The John Byrne Thread

E

Excelsior Club
This is old, but worth bringing back every once in a while.

This is John Byrne talking about satrical newspaper The Onion on his message board:

"The Onion" lost all credibility for me a while back when they did a "story" on the Hudson River cleanup GE was forced to do. As some of you may recall, one of my neighbors is a GE veep, and he was directly in charge of this, so from him I found out all kinds of details the press did not bother to pass along to the public. Since the Onion apparently gets its info from other papers, the story was full of inaccuracies.

What are they, Michael Moore?

Anyway, I stopped reading the Onion from then on.

Read it yourself at http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3647&PN=1&TPN=1 . Actually I'm shocked it's still up. Notice the people trying to draw attention away from his post.

Re: All time greatest Byrne quote ever

If I were John Byrne, I'd go around lighting people on fire saying, "Burn in Byrne's burns!"

It comes as no surprise to me that he's a complete moron that can't tell a parody website when he sees one. After all, he is the one who brought us the Post-Crisis Superman crap.

Bass said:
I don't get it.

What's the Onion?

www.theonion.com

It's the most ridiculously obvious satrical/parody newspaper ever made. I don't see how anyone can look at the paper, the website, or any of their products and NOT know that it's a satrical paper. To claim that one has read an article and paid enough attention to it to be able to take note of and point out "inaccuracies" - and NOT get that it is satire - is dumbfounding.

Oh, yeah, and it is very funny.

I go there - for the first time ever - and the headline is
U.S. HOLDS GOING-OUT-OF-BUSINESS SALE

U.S_0.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This reminds me of "the true successor of Monty Python" (John Cleese), Chris Morris' "Today the Day" and "Brasseye" tv series.

Which were brilliant.

Last edited:

This is not the first time this happens, real newspapers have used The Onion as a source several times, and it will happen again.

John Byrne-in-hell is an idiot.

btw, E, the onion has podcasts. :lol:

Last edited:

marvelman said:
John Byrne-in-hell is an idiot.

btw, E, the onion has podcasts. :lol:

Yeah, they are only about a minute long though. It's just a file of the daily radio news.

yeah. but i still got them. they're rediculous.

also, check out the They Might Be Giants podcast. VERY funny.

marvelman said:

Thank you sir, I will do that.

marvelman said:

I like them.

i love the onion, even if sometimes it follows a formula in the way the story is written.

there are some great headlines though, especially in past news. such as:

H O L Y S H * T

MAN LANDS ON THE
FREAKING MOON!

One of mine is from Our Dumb Century, in the front page story about the US entering the war, and the headline is

WA-
(headline continued on next page)​

I love the one where they said that, in a patriotic gesture, they had placed Christopher Reeves atop the Washington Monument...

I'm in milwaukee, and it still weirds me out that people think its an Online thing.... I've been getting the paper version since I was a kid. It's in like, every restaurant and bookstore.

John Byrne pukes his opinions

From Lying in the Gutters:

John Byrne Vs Alan Moore. Again.

"It's a shame, then, to see characters like this fall into the hands of the deconstructionists -- especially someone like Moore, who seems to really have no story to tell beyond "everything you know is a lie"."

John Byrne Vs England. Again.

"Something happened to England after I left. The people who had fought thru the Blitz, survied Dunkirk, produced Shakespeare, carved an empire upon which the sun never set --- morphed into a nation of nihilistic whiners. 'Fascist England,' a term that could be coined only by someone who had never personally experienced Fascism. "What the %#^# happened?"

John Byrne Banning Any Discussion Of "Superman Returns."

"I am sick to death of opening this thread and finding post after post that clearly shows me that I, and those who think like me, have been wasting our time for the past twenty, thirty, forty years, working on superhero comics. None of the lessons we have tried to teach have sunk in. Superman can desert the Earth. Lois can have a bastard kid. Doesn't matter. Just make it fast and loud and shiny. "No more. I'm shutting down this thread. If you want to discuss this movie, find somewhere else to do it. Such chatter is no longer welcome here."

Full linkage at http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?column=litg

John Byrne criticizing Alan Moore's storytelling is like...geez...there's nothing like it actually.

Re: John Byrne pukes his opinions

Read this on MW. I was thinking of posting it here, but then I thought like the mods. Didn't want it to get out of hand, which couldve eventually.

Latest posts

Back