The home improvement thread (not "Home Improvement")

E

Excelsior Club
Re: The Social Thread - Fin Fang Foom Strikes Back (Vol. 5 of 42)

My wife and I decided to start painting the house. We're starting with the baby's room. When we bought the ouse it had been painted almost entirely in white flat paint. Boring. So we're adding some color.

However, I'm ticked at the laziness of whomever painted it. They didn't remove the trim, and it's a huge pain to take it off because now I will have to wood putty it to fix it where necessary. Plus it adds a bunch of time.

I hate when people do stuff like that half-assed.

My wife and I decided to start painting the house. We're starting with the baby's room. When we bought the ouse it had been painted almost entirely in white flat paint. Boring. So we're adding some color.

However, I'm ticked at the laziness of whomever painted it. They didn't remove the trim, and it's a huge pain to take it off because now I will have to wood putty it to fix it where necessary. Plus it adds a bunch of time.

I have a saying that I used in life...

"Anything worth doing is worth doing halfass."

I agree. Some things I can understand e.g if you have a heavy piece of furniture and you lay a carpet cutting around that furniture if done right does not look too bad.

But what you described is just been too lazy. I hate that. If I do something like paint a room ect.. I HAVE to do it the best I can or i'm not happy it.

Un-Like the idiots who half assed the tower of Pisa and then act like the fact it is leaning and not straight is a good thing

I just scoped out some targets for me and Ice, I think I'll dopplegang icehouse.

I must be the double of their SSJvegeta only I'm fatter , More attractive

but if they are our opposites there must be :

a friendly no violent version of VVD

a unfunny boring version of Moon

a pro-religion anti-science version of houde

a ugly Hibiki

a man that use every letter of the alphabet except E as a screen name

A version of TOG that dresses in man's clothes

and more

Indeed.

But then again I like physical labor and doing home repairs. So when something gets more complicated---it's just an excuse for me to go to Lowe's and get another tool.

Right now my favorite accessory for room remodeling is crown moldings. Done right....they add so much to rooms, doorways, arches, etc.

Right now my favorite accessory for room remodeling is crown moldings. Done right....they add so much to rooms, doorways, arches, etc.

Yes! We're adding crown molding to at least two rooms.

Crown molding... hmmm.

Nah, too easy.

Indeed.

But then again I like physical labor and doing home repairs. So when something gets more complicated---it's just an excuse for me to go to Lowe's and get another tool.

ok, next step is to grow a beard and change our name to Al. Since E has a wife he can change his name to Tim. HOHOHOHOHO. Yeah, I would totally watch that show now.

maybe we should start a decorating thread. i just finished redecorating my bedroom last week. its very red in here. red walls, dark red carpet etc. i think if i did something to the walls it would really break things up nicely. i have a big mirror already hanging over the wall where the radiator is. any tips on what else i could throw up?

I heard that if you made changes in your home, you can write it off as tax deduction or something like that, but it has to be certain things. I saw it in the news last week, but I forgot what those things were.

For my home, last August we torn down the all of the back porches (first and second floor, third had none). And of course, by "we" I mean the guy my father hired plus two of my brothers. In about 2-3 days or so, everything was taken down. The guy built a new porch, longer, and built one for the third floor as well (though that one is small) all in one month.

After that, he began tearing, sanding, painting, etc. around the house. The sides, and front and back. From about the end of September to January, the guy worked on fixing the outside of the house (he had some help from his sister and another guy from time to time). Our front stairs needed some new panel thingies which he replaced. The house outside looks almost brand new, and a whole lot better than before.

For the inside of my house, my father is going to turn an old closet (that used to be another stairs to the basement, but was closed off years ago) into the new pantry. The pantry we have now he will close off because he's going to extend our bathroom, which isn't very big. The basement's gonna turn into rooms and add a bathroom, but all this part will be a while before it will actually happen.

We painted the baby's room today. Just the walls, a lavender color. We will be putting up new trim and maybe a new door.

We ran into a problem, though. We got some pretty bad humidity while we were painting because the door was closed, and it affected the paint near the ceiling. We might have to go over it again. And that sucks.

We weren't going to put up crown molding in the bedrooms, but might need to in her room.

i accidentally scraped part of the wallpaper off the wales of my spanking new room. i must say that a big speaker will do wonders to cover up these sort of things. i need to get some bulbs for my lamps today. this 100 watt energy saving bulb is showing up my mistakes on the walls

We painted the baby's room today. Just the walls, a lavender color. We will be putting up new trim and maybe a new door.

Oh...nice color. For your daughter right? I'm no design expert...but I think maybe a subdued/simple style crown molding with a white/off-white color around the top of the room with maybe a vanilla color border with some kinda grass/vine/green theme to it going qround the middle of the room.

We ran into a problem, though. We got some pretty bad humidity while we were painting because the door was closed, and it affected the paint near the ceiling. We might have to go over it again. And that sucks.

How many coats did you use?

I heard that if you made changes in your home, you can write it off as tax deduction or something like that, but it has to be certain things. I saw it in the news last week, but I forgot what those things were.

It's true. But only to an extent. I never had to file for that stuff yet but I know you can.

Oh...nice color. For your daughter right? I'm no design expert...but I think maybe a subdued/simple style crown molding with a white/off-white color around the top of the room with maybe a vanilla color border with some kinda grass/vine/green theme to it going qround the middle of the room.

That would probably look pretty cool. The only thing is that we are trying to do this as quickly as possible in the event that we need to put the house up for sale quickly. We're sticking with one color for the walls per room.

I actually talked the wife into new interior doors and floor trim - I could't believe I got away with that.

How many coats did you use?

Just one, and now that it's dry it's apparent we'll have to do a second.

My brother and I redid our living room a few months ago. And by "My brother and I" I actually mean he did everything and I supervised. And by "supervised" I mean I sat around and read comics.

^ crack that whip!

anyone know where u can get some decent comic book art for walls?

my dad is remodeling his 100+ year old house. it is taking years to get done.
my roommates and i are in the process of painting our rent house. it's gonna be pretty uglytastic.

Last edited:
That would probably look pretty cool. The only thing is that we are trying to do this as quickly as possible in the event that we need to put the house up for sale quickly. We're sticking with one color for the walls per room.

Trust me....it adds that extra bit to rooms. But when selling a house----the 3 main features to highlight are the master bedroom, master bathroom, and the kitchen.

Everything else is just there and can be worked around.

Just one, and now that it's dry it's apparent we'll have to do a second.

I always go with 3 (except with reds---they always need a lot of coats to cover the streak look).

Latest posts

Back