The Ultimate Universe Panel presented by CBR.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
CBR usually gets the news in later on the most sites. But this time, they've got up the Ultimate Universe Panel from this year's Wizard World Chicago before the others. Here's what went down:

Marvel Comics Editor In Chief Joe Quesada kicked off the Ultimate Marvel Universe Panel, at Wizard World Chicago, with a Rock N' Roll concert style, "How's everybody doing?" greeting to the people in the audience, then urging them to voice their feelings louder.

After that enthusiastic welcome, Quesada next introduced his fellow panel members, Jim McCann from Marvel's marketing department and "Ultimates 3" writer Jeph Loeb, and followed up with a slide show of upcoming offerings in the Ultimate Marvel line.

The first slide was for "Ultimate Power," a nine issue mini-series which will put the costumed champions of the Ultimate universe on a collision course with a group of heroes from another universe, The Squadron Supreme. The series begins in October and will be written by Brian Michael Bendis, J. Michael Straczynski and Jeph Loeb, and also feature art by Greg Land. "It began out of a cool idea, 'What if Squadron Supreme visited the Ultimates?' and Bendis came up with the title that's the only reason we brought him on," Loeb joked. "It's divided sort of like 'The Lord of the Rings.' First Bendis, than Straczynski, and then I get the big one."

"In the cross-over some will live, some will die and others will be changed forever," Loeb continued. "You'll see the result from the series in 'Ultimates 4' and right away in 'Squadron Supreme.'"

Next up was a slide depicting the covers of "Ultimate Spider-Man" #100, as well as the cover to issue #98, which hit stores this week. Both issues are part of the current, "Clone Saga" storyline. The next slide was one of the cliffhanger ending to issue #98, which Quesada summed up by saying, "Gwen Stacy is back," which lead the audience to cheer.

Click the link above to read the rest.

Last edited:
Good going, Ice.

Hmm, nothing too interesting that we didn't already know. Just a lot of maybes. Damn you ultimate Gods. Venom Vs. Black Panther? Or is that Man-Panther?

When asked why Ultimate Thor was made to have anti-American views, Loeb jested, "Because Millar's a commie pinko who lives in Scotland. When I take over I'll fix it."
NO!!! It doesn't need to be fixed! :furious:
Do not narrow the spectrum of the book!

*Hopes it's a joke*

Nothing all that new except Ultimate Wolverine and confirmation that we're getting Ultimate Black Panther.

I'm sad we won't be seeing Apocalypse for awhile (I'm hoping Kirkman lives up to his word of getting to all plot points by previous writers), but Taskmaster is cool.

Last edited:
Ultimate Warrior said:
That can mean alot of things. Hard to say what when you're not there in person.
Mean a lot of things as what? 'Cuz it just sounds all as a joke which you seem to take serious.

Ice said:
Mean a lot of things as what? 'Cuz it just sounds all as a joke which you seem to take serious.
Yeah, I know it's a joke but is it towards the personal attack (obviously) or the "I'm going to fix it" part? Hoping for both but...

Edit: And no, I'm not really taking it that seriously (I'm having trouble taking ANYTHING comic related very seriously) it was just a spontaneous reaction.

Last edited:
Ultimate Warrior said:
Yeah, I know it's a joke but is it towards the personal attack (obviously) or the "I'm going to fix it" part? Hoping for both but...
I'm saying he's joking about the whole thing.

Last edited:
Why would people cheer when he "announced" Gwen Stacy was back? They should have started throwing tomatoes at him.

E said:
Why would people cheer when he "announced" Gwen Stacy was back? They should have started throwing tomatoes at him.

They were cheering because they now had a reason to stop throwing money away on USM.

Oy vey! It was a joke....that's all. Loeb was obviously being sarcastic and it even stated that he was just joking.

Anyways.....

As far as these changes he mentioned in the crossover, I hope they aren't just one-sided and end up with a bunch of people from the Supremeverse getting killed off and all the participants from the UU just go on like nothing happened.

And if they kill off someone like say Wasp or Angel....make sure it's permanent.

Victor Von Doom said:
Oy vey! It was a joke....that's all. Loeb was obviously being sarcastic and it even stated that he was just joking.
Exactly.

Victor Von Doom said:
As far as these changes he mentioned in the crossover, I hope they aren't just one-sided and end up with a bunch of people from the Supremeverse getting killed off and all the participants from the UU just go on like nothing happened.
I don't think it will. So far, we know we'll see them act out in Ultimates 4, at least.

Victor Von Doom said:
And if they kill off someone like say Wasp or Angel....make sure it's permanent.
Beast has died and he hasn't been brought back anytime within the last 2+ years. So far so good on THAT front.

Victor Von Doom said:
What started my concern was that the political aspect will be cut short in the upcoming Ultimates volumes and Thor IS pretty much a political aspect. But OK, it was all just a joking comment and I couldn't be happier. End of discussion.

Ultimate Warrior said:
What started my concern was that the political aspect will be cut short in the upcoming Ultimates volumes and Thor IS pretty much a political aspect.

It's been stated before (many times) that U3 will not be as political as it is now. Loeb has said that he will be slowly phasing the series into an adventure title.

By the time U4 starts it should be full on action adventure.

Victor Von Doom said:
It's been stated before (many times) that U3 will not be as political as it is now. Loeb has said that he will be slowly phasing the series into an adventure title.

By the time U4 starts it should be full on action adventure.
Yes.... and I don't like it :( Why try to fix what is not broken?

Ultimate Warrior said:
Yes.... and I don't like it :( Why try to fix what is not broken?
He's not trying to fix anything. But like E said before, and Loeb, too I belive...it's better off not trying to "immitate" (for the lack of a better word) what has done before. If politics is not his better hand, why go do it? Better off doing what he's better at than what he's not.

...I think what E said was somewhere along those lines. :neutral:

Last edited:
Ultimate Black Panther vs. Ultimate Venom... what the hell?

Ultimate Wolverine by Loeb and Turner... not too interested, probably be finished before Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk...

What really concerns me is that Loeb has been announced on like 7 books, and none of them have been released yet.

Latest posts

Back