The Pixar Thread

E.Vi.L. said:
Oh no, I watch Toy Story for the intense suspense, the heartbreaking human drama and the awesome stunts.

:roll:

Of course it's primarily a comedy! One of the secondary character is Mr. Potato Head, for crying out loud!

Both movies(particularly TS2) actually DO have some focus on heartbreaking drama and morals.

But I wasn't even talking about that. I said all the Dis/Pix films are primarily adventures, not comedies. Yeah, they have a lot of humour in them, but so did Pirates of the Carribean, and it's labeled an adventure flick through-and-through(and it should be). Honestly I think the only reason the Pixar films are so quickly thought of as all-out comedies is because they're animated.

I admit Toy Story isn't the best example, though. So how about The Incredibles? You think that's an all-out comedy and should be judged only on how funny it is?

Last edited:
Planet-man said:
I admit Toy Story isn't the best example, though. So how about The Incredibles? You think that's an all-out comedy and should be judged only on how funny it is?

First of all, I said that how funny these movie are is more relevant than the rest but that the rest isn't irrelevant. I said that a mere two post ago.

Secondly, of course The Incredibles is a comedy first and an adventure movie second. At its heart it is a spoof on the superhero genre. We've seen this story hundreds of time. The smart comedy is what makes this movie worthwhile and stand out. Without it we have nothing. Only an 8 year old would have watched this movie on the strenght of the adventure elements alone.

You seem to think comedy is dirty word. It's not. For example, Modern Times by Charlie Chaplin is one of the greatest movie ever made and it's undisputably a comedy despite its very serious theme.

Both movies(particularly TS2) actually DO have some focus on heartbreaking drama and morals.

Heartbreaking drama?! Morals yeah, and sometime none too subtle. But Heartbreaking drama? For kids, I guess. Don't lay it on too thick just to make your point. Of course these movies thread the themes of loyalty, friendship, tolerance etc. So did the sitcom Friends. Doesn't make it a drama. Comedy is allowed to thread mature theme, you know.

Last edited:
I agree with E.Vi.L. They are all extremely well-rounded but they are definitely comedies. Few movies don't have elements from different types of movies (comedy, drama, action, etc.).

Woah. I just watched the Toy Story 2 DVD with English subtitles, and pretty much every number from Hurley's lottery ticket was there. (Most memorable: Al stays at Floor 23 of the building across from the toy store.)

These days, I can never go about looking at numbers without trying to make some LOST connection. It's really sad. Like once in math, we were doing a problem on the board, and it came out to be 108, and I got all excited, and then everyone looked at me.

Did you know that Toy Story 2 is the best reviewed movie ever?

Seriously.

Maybe I should watch it.

moonmaster said:
Did you know that Toy Story 2 is the best reviewed movie ever?

Seriously.

Maybe I should watch it.

I saw that a few months ago. It certainly deserves acclaim.

My favourite stat is that The Incredibles has a higher percentage(97%) than all five Best Picture nominees the year it came out(the only one that came close was Sideways with 96%).

ultimatedjf said:
Woah. I just watched the Toy Story 2 DVD with English subtitles, and pretty much every number from Hurley's lottery ticket was there. (Most memorable: Al stays at Floor 23 of the building across from the toy store.)

These days, I can never go about looking at numbers without trying to make some LOST connection. It's really sad. Like once in math, we were doing a problem on the board, and it came out to be 108, and I got all excited, and then everyone looked at me.

I spent many a math class this year trying different things with the Numbers on my calcultor. The main thing I noticed was that 23 comes up in a lot of the answers. For example:

4815162342 x 4815162342 = 2318578837

4 x 8 x 15 x 16 x 23 x 42 = 7418880........
The square root of 7418880 is 2723.76

The square root of 108 is 10.39230484

:scared:

Also, Paul Dini's(the show's story editor, writer of the episode Numbers, and my favourite Batman writer of all time) birth day is August 16th....8/16.

The Dini thing is the only one I think might actually be something and not just a coincedence.

Upcoming Pixar release schedule :

Ratatouille -- Opens Friday

WALL-E -- 2008 (Look for the thread right here on UC)

Up -- 2009 (Wiki entry)

Toy Story 3 -- 2010 (Wiki entry)

I'm psyched for all three. I still only need the Bugs Life DVD for my Pixar collection to be complete.

I love all of Pixar's films. Obviously some more than others. But then again I also don't like several of their films that other people enjoy...but I think it's due to my age at the time of their release.

Case in point---I don't really like either of the Toy Story films. But both were released when I was in like a junior or senior in high school and at that time in my life I was really into grittier films like Dog Day Afternoon, Apocalypse Now, Dirty Harry, etc.

But since I've seen other Pixar films, I went back and watched Toy Story 1&2. They were more enjoyable than when I first saw them.....but still not even in my top 5 Pixar films.

1. The Incredibles
  2. Monster's Inc.
  3. Finding Nemo
  4. Cars
  5. Bugs Life
  6. Toy Story 2
  7. Toy Story

In fact...the 3 short films before their last 3 films rank higher than either Toy Story. But that's just me.

Last edited:
I've never seen what all the fuss over Monster's Inc was about. The one thing the others have in common is that, somehow, they all manage to be moving without being corny or pretentious, which is why they're all so great.

This wasn't the case with Monster's Inc.

I've never seen what all the fuss over Monster's Inc was about. The one thing the others have in common is that, somehow, they all manage to be moving without being corny or pretentious, which is why they're all so great.

This wasn't the case with Monster's Inc.

Agreed

I said in another thread how I rate the films but here it goes again but my order may have changed a little resonatly but still

and how I rate them

1st Toy story - A+
2nd Toy Story 2 - A
3rd cars - B+
4th Finding Nemo - B-
5th The Incredibles - D-
6th A Bugs life - E
7th Monsters, Inc - E

just noticed my list is pretty much the opposite of dooms :lol: but still thats cool different people like different things

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back