The Indiana Jones Complete Timeline / Chronology

Those are retconned because he dies at the end of Crystal Skull.

Well, they were retconned nonetheless (despite Indy not dying at the end of Crystal Skull). I'm not sure why, though I suspect it has a lot to do with Lucas changing his mind and not wanting to portray Indy as a debilitated, somewhat kooky old man missing an eye, spending his days pestering his grandkids and daughter with his stories about "the good old days". I guess Lucas decided to inject a bit of respect into his character and allow his extreme later years to go untold (though his later years are certainly covered in Crystal Skull...Indy's 58 years old in that one!).

Well, they were retconned nonetheless (despite Indy not dying at the end of Crystal Skull). I'm not sure why, though I suspect it has a lot to do with Lucas changing his mind and not wanting to portray Indy as a debilitated, somewhat kooky old man missing an eye, spending his days pestering his grandkids and daughter with his stories about "the good old days". I guess Lucas decided to inject a bit of respect into his character and allow his extreme later years to go untold (though his later years are certainly covered in Crystal Skull...Indy's 58 years old in that one!).

It probably has to do with what Planet-man said in the previous post.

It probably has to do with what Planet-man said in the previous post.

I honestly didn't notice his post till now. Thats probably part of it too. Still, I remember reading something Lucas (or possibly Rick McCallum even, since I remember he worked closely on the Youn Indy DVDs) said which basically echoed my post: he didn't want to portray Indy as an extremely old man living out his last years in that sense. This was something I read awhile ago, when the Young Indy series started coming out on VHS tapes (late 90's) with the Doug Hall/90-Year Old Indy segments removed. I think KotCS is sort of an answer to that sentiment (at least for now serving to wrap up Indy's story with the neat, happy ending).

I honestly didn't notice his post till now. Thats probably part of it too. Still, I remember reading something Lucas (or possibly Rick McCallum even, since I remember he worked closely on the Youn Indy DVDs) said which basically echoed my post: he didn't want to portray Indy as an extremely old man living out his last years in that sense. This was something I read awhile ago, when the Young Indy series started coming out on VHS tapes (late 90's) with the Doug Hall/90-Year Old Indy segments removed. I think KotCS is sort of an answer to that sentiment (at least for now serving to wrap up Indy's story with the neat, happy ending).

Yeah, that's probably why they were originally removed. I hate the Old Indy bookends because he's completely out of character in them.

KotCS wraps it up a lot better.
Indy had a son, not a daughter. I really, really doubt either Marion or Indy would want a child at their age.

(also, the 10-year-old Indy adventures were great)

I like 'em. They're a bit heavy-handed with the history lesson approach, but they're not bad to watch, especially if you like history.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's probably why they were originally removed. I hate the Old Indy bookends because he's completely out of character in them.

Agreed. It could be argued its a logical result of old age, but I never liked them when watching the series as a kid. I could believe the parts involving Young Indy (Corey Carrier or Sean Patrick Flannery), but the bookends always stuck out like a sore thumb.

KotCS wraps it up a lot better.
Indy had a son, not a daughter. I really, really doubt either Marion or Indy would want a child at their age.

I like 'em. They're a bit heavy-handed with the history lesson approach, but they're not bad to watch, especially if you like history.

I agree. I didn't dislike the first five episodes, just though the pacing was too slow and found Carrier uninteresting as Young Indy. They're still entertaining, but I woudn't be as quick to rewatch my first volume of the series as I would Volumes 2 or 3. I enjoyed all of Flannery's episodes, as there was more action and more Indy-like overall.

I'm glad they released the series on DVD, I just wish they'd offered a more pared down version instead. I think Lucas wasted a lot of time and money putting together all the various special feature documentaries in regards to the general public. I know Lucas intended the series as a teaching tool, but I don't know of any schools using Young Indy episodes in their History lessons. At almost (or over depending on where you buy) $100 for whats basically a shortened TV Season collection is steep. I think overall that will hurt the sales of the series on DVD. It'd probably have been a better financial move to release versions with just basic special features and priced between $30-$60. I'm no business professional, so maybe I'm wrong.

Still, I shelled out the money for them (I actually got them on sale on Amazon a month or so ago, they were going for $60 as a pre-Indy 4 promotion I guess). I managed to buy the first two at $60, but waited on the third volume and had to pay full price.

Latest posts

Back