The Scary movies that are actually scary thread

Planet-man said:
The whole concept of Dawn of the Dead still scares me late at night sometimes. Just the idea that I'll wake up the next morning and the world will be overrun with zombies.
:panic:
I can totally sympathize.

What could be scarier than waking to a nightmare? Finding that the Apocalypse is here and it's smashing through your front door to tear your throat out. How would you survive in pure chaos? What do you do when there are no police to protect you, no soldiers to fight for you, no leaders to provide you with an ultimately false promise of safety and eventual peace. You survive the best you can, but in the end does it really matter? Will you still become one of the inumerable dead, another burning body on the heap or even worse, a shambling animal committing unspeakable atrocities and tearing the world to peices? To think that all of civilization, all our accomplishments and all our wonders, could be brought to it's knees so quickly.

Yes, zombie movies terrify me.

Speaking of "Dawn of the Dead", I saw it a few days ago and forgot to say what I thought.

It was great. :D

Everything about it was even better than I expected: Great dialog and characterization, awesome use of practical effects, and incredible social symbolisms. I was surprised by the ending and unsurprised to read that the original ending was much, much darker...

I haven't read this anywhere, but did anyone else think Roger riding around in his bathrobe in the wheelbarrow seemed oddly similar to a war veteran (Vietnam...) in a wheelchair?

Last edited:
Bumping this because I've been in a horror mood for the past few days(since 1408 reminded me how wonderful a truly great horror movie can be), and I just discovered this awesome list:

Box Office Prophet's 50 Favourite Horror Films

The list is one of the rare ones that doesn't have me shouting "screw that!" every few rankings, ends in the right choice for #1, and gives terrific-yet-spoiler-free paragraphs about each film.

The only problem with the list is that it gives the Evil Dead films WAY too much credit(I like them a lot too, but, well... you'll see the rankings).

Anyway, enjoy the list. It's made me want to see a lot of them.

Bumping this because I've been in a horror mood for the past few days(since 1408 reminded me how wonderful a truly great horror movie can be), and I just discovered this awesome list:

Box Office Prophet's 50 Favourite Horror Films

The list is one of the rare ones that doesn't have me shouting "screw that!" every few rankings, ends in the right choice for #1, and gives terrific-yet-spoiler-free paragraphs about each film.

The only problem with the list is that it gives the Evil Dead films WAY too much credit(I like them a lot too, but, well... you'll see the rankings).

Anyway, enjoy the list. It's made me want to see a lot of them.

A lot of those simply don't belong on that list. And others belong a lot closer to 1.

Agreed.

Blade? Ick.

Mmhmm. The Evil Dead movies, sans the original, shouldn't have made it on at all. They're more comedy than horror. And the original should have been a tad higher than it's very dubious numer 2 position.

Hmmmm. . .Poltergeist should have been further down the list, same with Event Horizon and Jacob's Ladder. I'd probably would have put The Thing in the top 10 and, I'm sorry. . .but as unique as the Blair Witch Project was, it was not scary. Given time, I'd say to add 1408 as well.

I haven't been SERIOUSLY scared by a movie in a LONG time. I used to refuse to watch scary movies in fear of getting scared. Now I'll give them a chance, and while I may jump at parts, none have TRULY scared me.

What do I mean by this? The movie has to have a serious effect on my thoughts and psyche so that I am terrified for days, weeks, months, or YEARS to come.

Examples of this:

my FIRST really scary movie:

The Blob. The original. When the blob comes out of the shower head, I couldn't go take a shower and be standing under the shower head when I turned it on for YEARS.

Signs. The alien in the amateur video, and when they are in the basement especially.

The Sixth Sense. Those ghosts, and the build-up, were terrifying. That's usually the scariest things for me- build-up.

The Haunting (1999)- I was pretty young when I saw this, and it REALLY scared me. I'm still afraid when I tune my string instruments.

Ones that didn't do it for me:

The Shining- I wasn't really that scared by this one oddly enough.
Halloween- not scary AT ALL. Just dumb. At least I think so. The origin of the phrase "DONT GO IN THERE" i bet

30 Days of Night- did a pretty good job, but I wasn't REALLY shaken when I left the theater, esp. because of the "super-hero" type ending.

28 Days/Weeks Later- just didn't really scare me.

Saw/Saw II- just gross, not really scary.

Ones I really want to see:

The Thing.
Alien.
It. (I've seen bits and pieces- doesn't really seem that scary)

thats about all I have on the subject.

Last movie to scare me was 1408.

Before that, Signs.

Aliens and ghosts scare the piss out of me. Monsters and slashers don't. Neither do zombies, but I love zombie movies regardless because of the survival scenario.

The Grudge was terrible and predictable. The only thing that was scary about it was that noise the woman ghost makes. I hate freakish breathing noises--the Regenerators in RE4 also drive me crazy.

I wasn't scared by Signs at all. I'm not afraid of aliens.

I think noises are what creep me out the most, actually. I mentioned breathing noises, and I also hate the noises in The Ring when the video is playing.

Takashi Miike's Audition.

Dog vomit, paralysis torture and dismemeberment.

With scary noises coming from a mysterious burlap sack.

Takashi Miike's Audition.

Dog vomit, paralysis torture and dismemeberment.

With scary noises coming from a mysterious burlap sack.

Takashi Miike is awesome. I have a friend who is something of a horror film guru and he swears by his films.

just saw The Thing.

Not necessarily scary, but freaking AMAZING. what a great, atmospheric movie.

also- blair witch project- didn't scare me.

BUT- Silence of the Lambs frightened the crap out of me- when Buffalo Bill is stalking Clarice toward the end... tensest moment I've ever experienced in film

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back