The Prestige Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I never want to see another film again.

That is all....

....I think I'll give up comic books too.

Ok, I'm done.

The reason I'm holding the film in such high regard...

Some of you might remember my *****ing about The Departed. About lame shock value twists. Well the Prestige has one. And it's totally obvious. But it had something else to it. You know who Borden's double is. Then when you see Tesla's machine you understand more and then you think, "Man, this is kind of goofy." Then you think about The clone saga... but you sit through it...

What impressed me was the character development. You see Angier as the good guy because he's tragic and he's likeable. And Bale plays this wonderful Jackass who isn't likeable. And it's apparent whose likeable and not through their stage presence too. Anyway let's just cut to the chase. When you figure it all out you're still left thinking what does Angier do with the doubles? Then when all the revealations are made you realize he doesn't do jack **** with them he just continuously sacrifices a life everytime he does the trick. And the twist suddenly isn't goofy, OMFY#&*(&GOD!!!, what a twist. It's scary. It's like Man, that cat is ****ed up! And not in the good way.

Anyway props to the actors and actresses (I don't think Scarlett's that hott) but especially Christian Bale. He's the ****.

5/5

Definitely a great movie, but I could have done without the bull**** science. I saw Jackman's twist coming, but Bale's twist got me.

Yeah, it's very, very good. The only problem I had with it is that some of the dialogue sounded a bit... clunky at the start and that the plot twist was a bit confusing. Maybe this will change on repeated viewings.

David Bowie as Nikola Tesla is awesome though.

David Bowie is just about my favorite thing ever..

For serious, this is a ****ing fantastic movie, one of my favorites of last year.

I rented this a week ago and absolutely loved everything about it.

I was underwhelmed by it. I thought the identical twin twist was a total cop-out(and yes, I noticed Bale in makeup next to him the whole movie, but a) we're meant to believe it's a clone, and b) HOW THE **** DID NONE OF THE CHARACTERS NOTICE HIM?). Why didn't any of the other characters suspect an identical twin either? That was the first thing I thought of, until they brought in the whole cloning business.

And the thing that got to me the entire movie, why wouldn't Angier be the one entrusted with tying his wife's hands in the first place, since they're the matter of life or death part of the act? The feet don't matter.

Still, it was a good movie, and I'd give it an 8/10, but it really bugged me how much the plot fell apart in places.

I was underwhelmed by it. I thought the identical twin twist was a total cop-out(and yes, I noticed Bale in makeup next to him the whole movie, but a) we're meant to believe it's a clone, and b) HOW THE **** DID NONE OF THE CHARACTERS NOTICE HIM?). Why didn't any of the other characters suspect an identical twin either? That was the first thing I thought of, until they brought in the whole cloning business.

And the thing that got to me the entire movie, why wouldn't Angier be the one entrusted with tying his wife's hands in the first place, since they're the matter of life or death part of the act? The feet don't matter.

Still, it was a good movie, and I'd give it an 8/10, but it really bugged me how much the plot fell apart in places.

I think that Fallon was kept mostly in the shadows with his head down and they provided enough makeup to ensure no one else knew it was him. Those closest to him obviously knew.

I loved this movie, and Houde hardly loves movies.

I figured out the ending before it happened, the whole double gave it away, but I liked it none the less.

I think that Fallon was kept mostly in the shadows with his head down and they provided enough makeup to ensure no one else knew it was him. Those closest to him obviously knew.

But they were deliberately looking for a double. I refuse to accept that they'd miss that, especially since they cook up an elaborate plan to kidnap him at one point(I know they don't see him after they catch him, but there's no way they would have been able to set that all up without at least briefly observing him).

Definitely the biggest hole in the entire film, and in a film with a plot like this, a hole of any size can unravel the whole thing.

Planet-Man, while Micheal Caine was looking for a double, Hugh Jackman wasn't, and refused to believe there was. I'm sure Micheal Caine knew there was a double, but since Jackman wasn't buying that mention of the trick, the double wasn't put there.

That, and it wasn't really a double was it? The person was more of twin than a double, and they constantly switched positions, so it would be harder to find out.

In my opinion anyways

Just got this on Blue-Ray and watched it last night. Really really good imo. I knew something was up with Fallen the whole time I just couldn't figure it out.

I was underwhelmed by it. I thought the identical twin twist was a total cop-out(and yes, I noticed Bale in makeup next to him the whole movie, but a) we're meant to believe it's a clone, and

Dude, Fallon was NOT a clone. I don't know why so many people insist he was one. He was a twin brother that Bale managed to keep secret the whole time. I think Michael Caine knew but only tried to convince Jackman there was a double out of respect for Bale's trick.

Also, I definitely would not have noticed that was Bale at any point if it were not for that closeup at the jail. I mean, as the tagline says, you have to be watching closely to catch that. And I'm sure when they captured Fallon, they weren't like "Hmmm let's see who's behind the mask" or even "Let's take a close look at your face and pores" because they "knew" who he was- he "wasn't Bale" so there was no suspicion. It's entirely logical.

Also, Jackman's machine served an entirely different function than Bale's. Bale wanted a machine to improve his showmanship, whereas Jackman wanted his teleportation device.

But again, I reiterate, Fallon is NOT a clone, he is a twin brother.

Dude, Fallon was NOT a clone. I don't know why so many people insist he was one. He was a twin brother that Bale managed to keep secret the whole time.

But again, I reiterate, Fallon is NOT a clone, he is a twin brother.

Yes, I know. That was my whole point.

Also, I definitely would not have noticed that was Bale at any point if it were not for that closeup at the jail. I mean, as the tagline says, you have to be watching closely to catch that.

So it's my fault for seeing that it was Bale because I watch movies too closely?
:?

And I'm sure when they captured Fallon, they weren't like "Hmmm let's see who's behind the mask" or even "Let's take a close look at your face and pores" because they "knew" who he was- he "wasn't Bale" so there was no suspicion. It's entirely logical.

It's entirely ILLOGICAL to me because I could plainly see it was Christian Bale. In fact, it wasn't until after the film was over and I talked to others about it that I realized you weren't supposed to know it. And I still don't get it. It's Christian ****ing Bale! He's right there on the screen, just with a moustache! I feel like the only sane person at the Daily Planet here!

The prestige stands head and shoulders above every other movie to come out last year except V for Vendetta in my opinion. I loved it, and I hadnt even heard of it when I went to see it in fall.

Yes, I know. That was my whole point.

ah. the way you stated it it seemed like you meant the opposite... sorry, i wasn't clear.
So it's my fault for seeing that it was Bale because I watch movies too closely?
:?
there's no fault involved- at least i never said there was...

It's entirely ILLOGICAL to me because I could plainly see it was Christian Bale. In fact, it wasn't until after the film was over and I talked to others about it that I realized you weren't supposed to know it. And I still don't get it. It's Christian ****ing Bale! He's right there on the screen, just with a moustache! I feel like the only sane person at the Daily Planet here!

see, though, this guy fallon was with them the entire time; they had no reason to suspect that it was a twin. and i seriously couldn't tell that it was bale until that close up... the point was to keep the makeup realistic for them to copy repeatedly, and after thinking about it, they did a good job of disguising him... they added extra weight with the makeup- fallon definitely has more cheek to him. maybe you just can pick out bale really easily, but it worked for me and was completely logical to me.

I thought Bale was Fallon as well. It didn't ruin the movie for me though.

see, though, this guy fallon was with them the entire time; they had no reason to suspect that it was a twin.

The reason they had was that they suspected he had a double.

And the fact that's it obviously him.
;)

and i seriously couldn't tell that it was bale until that close up... the point was to keep the makeup realistic for them to copy repeatedly, and after thinking about it, they did a good job of disguising him... they added extra weight with the makeup- fallon definitely has more cheek to him. maybe you just can pick out bale really easily, but it worked for me and was completely logical to me.

I can pick out most people pretty easily. But even if I couldn't, and appearently the majority of audiences couldn't, it doesn't matter because the characters in the movie should be able to.

They're professional magicians. All they do is observe, and figure out how tricks are done. How is it that Langier could figure out the fishbowl trick and not see that his partner of years is standing there wearing a fake moustache and cheek pads?

I thought Bale was Fallon as well. It didn't ruin the movie for me though.

Oh, by no means did it ruin the movie for me. Like I said the films is still an 8/10. But that was probably my biggest complaint with it(second biggest being "Hey! I need to find a guy who looks exactly like me!"..."Okay, I'll check a few bars....found one!". Yeesh).

Latest posts

Back