The John Byrne Thread

Re: John Byrne pukes his opinions

Ice said:
Read this on MW. I was thinking of posting it here, but then I thought like the mods. Didn't want it to get out of hand, which couldve eventually.

Understandable, since Millar is a comic writer as well. Thankfully we don't carry that burden.

Which is not to say that this should turn into a Byrne insult contest.

E said:
From Lying in the Gutters:

Full linkage at http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?column=litg

John Byrne criticizing Alan Moore's storytelling is like...geez...there's nothing like it actually.

yeah, dude is a douche.

thankfully, anyone who criticizes Moore as being one dimensional (or really criticizes him in general) rightfully isn't taken seriously.

God, John Byrne. Is there a bigger joke walking around? Naw. Maybe he should just start going around doing stand-up at conventions. That way we could laugh AND throw stuff at him.

Iceshadow said:
Chuck Austen?
Oh, wait. That was rhetorical.
Whoa.

No. Way.

Chuck Austen is like a saint compared to Byrne. But alone, Austen isn't bad. Just not very good writing.

Ice said:
Chuck Austen is like a saint compared to Byrne. But alone, Austen isn't bad. Just not very good writing.
Bet none of Byrne's characters end up with two wangs...

I love his claim that Alan Moore is bad because he "alters the core concepts" of characters. Yeah, Marvelman wasn't a ****ty rip-off of Captain Marvel that was in desperate need of change, he was an a definitive archetype for all superheroes. And we all know how beloved and influential Swamp Thing and the Charlton characters were before Moore went and ruined them with his ridiculous notion of "change" and "originality". What!?!?

moonmaster said:
I love his claim that Alan Moore is bad because he "alters the core concepts" of characters. Yeah, Marvelman wasn't a ****ty rip-off of Captain Marvel that was in desperate need of change, he was an a definitive archetype for all superheroes. And we all know how beloved and influential Swamp Thing and the Charlton characters were before Moore went and ruined them with his ridiculous notion of "change" and "originality". What!?!?

Don't forget what a hackjob he did to Liefeld's master creation, Supreme. How dare he.

I know this thread is going to turn into a bunch of insults like:

JOHN BYRNE

Byrne is just a bitter old man. I mean, he pretty much pisses on everyone else because its better then his stuff. He pisses and moans like a two year old, rather then just taking his seat among the greats like he should. . .

Sad, really.

Wanna hear Byrne defend the N-word and call Latina women with blonde hair "prostitutes"?

Check this out.

moonmaster said:
Wanna hear Byrne defend the N-word and call Latina women with blonde hair "prostitutes"?

Check this out.

That is good too.

Nothing will ever beat his dopey comment on The Onion and how he can't take it seriously as a news source. :lol: :lol: :lol: - that thread is in the museum I believe.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Byrne

This is a gold mine of Byrne quotes. Goddamn, the dude is a jackass.

I personally enjoy this one. "Get this into your tiny brain: trade paperbacks are not the 'future' of this industry. They are another industry entirely, as movies are to TV. And, like movies, they are going to become increasingly dependent upon new material as the prima donnas who work in comics these days increasingly demonstrate themselves incapable of producing their product on schedule -- even schedules which, as in this instance, they have set themselves! Go on -- continue congratulating these unprofessional elitists for their failures. Pretty soon there will be nothing but trades -- and then, without reprint material to fill them up, those will start coming out later and later and later.
How about if we just think of it this way: PEOPLE WHO MISS DEADLINES ARE LAZY, ARROGANT, UNPROFESSIONAL C*CKS*CKERS WHO ARE IN NO SMALL WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF THE INDUSTRY. AND THE 'FANS' WHO SUPPORT THEM ARE BRAINDEAD ELITIST MORONS."

Last edited:

Zombipanda said:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Byrne

This is a gold mine of Byrne quotes. Goddamn, the dude is a jackass.

I personally enjoy this one. "Get this into your tiny brain: trade paperbacks are not the 'future' of this industry. They are another industry entirely, as movies are to TV. And, like movies, they are going to become increasingly dependent upon new material as the prima donnas who work in comics these days increasingly demonstrate themselves incapable of producing their product on schedule -- even schedules which, as in this instance, they have set themselves! Go on -- continue congratulating these unprofessional elitists for their failures. Pretty soon there will be nothing but trades -- and then, without reprint material to fill them up, those will start coming out later and later and later.
How about if we just think of it this way: PEOPLE WHO MISS DEADLINES ARE LAZY, ARROGANT, UNPROFESSIONAL C*CKS*CKERS WHO ARE IN NO SMALL WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF THE INDUSTRY. AND THE 'FANS' WHO SUPPORT THEM ARE BRAINDEAD ELITIST MORONS."

Just for that, I'm going to start buying 5 copies of Ultimates 2, and zero copies of whatever he's working on that is so unimportant I don't even know the name of it. :D

What we've seen here today is an all too typical example of an all too typical attitude: those who are the loudest to defend their "freedom of speech" are the quickest to try to slap down anyone whose "speech" differs from theirs. The standard "all opinions are valid as long as I agree with them".
What a hypocrite.

I can't wait to go back to my comic shop to tell them that they can tell Byrne to....

....nevermind. I better not say it here.

I read that whole article.

I would pay money to slap this guy.

Alan Moore and Morrison are some of the greatest writers in the history of ever.

and Blond Latino chicks are hookers. :?

I don't have a single comic ever written by him or drawn.

Funny how that works.

Victor Von Doom said:
Who is this prick anyways?
He used to be someone who's work was highly appreaciated back in the old days. He's drawn and written the FF, X-Men, among other comics.

Though his work may still be respected now for what it's worth, he himself can't even be respected for any reason as an individual.

Is anyone else struck by the hilarity in the suggestion that delays are killing the industry? I always thought it was bad writing.

I wish I was as smart as John Byrne.

E said:
Is anyone else struck by the hilarity in the suggestion that delays are killing the industry? I always thought it was bad writing.

I wish I was as smart as John Byrne.

Delays are the problem??? Whew. Good to know. And here I was gonna blame it on Bendis and Card.

Latest posts

Back