"The Shadow" to return with Raimi.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
As CBR reports:

The Hollywood Reporter broke today news of a new feature film based on The Shadow, the legendary pulp fiction, comics and radio character created by Walter B. Gibson. As the Reporter reports, Columbia Pictures acquired the film rights to the character after lengthy negotiations, and the film will be produced by the man behind the studio's latest, greatest genre franchise: Sam Raimi, director of Columbia's massive "Spider-Man" series of films. Raimi and Josh Donen will produce the film through their Buckaroo Entertainment company.

"I've been a passionate Shadow fan ever since I was a kid and have long dreamed of bringing this character to the screen," Raimi told the Hollywood Reporter. Many fans are able to see the influence of The Shadow in much of Raimi's work, most especially in his 1990 cult hit "Darkman."

Read the rest at the link above.

Last edited:
I was hoping that this was a thread dedicated to me....:wink:

Hmm so I guess its a remake, what were The Shadow's powers again?

Heck, I liked the old Shadow movie. I saw it when I was pretty young and it really stood out to me.

But then, I liked The Phantom too.

I remember seeing the Shadow when it came out, though I completely forgot almost everything about the actual movie until I saw it again on tv about a year ago. It was okay I don't see the need to do another one, a semi sequel okay but not a remake.

I also I enjoyed The Phantom

Last edited:
I haven't seen The Shadow in probably close to a decade and I haven't seen The Phantom more than once, at the show. I'm almost afraid to go back and watch them (Phantom especially). I think I'd rather keep my warm, fuzzy memories of them.

Now, Dick Tracy I have seen lately. It's lost a little luster in my mind, but not too much. That's a movie I watched twice a day when I was a kid.

The Shadow was one of my favourite movies as a kid and I still love it now. Baldwin was perfect in that.
Yeah, Baldwin was great. I remember I got a Shadow toy for christmas once. Wouldn't stop playing with that.

The one I had was the one where he would come in a tuxedo and you could then push his head down and put the head with the Shadow mask.

Not to get off topic, but my favorite action figures were always the Secret ID ones like that where you could put their costume on or whatever. I think Batman Returns Bruce Wayne might be my favorite toy of all time.

The Shadow--was kinda awesome for it's time. With today's technology and more serious approach to comic films (at leats by DC/Vertigo anyways). The Shadow could be incredibly awesome. Too bad Baldwin is too old and fat to play him.

Now I have to think who'd be a good choice to play him. :?

The Shadow--was kinda awesome for it's time. With today's technology and more serious approach to comic films (at leats by DC/Vertigo anyways). The Shadow could be incredibly awesome. Too bad Baldwin is too old and fat to play him.

Now I have to think who'd be a good choice to play him. :?

Adrian Brody.

Interesting turn of events, as compound and I have been talking about The Shadow over the past week and how he could be incorporated into modern storytelling.

The 1990s movie was weird. I had a chance to catch it on cable a week ago (hence my conversation with compound) and its interesting how it was panned for its time because while it wasn't a very good movie it does seem to feel 'modern' in the sense that it resembles the 'badness' of films like LXG: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Around the World in 80 Days. I mean "Chinese warlord uses mind control to seize Ian McKellen's atom bomb (30 yrs before the Manhattan Project) and threaten to blow up the city in his quest to become Emperor of Mankind." OMGWTF.

In any case, I think Baldwin was pretty okay in the role. I mean, unlike actors like Tom Cruise, he was willing to wear the prosthetic nose and makeup to 'uglify' himself as The Shadow as a contrast to his pretty boy looks as Lamont Cranston and in terms of performance was pretty competent, if a bit unremarkable.

But yes, The Shadow is too cool. I always liked the idea of a secret network of agents bound to him, it has a sort of Global Frequency vibe to it. I hope Raimi isn't DIRECTING though. He's got too much of a wacky sensibility when he does superhero pieces like in Darkman.

But yes, The Shadow is too cool. I always liked the idea of a secret network of agents bound to him, it has a sort of Global Frequency vibe to it.

I think that idea was used best recently in Matt Wagners Dr. Mid-Nite mini he did. It was friggin awesome.

On that note does anyone else was a cameo from The Knife?

Yeah, Baldwin was great. I remember I got a Shadow toy for christmas once. Wouldn't stop playing with that.

The one I had was the one where he would come in a tuxedo and you could then push his head down and put the head with the Shadow mask.

Not to get off topic, but my favorite action figures were always the Secret ID ones like that where you could put their costume on or whatever. I think Batman Returns Bruce Wayne might be my favorite toy of all time.

DUDE!!! I had the same toys, though I had a tendency to loose the costume parts

So I guess with Raimi dealing with this, if there will be a Spider-Man 4, it'll be way down the road.

Yeah, I sometimes lost it, too.

Well, he's only producing it so I doubt he'd be doing the day to day work on it.

Latest posts

Back