The Greatest Superhero Videogame in The History of Ever...

How much better is this than the original Freedom Force?
A lot of minor differences, but fundamentally the same game, for better or for worse.

The powers system is no longer one continuous Energy X bar, but rather made up of three blocks meaning you can't rely on constant power usage, but instead, you have to have the exact energy blocks needed.

It makes for a balanced game, but sucks if you're spoiled by constantly getting away with abusing Man-Bot's regenerative rate. Also, they removed the underpower ability. Basically there's less wiggle room for power abuse.

The graphics are significantly better with some new particle effects and more vibrantly cel-shaded buildings, but if you still hate the camera angle, then you're not going to like it any better.

I wish I had more freedom to zoom in and create dynamic angles to view the action, because the game is kind of easy, and therefore I want to have fun giving orders and then just posing the camera for screenshots (which regular readers of The Sims 2 thread know I love to do).

Technical issues aside, the presentation is probably better than the first game. The story is just a lot more insane stupid fun that draws inspiration from the very best and worst of both Secret Wars and The Dark Phoenix Saga.

They've inserted far more comic book style cutscenes in between missions (probably because they no longer have to write so many origins), though some of the new heroes are a bit superfluous in an already crowded roster.

All in all, I think the game's a much better homage to superheroes than actual games involving Marvel & DC characters, and I'm still constantly amused by the level of plotting and writing involved in the second game that is just as intelligent as it is dressed in stupidity (if that makes any sense).

A lot of minor differences, but fundamentally the same game, for better or for worse.

The powers system is no longer one continuous Energy X bar, but rather made up of three blocks meaning you can't rely on constant power usage, but instead, you have to have the exact energy blocks needed.

It makes for a balanced game, but sucks if you're spoiled by constantly getting away with abusing Man-Bot's regenerative rate. Also, they removed the underpower ability. Basically there's less wiggle room for power abuse.

The graphics are significantly better with some new particle effects and more vibrantly cel-shaded buildings, but if you still hate the camera angle, then you're not going to like it any better.

I wish I had more freedom to zoom in and create dynamic angles to view the action, because the game is kind of easy, and therefore I want to have fun giving orders and then just posing the camera for screenshots (which regular readers of The Sims 2 thread know I love to do).

Technical issues aside, the presentation is probably better than the first game. The story is just a lot more insane stupid fun that draws inspiration from the very best and worst of both Secret Wars and The Dark Phoenix Saga.

They've inserted far more comic book style cutscenes in between missions (probably because they no longer have to write so many origins), though some of the new heroes are a bit superfluous in an already crowded roster.

All in all, I think the game's a much better homage to superheroes than actual games involving Marvel & DC characters, and I'm still constantly amused by the level of plotting and writing involved in the second game that is just as intelligent as it is dressed in stupidity (if that makes any sense).

Awesome. I'll definitely check this out. I played the first Freedom Force years ago, and just remember it being loads of fun.

Latest posts

Back