The Music Video Thread

moonmaster

Without him, all of you would be lost souls roamin
I'm pretty sure we don't have one of these...

Last night I was looking at music videos on YouTube and determined that the following three are all undoubtedly awesome:

"Just" by Radiohead -
[youtube]R5X7HKxpiQA[/youtube]

"Rabbit in your Headlights" by UNKLE and Thom Yorke -
[youtube]Z3ClCwcCvdQ[/youtube]

"Buddy Holly" by Weezer -
[youtube]mgR0_wT-rH0[/youtube]

Last edited:
The two greatest videos of all time are still Thriller and Sabotage. Nothing will ever surpass them. Period. Game over, guys.

Last edited:
The two greatest videos of all time are still Thriller and Sabotage. Nothing will ever surpass them. Period. Game over, guys.

I dunno

Rio and Addicted to Love were awesome too.

Two more:

Karma Police by Radiohead
[youtube]5LeLAELIxKY[/youtube]

Smiley Faces by Gnarls Barkley
[youtube]m7Y-T__h4Oc[/youtube]
For shame.

I was actually thinking of this thread today and why it never caught on.
Because you started it.

Obviously.
Sabotage is pretty good but Thriller is horribly overrated.

Good music videos are basically great, concise little short films. If you need 14 minutes and all kinds of cinematic crap to fill up a video, then you aren't doing it right.
My sig already contains a link to the greatest music video of our time, but this one's great too:

[youtube]maKVPe677Jc[/youtube]
Yo' video ain't workin'.

Hint: Don't use videos posted by the record company/some official group. They never embed for some reason.

As for the video itself, I don't get it. It just looks like a typical performance video.

Last edited:
Okay, here's David Bowie in Ashes To Ashes, which at the time(1980, pre-MTV) was the most expensive music video ever produced.

[youtube]r44OFO-MNPo[/youtube]

The thing is, it's a great vid and all, but like a lot of Bowie's videos it isn't even really necessary. Just a bunch of hilariously weird, crazy, vaguely symbolic and generally very Bowieish stuff going on when at the end of the day the song speaks for itself. Especially here, because IMO it might be his best song ever.

Last edited:
Buddy Holly is the greatest music video ever made, past present, and future.

Buddy Holly is the greatest music video ever made, past present, and future.
I'm inclined to agree.

I remember seeing it for the first time when I was little. I used to watch "Happy Days" reruns all the time, so I was quite astounded and couldn't figure out how the hell they superimposed them into clips from the show.

And the "To Be Continued" in the middle is great.
I like Keep Fishing better, but just barely.
That one is fun too. I also like "Perfect Situation" and that new one for "Pork and Beans", with all the internet people in it. Weezer makes great videos.

Last edited:
Okay, here's David Bowie in Ashes To Ashes, which at the time(1980, pre-MTV) was the most expensive music video ever produced.

[youtube]r44OFO-MNPo[/youtube]

The thing is, it's a great vid and all, but like a lot of Bowie's videos it isn't even really necessary. Just a bunch of hilariously weird, crazy, vaguely symbolic and generally very Bowieish stuff going on when at the end of the day the song speaks for itself. Especially here, because IMO it might be his best song ever.
Wow.

I can only assume that they spent all the money on cocaine.

This is my favorite Bowie video, mainly because of Bowie making squinty eyes, the winking photo, and the Chinese chick lip syncing to Bowie's voice.

[youtube]qSfndZfKFNU[/youtube]

Wow.

I can only assume that they spent all the money on cocaine.

Yeah, it's kind of baffling without the knowledge that it's pre-MTV and thus "expensive music videos" meant the ones wear people wore costumes and the contrast was turned up a lot.

Edit: I couldn't even finish watching that China Girl video. It's a miracle that guy even got popular.

Last edited:
Speaking of New Order in the 11 Favourite Artists thread, their video for "True Faith" is fun. Easily one of their best songs, right behind Bizarre Love Triangle in my mind.

[youtube]og1HAkjOuL0[/youtube]

The funny thing is I had never seen them before I saw this video a while ago. Bernard Summer looked so perfectly like I'd always imagined it's amazing.

Considering that Beck is really a Secret Scientologist, I think it's now very clear that the music video for his song "Sexx Laws" is actually an intricate visualization of the history and philosophies of Scientology, including the part with Jack Black:

[youtube]XC7ucvAAVvw[/youtube]

Oh, I get it. Xenu is the space pirate and the spinning banjo-playing zebra man is just a metaphor for L. Ron Hubbard.

Last edited:
I've been looking at Belle & Sebastian videos on YouTube. I've noticed that the band's happy-go-lucky music and the way their videos are shot make them look kind of like extended Mentos commercials:

[youtube]5YObYOHIZkk[/youtube]

[youtube]NwDLpFqyxz8[/youtube]

mentosfresh.jpg

Damn Europeans.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back