The Last Airbender movie (watch the cartoon instead)

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender Movie

To be honest, I don't care about Jackson being in Twilight. Every actor has done a terrible movie at some point. He certainly looks the part, which is a plus, of course.

Fair enough.

Still, I'd like some reassurance this isn't going to be the next Eragon.

You're saying don't look at Sokka, but not Zuko?

I was fine until I saw McCarthey as Zuko.

1229109412052.gif

That guy didn't even do anything in TWILIGHT. He just stood in the background looking awkward.

This cast is odd. Too odd.

That guy didn't even do anything in TWILIGHT. He just stood in the background looking awkward.

This cast is odd. Too odd.

I'm more shocked that you had went to see TWILIGHT and lived to tell the tale.

I will support the Langsta Rule of Casting and point out that this is absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

Why are a bunch of white kids playing brown-skinned waterbenders, the Asian avatar and the bad guy who was played by a Filipino-American?

It's ****ing insulting and it's ****ing stupid, and I can't find any fathomable excuse for why this is so.

I will support the Langsta Rule of Casting and point out that this is absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

Why are a bunch of white kids playing brown-skinned waterbenders, the Asian avatar and the bad guy who was played by a Filipino-American?

It's ****ing insulting and it's ****ing stupid, and I can't find any fathomable excuse for why this is so.
I never found Sokka & sis to be 'brown-skinned'. Sokka looked more like tanned to me.

I never found Sokka & sis to be 'brown-skinned'. Sokka looked more like tanned to me.

The Water Tribe culture is really heavily based off of Inuit culture.

Some Inuits:

russia421.jpg

I think the Water Tribe people are brown-skinned. They might be only as brown-skinned as a heavily tanned white person, but it's still offensive to cast white kids, especially since they're practically glowing in the pictures provided.

Last edited:

The Water Tribe culture is really heavily based off of Inuit culture.

Yeah, the way I always saw it was that Air Nomads are based off of Tibet, Water Tribes off Inuits, Earth Kingdom off of China, and Fire Kingdom off of Japan.

Incidentally, I wasn't implying they were all Asian, so much as that they're from a diverse set of non-white ethnicities.

And when I meant brown-skinned I was actually trying to translate "kayumanggi" which is a Philippinoe expression for a skin color that is brown but not African brown, so it probably hews closer to tan or 'mulatto'.

Because it's America. And in America, white's are charismatic, noble of heart, lacking in faults, and pretty much perfect.

Everyone else just do drugs and get white girls pregnant.

:roll:

Incidentally, I wasn't implying they were all Asian, so much as that they're from a diverse set of non-white ethnicities.

And when I meant brown-skinned I was actually trying to translate "kayumanggi" which is a Philippinoe expression for a skin color that is brown but not African brown, so it probably hews closer to tan or 'mulatto'.

We just call that Hispanic, or if you're from Texas: Mexican.

Ah, Texas. The place of crazy Republicans, damn good BBQ, and Butt-Numb-A-Thon.

I wasn't talking about 'African brown' either. :p

Eh, I can see how casting would get very difficult, because I'd imagine finding good actors at these ages is tough, I just hope they choose the best and add a little make up, than get a ****ty perfomance

I just hope they choose the best and add a little make up, than get a ****ty perfomance

But see, if you say that they should focus on performance (which they don't seem to be), then that implies that there aren't talented ethnic actors.

I'm not trying to say that's what you meant. It obviously isn't. But if you describe a mostly-white cast for arguably completely non-white characters while talking about talent, that's how it comes out.

We just call that Hispanic, or if you're from Texas: Mexican.
Ah, Texas. The place of crazy Republicans, damn good BBQ, and Butt-Numb-A-Thon.
People here in Chicago, at least from my experience, also say 'Mexican'.

And then all the Puerto Rican kids get pissed when someone calls them Mexican.

Latest posts

Back