The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (spoilers lie henceforth)

Re: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

1968 is the year the movie Yellow Submarine came out...

I'd bet my right shoe that those "amoral pop-stars on the edge of psychological disintegration" are the Beatles.

So lets figure this out, kids...

1910----
- Alan Quartermain - H. Rider Haggard
- Mina Harker - Bram Stoker
- Thomas Carnacki - William Hope Hodgson
- A.J. Raffles - E.W. Hornung (Arthur Conan Doyle's Brother-in-Law)
- Orlando - Various Authors, though I think he'll draw most directly from Virginia Woolf
- Mack the Knife - Bertolt Brecht
- Pirate Jenny - Bertolt Brecht (like Mack the Knife, will be from the Threepenny Opera)

Any theories on who the Moonchild could be? Think Pop Culture with Movies and Television today... I guarentee this Antichrist character is going to be the symbol of everything that's going wrong with culture in this day and age... I keep thinking back to Harry Potter, as he's the closest thing to a major cultural icon that bridges both America and Britain... But he's not necessarily a bad thing... I dunno. Any other theories?

Last edited:

I keep thinking that Harry Potter is that Anti-Christ like character as well... in 2008, he'll be 28 years old, is that correct?

Oh man, I don't know what triggered this thought in my mind, but you know what would be awesome? If Orlando (an immortal shape-shifter) actually turned out to be Dr. Who. Anybody else think that would be kick ***?

Anyone read The Black Dossier yet? I'm surprised that Jess Nevins's annotations are being posted everywhere, but there is no discussion...

Could someone give me a breakdown of the trade(s) available for this series? How many volumes? Whats the Black Dossier? I've seen ads for it, but nothing descriptive about what it contains.

There are two trades, titled simply The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 1 (which collects the first 6 issue volume) and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 2 (which collects the second 6 issue volume).

The Black Dossier is sort of a companion piece. It started off as a sourcebook, but slowly evolved into a seemingly "Volume 3". It's got a 3d section, Shakespeare play written by Moore, some kind of Fanny Hill erotica and various other weird stuff thought up by Moore. It's supposed to link between the previous two volumes and the real "Volume 3" which is going to be 3 72 page issues under the name of "Century".

The books have lots of fans and lots of haters, and I for one enjoy them. You should check them out.

There are two trades, titled simply The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 1 (which collects the first 6 issue volume) and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 2 (which collects the second 6 issue volume).

The Black Dossier is sort of a companion piece. It started off as a sourcebook, but slowly evolved into a seemingly "Volume 3". It's got a 3d section, Shakespeare play written by Moore, some kind of Fanny Hill erotica and various other weird stuff thought up by Moore. It's supposed to link between the previous two volumes and the real "Volume 3" which is going to be 3 72 page issues under the name of "Century".

The books have lots of fans and lots of haters, and I for one enjoy them. You should check them out.

I'm definitly thinking about it, thats why I asked. Thanks for the info. I'm probably gonna order them through my LCS.

Oh ****! I didn't know Black Dossier was out already! So it came out Nov. 14? I have to pick that up.

I'm not sure I'm gonna. It looks like something I'll never read. :|

I just don't think it's something I'm going to enjoy - I'm not really that enthusiastic about source books, let alone one that's supposed to contain a Shakespeare play.

If I see it, I'll give it a looksee, but I doubt I'll buy it.

CENTURY - That I'll definitely pick up.

Oh ****! I didn't know Black Dossier was out already! So it came out Nov. 14? I have to pick that up.

Ditto. Have to pick it up when I order some of my comics from Amazon later this month.

I ordered this last year as a Christmas gift for my brother who enjoyed the first two volumes.

I find ti humourous he is getting it this year for a Christmas gift.

Honestly, I probably enjoyed the bumper material in Volume 1 more than I did the actual comic. So I'll have to get this. Sounds like a helluva lot of fun.

LITG:

I picked up my copy of "Black Dossier" over the weekend. And while fellow Brits are anxiously expecting their copy from Amazon.com, I understand it's expected to reach you... just after Christmas.

Ouch.

As for the US version, it sold out from Diamond in a day. A hardcover graphic novel. Quite unusual.

LITG:

I picked up my copy of "Black Dossier" over the weekend. And while fellow Brits are anxiously expecting their copy from Amazon.com, I understand it's expected to reach you... just after Christmas.

Ouch.

As for the US version, it sold out from Diamond in a day. A hardcover graphic novel. Quite unusual.

Everyone keeps saying this and then only links to the Amazon page... the only thing that points to this is the "shipping every 1 to 3 weeks" which has been like that since the day it came out... so it's obvious it's going to take a while to get anywhere.

Ultimate Houde said:
How can a story, which involves needless sex between Quarterman and Murray, and a rape scene which involves Invisible man and Hyde, after which Hyde feeds him too Nemo, be considered good?

The story was pure bull****. It's revolting on all levels, and makes me want to vomit. The only good part in that story was the virus that killed the aliens, other than that, it was a waste of my time.

Well, I don't think the sex scene was needless, it's just it didn't really get built up much. I think it would have made much more sense later on, but it didn't bother me that much.

The Invisible Man/Hyde rape/beating thing was just to show how savage Hyde could get and how much he cared for Mina. Oh, and Hyde didn't actually feed him to Nemo (though I originally thought this at first). The blood appears everywhere because it's taken that long for Griffin's body (or what's left of it) to become visible again.

I enjoyed it. I don't think it's as bad as everyone thinks it is.

Well, I don't think the sex scene was needless, it's just it didn't really get built up much. I think it would have made much more sense later on, but it didn't bother me that much.

The Invisible Man/Hyde rape/beating thing was just to show how savage Hyde could get and how much he cared for Mina. Oh, and Hyde didn't actually feed him to Nemo (though I originally thought this at first). The blood appears everywhere because it's taken that long for Griffin's body (or what's left of it) to become visible again.

I enjoyed it. I don't think it's as bad as everyone thinks it is.

im with you.

Latest posts

Back