The New Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. (major spoilers)

Who's going to be the new Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

• Total voters

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
NRAMA: Joe, the solicitation for January's She-Hulk #15 mentions the "new director of S.H.I.E.L.D." but not by name. Now we don't try to spoil stories for readers here at Newsarama but [the stark reality is] we have heard some rumblings about who this may be. You want to get out in front of this one and perhaps say what you can about this character's identity?

JQ: The character will be a true American patriot.
So who do you guys think it will be? Captain America? Iron Man? The Return of Fury or someone else? Spill the beans!

Re: The New Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.

But could she be counted as a "True American Patriot?"

I'm saying it'll be Captain America after this whole mess is said and done.

howardduck.jpg

U.S.Agent all the way!

He has something or another to do with Civil War, right? Or am I making that up?

Really? Because Ben Grimm is doing the exact same thing...

When/where did that happen?

Or is that an in-joke that I don't understand...? [/paranoid]

Really? Because Ben Grimm is doing the exact same thing...

When/where did that happen?

Or is that an in-joke that I don't understand...? [/paranoid]
I don't know. I was just told that a little while ago. It's not a joke or anything.

Yes, U.S. Agent is said to flee to Cananda and join Omega Flight and Ben Grimm left the country for France.

I would have said that it would be The Patriot if not for the fact that he is dead :wink:

I was thinking that Tony has to be in a position of power after Civil War, because if things go back to normal and everyone forgets he's betrayed them, then it will be stupid.

So, Tony Stark for President or Director of SHIELD?

I don't Nick Fury back yet - he's better when he's hiding out, and commanding Winter Soldier. :)

I was thinking that Tony has to be in a position of power after Civil War, because if things go back to normal and everyone forgets he's betrayed them, then it will be stupid.

So, Tony Stark for President or Director of SHIELD?

I don't Nick Fury back yet - he's better when he's hiding out, and commanding Winter Soldier. :)

Well it would explain the fact that he may not be the iron man in mighty avengers. I hear it might be Pym.

None of those options sound particularly good to me.

If the hints and rumors about post-Civil War MU are to believed, I don't see how it could be Cap.

And what's so patriotic about Tony Stark?

And what's so patriotic about Tony Stark?
Perhaps this is a controversial view, but what if we assume that the cornerstone of American national identity is not freedom, in the sense of freedom of civil liberties, but free trade -- anybody can come to America to set up a business, earn a living, and (if they're successful) turn a living.

Everything else -- the freedom of expression, or assembly, etc. -- is enabled by the capital generated by free trade. In the ideal marketplace, you don't need super-powers to become successful; just a good product. And in the world of geopolitics, nowhere is the marketplace freer than in America.

(Incidentally, Joe Caesy did an admirable job of exploring this very theme in WildC.A.T.S. v.3.0.)

In that sense, Tony Stark is a "true American patriot", because he represents one who has not only enabled further trade, but also uplifited his own status as a result of it.

Take note, I definitely DO NOT agree with this assessment of the US; i'm just saying it's one way of percieving things.

Having said that, I don't believe that he will be the next Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Last edited:

Crap! I voted wrong. I voted for Fury when I meant to vote for Tony.

I mean I want Fury to come back and run the show....but I think Tony will run it.

This thought is based on the Mighty Avengers preview/Bendis teases in Wizard a few months ago. When reading the preview you get a feel that Iron Man isn't Tony. It's someone who's using the Iron Tech for the first time.

Tony can't play Iron Man when you've got a global security force to run.

Latest posts

Back