The View Askewniverse Films Discussion Thread

Gothamite

In layman's terms...Kevin Smith's 'Jay & Silent Bob' films.

I was introduced to these gems only last summer, I'm ashamed to say. I was browsing through my friend's downloaded films and I noticed he had 'Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back' and we decided to watch it. It was really quite funny, but weeks later, having watched all of the other Smith films (thus understanding the mountain of in-jokes), Strike Back became something beyond funny, it became genius.

I really love all of these films, because they're so sort of realistic and yet completely abstract at the same time, depending on which one you're watching. I love the way Smith doesn't care about casting the same actor for different roles in the films, because it all adds up leading to hilarity in Strike Back.

If I had to choose my favourite, it would probably be Clerks, Mallrats or Strike Back. I loved all the other ones as well, though. The only one that was a bit disappointing was Clerks II.

In layman's terms...Kevin Smith's 'Jay & Silent Bob' films.

I was introduced to these gems only last summer, I'm ashamed to say. I was browsing through my friend's downloaded films and I noticed he had 'Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back' and we decided to watch it. It was really quite funny, but weeks later, having watched all of the other Smith films (thus understanding the mountain of in-jokes), Strike Back became something beyond funny, it became genius.

I really love all of these films, because they're so sort of realistic and yet completely abstract at the same time, depending on which one you're watching. I love the way Smith doesn't care about casting the same actor for different roles in the films, because it all adds up leading to hilarity in Strike Back.

If I had to choose my favourite, it would probably be Clerks, Mallrats or Strike Back. I loved all the other ones as well, though. The only one that was a bit disappointing was Clerks II.

Clerks is my favorite. The fact that I am Dante Hicks in all but name probably helps that. Chasing Amy is probably his best film overall. And I found Clerks II to be slightly disappointing too.

One of my favorite DVDs is the Tenth Anniversary edition of Clerks with two different cuts of the film and a third disc with so many extras it took me the better part of a week to get through them. I loves it.

It's all about Mallrats. For serious.

While I have all of his movies and even the Clerks: The Animated Series DVD.....the 2 films I find myself coming back to over and over again are Dogma and Mallrats.

I think I was the only one who wasn't disappointed by Clerks II. You can't really expect it to compare to the original Clerks film...but it was terribly funny none the less.

Chasing Amy, while probably his best film, is my least favorite.

I think Clerks 2 was the best and Dogma was just ugh...

Dogma was hilarious.

Tell me something no one on earth could know!

You masturbate more than anyone else on the planet.

Everyone knows that!

And you think about guys when you do it.

...Not all the time.

I think I was the only one who wasn't disappointed by Clerks II. You can't really expect it to compare to the original Clerks film...but it was terribly funny none the less.

Chasing Amy, while probably his best film, is my least favorite.

i liked chasing amy till silent bob opened his mouth and ruined the film for me

Baxter said:
Dogma was hilarious

"GEAR?!?!?!?" i couldnt stop laughing for hours from that

I really liked Clerks 2, and I actually really didn't like Strikes Back, but I should probably see it again. I mean, it was funny, it just didn't have the heart the other movies did.

DSF LIST ACTIVATE!!

1. Chasing Amy
2. Clerks
3. Dogma
4. Clerks 2
5. Mallrats
6. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back

Mallrats would maybe be higher, but the guy who plays T.S. just can't act.

I own 'em all. And that includes Clerks:The Animated Series and the 3 comics (Clerks, Chasing Dogma and Bluntman and Chronic).

My favorite is hard to pick. I'd usually pick Dogma, but I've seen Dogma so. many. times (Thanks, Comedy Central) that I'm utterly sick of it. I'd probably go with Mallrats. Least favorite is Chasing Amy. I just couldn't get into it.

Order time:

1. Mallrats
2. Dogma
3. Clerks
4. Clerks II
5. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
6. Chasing Amy

I'd stick Clerks: TAS and the comic inbetween the two Clerks movies, Chasing Dogma after Jay and Silent Bob (Because that comic was basically JaSBSB in comic form), and Bluntman and Chronic after Clerks II.

I really liked Clerks 2, and I actually really didn't like Strikes Back, but I should probably see it again. I mean, it was funny, it just didn't have the heart the other movies did.

DSF LIST ACTIVATE!!

1. Chasing Amy
2. Clerks
3. Dogma
4. Clerks 2
5. Mallrats
6. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back

Total agreement.

My two favorite movies from Kevin Smith would have to be Clerks and Mallrats. It would really depend on the day you asked me which one I thought was better... You ask me right now? Mallrats. That MAY be because I saw that most recently... But you know, it could very well be Clerks tomorrow.

One of his movies though, I believe is entirely too OVERRATED... To the point where I am annoyed when I hear it's "so funny" and "his best". DOGMA. Jesus, everyone LOVES this one. I mean, this may be because I've seen it myself more times than I can count (at church, no less)... But honestly, not one of his best. This is on the same level as Clerks 2 for me... Funny, but not as funny as people make it out to be.

"Mommy, that guy is a lousier actor than I expected!"

"Well what did you expect, sweetie?"

"I thought all British actors were supposed to be better than Americans!"

"Oh, sweetie, but he IS American. He just happens to be named London."

"What a dirty trick!"

"I know. And there're two of them, too!"

You're in no condition to say that Strikes Back wasn't funny unless you've seen all of the films that came before it.

That's insane. Yeah, it's got some jokes that you won't get if you hadn't seen the others, but it's in no way required to find the movie funny or not.

It's kinda both. While some jokes are just basically funny. Some jokes are enhanced by winks and nods at the other films.

Case in point....

Silent Bob having a Batman-esque utility belt with a grappling hook is funny. But it becomes even funnier after seeing the scene in Mallrats.

A lot his jokes tie into his other movies....but it's not like you're required to see the others just to get his jokes. Except for say when Jay and SB go see Holden and he says the "cereal" line. If you've never seen Chasing Amy then that joke is lost on you.

Kinda like Pirates of the Carribean 2. You didn't need to see the first one to follow the story or know who everyone is....but if you did see the first one then you're bound to get more out of it.

It's kinda both. While some jokes are just basically funny. Some jokes are enhanced by winks and nods at the other films.

Case in point....

Silent Bob having a Batman-esque utility belt with a grappling hook is funny. But it becomes even funnier after seeing the scene in Mallrats.

A lot his jokes tie into his other movies....but it's not like you're required to see the others just to get his jokes. Except for say when Jay and SB go see Holden and he says the "cereal" line. If you've never seen Chasing Amy then that joke is lost on you.

Kinda like Pirates of the Carribean 2. You didn't need to see the first one to follow the story or know who everyone is....but if you did see the first one then you're bound to get more out of it.
Well put, good sir.

Latest posts

Back