The Western Thread

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
With 3:10 to Yuma being released this friday, and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford coming just a few weeks later, I figured it's about time to start a thread to honor one of the first truly American Genres, that of the mythical West. Cowboys and Indians... Sheriffs with Six-Shooters... These are some of the best archetypes in Film...

So what's your favorite Western? Are you a John Wayne kind of guy, or do you think that Eastwood is the champion of the Genre? Do you prefer the contemporary westerns (Unforgiven, Tombstone), the early westerns (anything before Sergio Leone), or the Spaghetti Westerns (Sergio Leone and his contemporaries)?

I still really need to see Once Upon a Time in the West and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid... Other suggestions?

I studied the Western genre in Media Studies this year. I was surprised that we didn't watch The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly or any other Clint Eastwood movie. Shocking.

What we did watch included Dances With Wolves, The Great Train Robbery, Young Guns, Young Guns II, My Name is Nobody, and some other movies which were pretty **** and thus had to be turned off 10 minutes into them because they were so bad.

The Western genre is fun though. I can't wait to see Quentin Tarantino's idea.

I'm a fan off the Spaghetti Western.

I feel that the Contemporary Wester (anything made after Unforgiven), feels like the legitimate successor to the Spaghetti/Peckinpah Western.

Though, I will freely admit, my favorite western ever is Silverado.

Not gonna see it until I see The Seven Samurai, but I plan to see both before the end of the year

In all seriousness, nobody's mentioned The Magnificient Seven yet?:?

See, I'm a snob on this, even as much as I love Yul Brenner, it's *just* a rehash of the Seven Samurai.

Tombstone was excellent, much better than Wyatt Earp by Costner. Both Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer gave great performances in that movie

Val needs to be in more films

Last edited:
Val DEFINITELY needs to be getting more work.

Back to the Future III

Ugh.

You know it.

And Ugh x2.

Although admittedly, my dislike comes from my dislike of Michael J. Fox.

Yeah....you heard right. I recently saw Teen Wolf, Secret of My Success, Doc Hollywood and all Back to the Futures.......and for the life of me I cannot see what the hell the people of the 80s saw in smarmy bastard.

Granted---he was perfect as Alex P. Keaton....but everything else just annoyed the hell outta me.

I'm a fan off the Spaghetti Western.

I feel that the Contemporary Wester (anything made after Unforgiven), feels like the legitimate successor to the Spaghetti/Peckinpah Western.

Though, I will freely admit, my favorite western ever is Silverado.

Unforgiven is probably the greatest western ever made. Better than the "Man With No Name" trilogy. Better than "Tombstone". Better than anything you can name.

In all seriousness, nobody's mentioned The Magnificient Seven yet?:?

See, I'm a snob on this, even as much as I love Yul Brenner, it's *just* a rehash of the Seven Samurai.

I'm kinda with Skotti on this one.

Seven Samurai is my favorite film of all time and though "Magnificent Seven" is a truly fantastic film....when I watch it I can't help but get a little bored and feel the overwhelming urge to just pop in my Criterion Collection version of "Seven Samurai".

Oh well Yul. We'll always have "The 10 Commandments" and "Westworld". :D

Now on the opposite end of the western/shoot 'em up genre....we have my personal fav---the Epic Western.

Movie like "Open Range", "Broken Trail", "Crossfire Trail" rank amongst my favs.

Particularly because the characters are deeper and violence is only used to advance the story and not just because "some varmit had it coming".

I'm a big fan of Eastwood...though I can never decide which of the Dollars Trilogy I like the best.

I'm a big fan of Eastwood...though I can never decide which of the Dollars Trilogy I like the best.

Really? Quality-wise, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is definitely the best madw with the most interesting plot... The other two are okay, but they're definitely not on the same level as TGTBaTU.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and Unforgiven are probably my two favorites... Tied...

The Outlaw Josey Wales is close behind those two...

3:10 to Yuma looks good. I haven't seen the original, but there hasn't really been a major western since Tombstone.

Really? Quality-wise, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is definitely the best madw with the most interesting plot... The other two are okay, but they're definitely not on the same level as TGTBaTU.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and Unforgiven are probably my two favorites... Tied...

The Outlaw Josey Wales is close behind those two...

I'm going to disagree. A fistful of dollars is one of my favorite films. For a Few dollars more is probably the weakest, but I still find it inexplicably awesome...

I haven't seen nearly enough westerns, but I'd like to. I really want to watch the Dollars Trilogy and they play it on tv all the time, but always out of order and days apart and whatnot.

Wow. Guys, I just saw 3:10 to Yuma. It's probably the best film I've seen all year. I seriously recommend it.

Latest posts

Back