The New Off Topic Thread 5. This isn't your parent's off topic thread!

The countdown to Judgement day has begun (no not October, 21 - I mean like in T2)

Floreano and his colleagues outfitted robots with light sensors, rings of blue light, and wheels and placed them in habitats furnished with glowing "food sources" and patches of "poison" that recharged or drained their batteries. Their neural circuitry was programmed with just 30 "genes," elements of software code that determined how much they sensed light and how they responded when they did. The robots were initially programmed both to light up randomly and to move randomly when they sensed light.

"We set up a situation common in nature—foraging with uncertainty," Floreano says. "You have to find food, but you don't know what food is; if you eat poison, you die." Four different types of colonies of robots were allowed to eat, reproduce, and expire.
By the 50th generation, the robots had learned to communicate—lighting up, in three out of four colonies, to alert the others when they'd found food or poison. The fourth colony sometimes evolved "cheater" robots instead, which would light up to tell the others that the poison was food, while they themselves rolled over to the food source and chowed down without emitting so much as a blink.

punk-gets-owned-by-his-dad-6406.jpg

It's Castiel from Supernatural.

I just wrote an essay about Nintendo and how innovative the Wii was but obviously I should have been writing about how much of a genius Shigeru Miyamoto was instead.

Latest posts

Back