The Pen & Paper RPG Thread

Oh yeah, of course! No worries on that. Just let me know when you do. Hell, let me know how your current game goes, too.

The SAGA system seems to be pretty good. Isn't D&D 4th supposed to be based on it?

FIFTH AGE used the SAGA system. But the SAGA system was altered slightly by TSR for their short-lived MARVEL SUPER HEROES RPG. I was loads of fun. I ran a game for a year, the longest I've ever run a game, using that system.

While it was good, a lot of the system was either vague or non-existent. What's more, the game works thusly; you play cards and you trump (play additional cards) when playing the appropriate suit. So there's the Strength suit (for punching people), the Agility suit (for moving and dodging), the Intellect suit (for knowing things), and the Willpower suit (for leading others). While by itself this is pretty cool, a big problem was that, by far and wide, Strength and Agility were the best suits. Willpower was a great suit if you were a mind controlling type of hero. Intellect sucked. Even if you were a super-scientist, Intellect didn't let you do much.

What's more, after playing years of WoD and GURPS (ugh, how I hate GURPS), I've gotten cranky and demand certain things of my roleplaying experience. I notice that most roleplaying games excel at the former, and suck at the latter. So I set out to make a proper GAME that is also a ROLEPLAY. So it's cool - I've got a map with hexes you move about it, laminated character sheets you can cross stuff off on - it's really all clicking together and should be loads of fun. *crosses fingers*

We need a marvel RP thread on here if you set rules ect.... Each person picks someone I CALL 616 EDDIE VENOM and the person in charge like say you Bass. Acts like a dungeon master (d&d type not s&m) and gives us a story to play through.

Could be fun.

We need a marvel RP thread on here if you set rules ect.... Each person picks someone I CALL 616 EDDIE VENOM and the person in charge like say you Bass. Acts like a dungeon master (d&d type not s&m) and gives us a story to play through.

Could be fun.

I was never much for taking control of established characters. I'd suggest a WoD or D&D game, but I don't think it'd be terribly appropriate for this board.

You know. . .Mutants and Masterminds might be, though.

Could be fun.

How many times has that been tried here? So many times, that it'll end within a month, rules or not. Either people can't get along or people just forget about it.

How many times has that been tried here? So many times, that it'll end within a month, rules or not. Either people can't get along or people just forget about it.

I dunno. . .I think a set RPG would work.

I dunno. . .I think a set RPG would work.
It's all been tried before and it never went on very long. And all those people thought the same as that. "It could work". And it did. For like a month or so. And then poof...no more.

Eventually they always end here.

Last edited:
It's all been tried before and it never went on very long. And all those people thought the same as that. "It could work". And it did. For like a month or so. And then poof...no more.

Eventually they always end here.

Well, now I am a sad panda.

Thanks, Ice. You've ruined my night. . .

Not really.

I'd be happy to run a game, but not like this. I'm one of those guys who agrees with the D&D advertising campaign they brought out when WoW got popular:

wowdanddad.jpg

To me, without people in the same room, roleplaying is rather dull. :|

IT is.

It's the reactions to what is going on that makes the game I feel.

Plus, friends make everything better

I'm part of a RP board, and it's rather dull compared to real life

I played D&D and Storytellers. I was playing some D&D this year, but the GM broke up with his girlfriend and we couldn't use the characters anymore (he wouldn't let us kill her character for nothing). So we started to prepare ourselves to play Mage The Ascension (or something like that) but the GM reconciliated with his girlfriend so we basically don't know what the hell we are going to do.

That is true.

I guess the best chance for something like this will be when Marvel Universe comes out.

I'd be happy to run a game, but not like this. I'm one of those guys who agrees with the D&D advertising campaign they brought out when WoW got popular:

To me, without people in the same room, roleplaying is rather dull. :|

That ad campaign is hilarious to me now that we know about the online features of D&D 4th Edition. :lol:

You know. . .doing a game in a chat program might work better than on the forums.

Last edited:
I think the best game I ever played in was a round of Fratboys Vs Zombies. Good god was that fun. I played a chemistry major who'd seen Dawn of the Dead 127 times and promptly lost his **** when the actual zombies attacked.

By the end we had a tank.

I think the best game I ever played in was a round of Fratboys Vs Zombies. Good god was that fun. I played a chemistry major who'd seen Dawn of the Dead 127 times and promptly lost his **** when the actual zombies attacked.

By the end we had a tank.

I love those weird games, one of my old group's favorite goofy games was Macho Women with Guns, some of the most out there **** ever written.

We're currently playing in this awesome Cthutlhu game and we're playing NYPD cops.

Being a fan of LAW & ORDER, I've been going "DUN DUN" a lot.

But what I've been really doing, is Caruso-ing it up. A lot. *snicker*

For example, we go to the scene of a crime and as the GM explains the crime scene I take off and clean my glasses (my glasses, not my character's) and he's explaining how this person has been cut up into several messy bits. I then go;

"Looks like all we've got... *puts on glasses* Is pieces of the puzzle. YEAH!"

The game takes us to Congo and Rwanda and as we buy our airplane tickets I say,

"Let's be careful... *puts on glasses* It's a jungle out there. YEAH!"

And just last night, we realise we may have opened a door (the GM's word) into another dream realm of horror.

"Sometimes the door swings... *puts on glasses* Both ways. YEAH!"

I'm having such a great time. :D

Well, my super-hero Mutants and Masterminds finale happened last nights. My PCs (6 of my friends) have been playing themselves for about 9 months now, but they have super-powers. They made themselves in our first session, and then I came up with super-powers suites to overlay on them. They found out what they were capable of when their "characters found it." After many adventures fighting anti-super government agencies, girls with plague-causing abilities (long before Heroes), and crazed mutant cults, they just found the fabled Well of Souls from which all power flows and finally made their way through all 24 rooms, defeating the guardians of the 24 Spirit Lines, unifying the source of spirit, and releasing it into the general population.

The end result: All human beings now have the potential to manifest powers when under extremely trying conditions.

My PCs:
1: The Nexus of Souls: Able to analyze and copy the powers of any "enlightened" huamns he meets. Also, has the power of DESTINY
2: The Taint: Has defeated death. When he dies, his body rises as a zombie and his spirit free roams as a ghost. When alive, he can control life and death.
3: The Crucible: Has an Elemental Paragon form; hard as stone, flies on the air, burns like fire, controls the water.
4: Mindwipe: Has a crystal rod of mental energy that can borrow other's memories, cause intense mental anguish, or shut down other's powers.
5: Rebound: Absorbs kinetic energy that he can channel into blasts, muscle tissue, speed, or other unusual effects.
6: The Huntsman: Can summon two giant soul-hounds. Also, can go into a huntsman's super-sensory trance. Also, can summon snares.

I am thinking of writing up this campaign in the Fic forum...

We are stopping because, while our love for the story was super-high, our hate for Mutants and Masterminds knows no end.

Last edited:
They were very powerful, which was fun. Also, they went through various incarnations and limitations before being completely unleashed.

M&M problems: When there are no HP, you can never very accurately judge WHEN you are going down. You can be winning a fight and BOOM, they roll well on damage and you are out of the fight. When all rolls are d20, even "damage", then the amount of variance in rolling, aka "getting lucky" becomes everything in the fight.

To play this game, you have to have a degree in game theory and mathematics. The good news is that you can fairly easily replicate any power you can think of. The bad news is that once you do, there is no telling how it will interact with other powers, if your specific add-ons and modifications to the powers are accurately priced based on other applications of add-ons and modifications, and how balanced they REALLY are for the power level.

Making a well fleshed out NPC with powers takes FOREVER. The good news is, making a mook NPC with no interesting powers to speak of (maybe a basic blast or something) takes literally no time.

A good game for some styles of play, but not enough consistency for me, too many balance issues to consider, and too much prep work (on villains that might be 1-shotted on a lucky roll by the PCs).

There are other issues. The system has ups: the complete freedom to build what you want, how you want, and have it (maybe) approach a similar power level to other heroes. But once you get too creative, some of that can break down.

Latest posts

Back