Spider-Man The treament of Spider-man

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
I realised in the MCU thread this might go off-topic if I continued so I thought I'd make a thread :

Spider-Man did not get his continuity erased in One More Day, which I believe is what you mean. Everything that happened with Spider-Man after he was initially married to Mary Jane still happened, just with him and MJ as a couple or whatever, to a point where they eventually broke up.

One more may not have flat out erased but look at him now.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2014/01/Amazing-Spider-Man-1.jpg

He seems younger more immature (he even moved back with Aunt may) and characters like harry osborn just returned from the dead. It's as if all the character development and the heart was removed. I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion here or not but one more day / brand new day was the start of the decline of how spider-man was treated. It was as if instead of devoice they removed or at least messed up the continuity in a really bad way. Bad as a) it was not needed b) was confusing and c) making a deal with the devil is not great responsibility IMO

they didn't make anything with Superior so people wouldn't like it. No one does anything like that on purpose. And in fact, Superior Spider-Man was a big success for Marvel and made that 'version' of Spider-Man quite popular. Some things that were done with him were really quite smart and ingenious.

That's not true companies do try to push one character down (in this case Spider-man) in order to make another look better (iron man in this case) and some stuff with it was good but

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/01/sup6.jpg

Come on! Tease MJ (WHICH THEY ANNOYED PEOPLE BY REMOVING) and show Pet's ghost suffering as we keep getting told the new one is Superior, ironically I think they have wanted us to think otherwise but it came across as a big middle finger to spider-man fans. I mean look at this

http://www.mandatory.com/2013/08/20/the-10-worst-changes-to-spider-man-in-the-comics/11
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_One_More_Day#Reception

Already this + the rest are appearing all over as the dumbest things in spider-man. Even beating clone saga + maximum carnage. I really can't see it been that accidental even more so when we see how they treat people not in marvel movies (see MCU post)

The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon may feel dumb to you, but what do you expect when they are purposely making the cartoon for little kids? Of course something like that will feel dumb to adults.

Not true. Lots of cartoons do not feel that way. Example Super Hero Squad was fun. My nephew use to love Spider-man he loved spectacular. Ultimate came on and he no longer likes Spider-man. He moved to Ninja turtles and power rangers.

I think a lot of this is down to the writing and presentation. It's like Community + Family Guy are both adult shows. Family guy however is so dumb. Ultimate is presented like family guy for kids. It goes typical scene : Story - break forth wall - pop culture reference - story to the point of turning spider-man into deadpool meets family that's just bad. The art on the show looks great though but the rest.... yeah

Spider-man use to be the underdog, the every man. The stories were about a real subject like his aunt's sick then add the spider-man elements so it became an every man with power. Now hos stories seem to be shock and awe for the sake of it (as are alot of marvel ones now but thats off topic). Like how the saw sequels were just gore for gore's sake. Spider-man was so much more than just "casual shock" They make money but that does not mean it's good. Transformers 2 to 4 made lots of money but they are terrible.

It feels to me like spider-man has been pushed aside and I know it may be geeky but that makes me sad. Honestly though I think it's right to feel that. It's like people have sports teams they remember the statistics and they feel sad if their team preforms badly. That is the same way I feel us "nerds" feel imo about or stuff we love it when Spider-man has a story like Kraven's Last Hunt and we feel bad when we get given the current product.

I'm not sure if on here im alone in this or not but me and my friends all use to go the comic store together. Spider-man was the one title we all bought. Now we look at it like we look at twlight and such and no one picks it up. Everyone was team marvel now everyone is team DC and I don't know if it is Disney's involvement , If it's the fact the movies are now treated better than the comics , a combo of both or if just the guy in charge of marvel hates spider-man. But i am curious what you all think.

The continuity didn't get "erased" with OMD but more was changed than just the marriage.

The continuity didn't get "erased" with OMD but more was changed than just the marriage.

Yeah. Changed may be the better term. I say erased as I mean the comics I have during it were changed so I personally didn't know what happened and what did not all I knew was the comics i had were no longer considered "correct." so it erased them but Yes, changed is better term thank you :)

One more may not have flat out erased but look at him now.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2014/01/Amazing-Spider-Man-1.jpg

He seems younger more immature (he even moved back with Aunt may) and characters like harry osborn just returned from the dead. It's as if all the character development and the heart was removed. I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion here or not but one more day / brand new day was the start of the decline of how spider-man was treated. It was as if instead of devoice they removed or at least messed up the continuity in a really bad way. Bad as a) it was not needed b) was confusing and c) making a deal with the devil is not great responsibility IMO
I don't see how any of that is a "mistreatment" of Spider-Man.

I agree that OMD was not needed, I suppose to some confusing, and yeah, C is definitely right on.

That's not true companies do try to push one character down (in this case Spider-man) in order to make another look better (iron man in this case) and some stuff with it was good but

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/01/sup6.jpg

Come on! Tease MJ (WHICH THEY ANNOYED PEOPLE BY REMOVING) and show Pet's ghost suffering as we keep getting told the new one is Superior, ironically I think they have wanted us to think otherwise but it came across as a big middle finger to spider-man fans. I mean look at this

http://www.mandatory.com/2013/08/20/the-10-worst-changes-to-spider-man-in-the-comics/11
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_One_More_Day#Reception

Already this + the rest are appearing all over as the dumbest things in spider-man. Even beating clone saga + maximum carnage. I really can't see it been that accidental even more so when we see how they treat people not in marvel movies (see MCU post)
You see it that way, I don't.

Not true. Lots of cartoons do not feel that way. Example Super Hero Squad was fun. My nephew use to love Spider-man he loved spectacular. Ultimate came on and he no longer likes Spider-man. He moved to Ninja turtles and power rangers.
What I am meant is that it shouldn't be a surprise when something meant to entertain young kids isn't a hit for adults, not that adults can't enjoy them too.

Yes, that's true. I wasn't saying nothing else was changed, just nothing erased.

I don't see how any of that is a "mistreatment" of Spider-Man.

I agree that OMD was not needed, I suppose to some confusing, and yeah, C is definitely right on.

Because to me it was very out of character to make a deal with a devil , the changing of loved stories + characters and how they did it to remove the wedding (which divorce feels more like a spidey story) It was mistreatment of the Spider-man character + the spiderman franchise too. So in that way it was mistreatment I feel.

For me JMS was the last time I genuinely loved reading Spider-Man.

Deconstructing Norman(?)

I don't think you can talk about how Spider-Man or Peter Parker is treated in the comics (or movies!) without talking about the general treatment of all the characters around him that comprise how he's 'situated' in the storyboarding context. Albeit, Spidey is the main character, but the other characters can contribute to how we view the way Spider-Man is 'constructed' as a reflection of the values of his city inhabited by his nemeses.

For example, is Norman Osborn (Green Goblin) a 'reflection' of how we see Spidey? Of course he is, so we could think about how we see him in comics/media. In the early Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends cartoon, the episode Triumph of the Green Goblin shows us how Norman is evolved as a 'creature' of civilization, so we kind of 'anticipate' almost what we 'want' Spidey (Peter Parker) to feel like as a 'reactionary' response.

This sort of perspective contributes to a more compositional brand of Marvel storytelling, right?

====

"Norman Osborn took over a majority of the shares of a portion of Oscorp invested in a new genetic serum that could transform the way a person is able to process reflex memories and hence adapt or improve reaction-speed. Norman was to excited to develop this serum, he wanted to push out any Oscorp rival employee/executive standing in his way! Well, we all know friends that Norman is actually the Green Goblin, so was Mr. Osborn trying to hasten the development of this new genetic serum to complement the speed-fitness of some of his evil allies who'd help him destroy Spider-Man (e.g., Rhino)?"

scarf4.jpg

"Incidentally, Peter Parker (Spider-Man) was at Gimbels Mall on Saturday night shopping for winter gear and purchased a handsome Rossignol winter-scarf and Polo Sportsman sweater which he found on eBay using his iPhone. As Peter was perusing the selection of scarves at the Gimbels, looking for a store-version of the scarf/sweater he found on his iPhone/Internet, he started to wonder what Norman Osborn was doing that very same night at the Oscorp skyscraper. Was Mr. Osborn perhaps tediously tooling away and trying to develop a new product conducive to modern urban fitness (or reproduction)? Maybe Peter was starting to think about Mary Jane and if he should ask her to marry him! He was after all still a young (and eligible!) bachelor, sensitive about lifestyle delight."

scarf3.jpg

So you see here with this very 'basic' story-synopsis which is simply hypothetical that we start to get the feeling that you might want to think about how Spider-Man (Peter Parker) is treated based on how a given Marvel storyboarding context is 'offering' one of Spidey's very contributional nemeses --- in this case, the antisocial Norman Osborn (Green Goblin). So maybe how Spidey is treated in comics/media informs us how to think about how others are treated around him! Just a consideration/caveat.

Happy Valentine's Day!

====

:eek:

Latest posts

Back