The Pixar Thread

ultimatedjf

I figured I'd start off an official thread for that magical movie factory that makes you feel all good inside after you see one of their films for the first time. Cars may have been formulaic, but then again, I think it's the greatest "formulaic" film ever. Here are my Pixar rankings from Best to "Worst":

1. The Incredibles (2004) A
2. Finding Nemo (2003) A
3. Toy Story (1995) A
4. Monsters, Inc. (2001) A
5. Cars (2006) A-
6. Toy Story 2 (1999) A-
7. A Bug's Life (1998 ) B+

As for "One Man Band", the short that ran before "Cars" started, A. Michael Giacchino of LOST fame scores the music (he also scored "The Incredibles", which should have been nominated in the score category at the Oscars), and what music there is!!

Pixar: Truly the gold standard of animation, if not filmdom as a whole.

:D

ultimatedjf said:
As for "One Man Band", the short that ran before "Cars" started, A. Michael Giacchino of LOST fame scores the music (he also scored "The Incredibles", which should have been nominated in the score category at the Oscars), and what music there is!!

That really was great. Besides being funny, the music was brilliant.

Maturing is a b****. I haven't seen a animated move since shortly before the first Toy Story came out (with an exception of Shrek that I saw when I babysat my cousin) so I haven't seen any of those movies. :(

Planet-man said:
Bah. You lose all credibility by ranking Monsters Inc. higher than Toy Story 2 and A Bug's Life. It's quite honestly one of my least favourite movies of all time.

I've realized over the months, that you and I have many many things in entertainment that we both love, many things that I love and you hate, and many things that I hate that you love. Anyone could probably make this argument about anyone else, but whenever I think of the argument, I always think "Planet-man." :D But hey, at least I love Arrested Development. Not too many people can say the same for that. (Well, actually, a lot of people can say that online, but that's a given. :D )

Ultimate Warrior said:
Maturing is a b****. I haven't seen a animated move since shortly before the first Toy Story came out (with an exception of Shrek that I saw when I babysat my cousin) so I haven't seen any of those movies. :(

I disagree about that. No matter how much you mature or age, if you take the time to view a Pixar film, it will bring out the kid in you. Plus, watch it at different stages of your life, and you get multiple meanings out of it.

ultimatedjf said:
I disagree about that. No matter how much you mature or age, if you take the time to view a Pixar film, it will bring out the kid in you. Plus, watch it at different stages of your life, and you get multiple meanings out of it.
Yeah, the movie itself can be fun at all ages it's just that the buzz and pr around it/them and the way the way the movie/s is presented in media makes me on an subconscious level believing that I'm not the kind of person that's suppose to see it/them so I don't.

ultimatedjf said:
I've realized over the months, that you and I have many many things in entertainment that we both love, many things that I love and you hate, and many things that I hate that you love. Anyone could probably make this argument about anyone else, but whenever I think of the argument, I always think "Planet-man." :D But hey, at least I love Arrested Development. Not too many people can say the same for that. (Well, actually, a lot of people can say that online, but that's a given. :D )

Amen. I've actually been thinking of borrowing your movie-ranking thing in my own sig.

I'll pay you in LOST avatars.:heybaby:

Ultimate Warrior said:
Yeah, the movie itself can be fun at all ages it's just that the buzz and pr around it/them and the way the way the movie/s is presented in media makes me on an subconscious level believing that I'm not the kind of person that's suppose to see it/them so I don't.

Yeah, and it's especially bad with Cars, because, now that Pixar is a definite part of Disney instead of becoming their own company, Disney is in charge of all the media for Cars, so, even if Pixar made a perfect film like The Incredibles, Disney would do what they do with all their other movies, and milk the crap out of it with Toys for 4 year olds and unappealing commercials that highlight some of the least entertaining parts of the movie, which, while usually good because most times the trailer and ads show you the best parts, it will make you think that Pixar has a clunker on their hands.

And, in my opinion, the teaser trailer for their next pic, Ratatouille, is way better than the Cars teaser was.

Planet-man said:
Amen. I've actually been thinking of borrowing your movie-ranking thing in my own sig.

I'll pay you in LOST avatars.:heybaby:

You can use it in your sig if you want to, I won't mind/think that you're copying me.

Oh wait.

1. The Incredibles
2. Toy Story 2
3. Finding Nemo
4. Monsters, Inc.
5. Cars
6. Toy Story
7. A Bugs Life

Its hard to rate them, because they're all so good.

This is the order of movies from one i would see again the most easily...

I'm sure Bugs life and Toy Story 1 would rank higher if I saw them more recently.

Last edited:
Sad to see Pixar go over to Disney, hoping for the best…

But with John Lasseter now the de facto Supreme Overlord of Disney Animation, and Steve Jobs warming a seat on the Disney board of Directors (as he moves towards the head seat, no doubt…), things should run pretty smooth…

My query is what can Steve do to leverage his Disney/Pixar connection towards pimping the Mac to the rest of the world…?!?

Hmm. A Bug's life is much funnier than Cars. And Toy Story 2 is more memorable than 1. I remember it more vividly, anyway (''I don't want to use my head!'' :lol: ). And Finding Nemo is just not that funny. Here is my (and therefore the only true) ranking of Pixar's movies :

1. The Incredibles (2004)
2. Toy Story 2 (1999)
3. Monsters, Inc. (2001)
4. Toy Story (1995)
5. A Bug's Life (1998 )
6. Cars (2006)
7. Finding Nemo (2003)

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Hmm. A Bug's life is much funnier than Cars. And Toy Story 2 is more memorable than 1. I remember it more vividly, anyway (''I don't want to use my head!'' :lol: ). And Finding Nemo is just not that funny. Here is my (and therefore the only true) ranking of Pixar's movies :

1. The Incredibles (2004)
2. Toy Story 2 (1999)
3. Monsters, Inc. (2001)
4. Toy Story (1995)
5. A Bug's Life (1998 )
6. Cars (2006)
7. Finding Nemo (2003)

So you grade films on how funny they are?

1. The Incredibles
2. Monsters Inc.
3. Toy Story
4. Finding Nemo
5. A Bug's Life

I have yet to see Toy Story 2 or Cars.

ultimatedjf said:
So you grade films on how funny they are?

I grade comedies on how funny they are, yes.

The Pixar animated movie are primarily comedies. Therefore how funny they are is more relevant to rating them than the script or voice-acting. I said "more relevant", not that that the rest is irrelevant. Remember that before replying. Indeed, a tight narrative and great voice acting will greatly enhance the gags. Still, the point here is to be funny. With all the Pixar movies. And therefore, yes, I rate them by how funny they are.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
I grade comedies on how funny they are, yes.

The Pixar animated movie are primarily comedies. Therefore how funny they are is more relevant to rating them than the script or voice-acting. I said "more relevant", not that that the rest is irrelevant. Remember that before replying. Indeed, a tight narrative and great voice acting will greatly enhance the gags. Still, the point here is to be funny. With all the Pixar movies. And therefore, yes, I rate them by how funny they are.

The Pixar movies aren't comedies. They're adventure movies with humour mixed in. You can't honestly tell me that you think Toy Story is primarily a comedy.

Planet-man said:
You can't honestly tell me that you think Toy Story is primarily a comedy.

Oh no, I watch Toy Story for the intense suspense, the heartbreaking human drama and the awesome stunts.

:roll:

Of course it's primarily a comedy! One of the secondary character is Mr. Potato Head, for crying out loud!

Ultimate Houde said:
SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME!

Have my baby!

I'd... rather not. Just agree with me next time and we'll be even, okay?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back