible game, having so many negative things to say about it. It's not. It just happens to be the same neat design from the X-Men Legends series muddled by mediocre voice work and a nerfing decisions. In attempting to be bigger and bolder, they made a game that just wasn't as good.

**You seem to have a strange habit of thinking that I think you are saying and thinking things that you are not saying or thinking, despite the fact that I have read your mind often times enough to know better. Hell, I laugh at your jokes.

Upon further reflection, I conclude that Mole is still wrong.

Look how fair I am, I reassess my opinions!!

What glitches? I experienced none.

Clearly your PC is to blame.

No it's not my pc , my pc plays new games like Sims 2 , the movies even City of heroes with NO problems.

Freedom force however things like it takes too long for them to respond to the action you've taken , parts of maps disapear , the sound turns off on it's own , it just crashes some random times.

My friend has the exact same trouble too and he is using the latest alienware so I guarantee it's not his pc or mine

No it's not my pc , my pc plays new games like Sims 2 , the movies even City of heroes with NO problems.

Freedom force however things like it takes too long for them to respond to the action you've taken , parts of maps disapear , the sound turns off on it's own , it just crashes some random times.

My friend has the exact same trouble too and he is using the latest alienware so I guarantee it's not his pc or mine
I was actually joking, but seriously glitches can come from anywhere.

Even if your PC is top of the line, somewhere somehow there's going to be a game that it'll find to **** up.

I too play The Sims 2, The Movies and all that stuff, and I get no problems from the game.

Also, even the most satisfied of Alienware users is going to tell you that there's some game that hiccuped on their system, and to just automatically blame the game for such flaws instead of considering the possibility that there's just something going on between the hardware and the software shows a clear lack of intelligent understanding about the quirks of PCs.

In short, the sentence: "My friend has the exact same trouble too and he is using the latest alienware so I guarantee it's not his pc or mine" is utter nonsense.

The only time the software could be held completely at fault for being 'glitchy' is if it starts performing badly across a broad and comprehensive range of systems.

The only time the software could be held completely at fault for being 'glitchy' is if it starts performing badly across a broad and comprehensive range of systems.

It did! my pc , my friends and I know more people with same trouble , In fact we all bought the game together at the same time to play each other , EVERY one of us got the same glitches

it HAS to be the game if we are all getting the same trouble on diffrent pcs some of which are designed for gaming!

It did! my pc , my friends and I know more people with same trouble , In fact we all bought the game together at the same time to play each other , EVERY one of us got the same glitches

it HAS to be the game if we are all getting the same trouble on diffrent pcs some of which are designed for gaming!

the game dispises the UK.

You'd be surprised at how many 'designed for gaming' PCs kind of suck.

I don't mean to be insulting that way, it's just comparatively they do, at least that's what people who custom build their PC from gray market parts (such as myself) think.

Maybe Freedom Force just hates British PCs?

Seriously though. I said it'd only be true glitchy if it was ****ing up on a' broad, comprehensive range of PCs'.

It is in fairness, quite possible --- and wouldn't surprise me ---- that the first Freedom Force stops working with newer systems. It wouldn't be the first game to stop working on Vista or even on a version of XP that incorporates Service Pack 2.

You said your systems are new and top of the line, so I suspect that if they're not using Vista, then they're using XP with Service Pack 2, which is known to strangely cause some games to stop working.

I don't mean to be insulting that way, it's just comparatively they do, at least that's what people who custom build their PC from gray market parts (such as myself) think.

Seriously though. I said it'd only be true glitchy if it was ****ing up on a' broad, comprehensive range of PCs'.

It is in fairness, quite possible --- and wouldn't surprise me ---- that the first Freedom Force stops working with newer systems. It wouldn't be the first game to stop working on Vista or even on a version of XP that incorporates Service Pack 2.

You said your systems are new and top of the line, so I suspect that if they're not using Vista, then they're using XP with Service Pack 2, which is known to strangely cause some games to stop working.

yup, it's why i stopped playing counterstrike on my pc. steam kept going through debugging errors, so i gave up and just uninstalled the game entirely.

yup, it's why i stopped playing counterstrike on my pc. steam kept going through debugging errors, so i gave up and just uninstalled the game entirely.
I actually dislike the direction that gaming is taking with the whole "Everytime you go online, it will update itself!"

The game should work - as best as it can - out of the box. Granted, that might be asking much from a team that has to code for hundreds and thousands of different kinds of system configurations, but at least we're a whole decade away of having to write driver extensions for DOS and in the era of standardized DirectX protocols.

I prefer discrete updates like patches or expansion packs, rather than a continuous weekly barrage of software updates. If a problem comes up like "OMG this thing hates NVIDIA GeForce MX series" then a patch will do. I don't want to get constantly interrupted by a debugging process and server update hoo-ha.

well sorry but when it happens to all of us I blame the game and don't look for excuses with the pc.

Isn't it possible that you don't want there to be glitches and so refuse to believe it's the game not the pcs ?

As for the operating system some are Vista some Xp some Xp service pack 2 one is still 2000 and one pc is 98 , everyone same glitches no difference except the 2000 and 98 ones took longer to load it.

but you wont except it's the game so I'm stopping as I said before I just don't see the point in arguing over some crappy little pc game. So whatever talk about the game or something

well sorry but when it happens to all of us I blame the game and don't look for excuses with the pc.

Isn't it possible that you don't want there to be glitches and so refuse to believe it's the game not the pcs ?
No, not really.

I stopped caring about the game quite a while back, and merely pontificating about the idiosyncrasies of gaming software and PC hardware, and started out merely by pointing out the argumentative fallacy of "My PC is great, so it must be the game".

That said, it's not like ANY of the reasons I gave EXCUSES the game anyway. I'd be the first to admit that I'm pretty annoyed by the fact that I actually had to apply a major patch to game-stopping service pack related error after only two years. You'd think it'd still be designed to be compatible for software three years down the road.*

After all, nobody broke the Windows-designed Civilization II on Windows 98.

*Of course, one could argue that Microsoft never learned know how to design a software upgrade to XP without breaking something, but that's neither here nor there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back