Spider-Man The Year of Spider-Man Is 2010

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Newsarama:

On Monday Marvel released what's sure to be the first of multi-part tease regarding the Spider-Man family in 2010, with the brief copy, "The Year of Spider-Man Is 2010."

ASM_2010_01.jpg

I can believe that statement, "The Year of Spider-Man Is 2010." Did you see how many Spidey issues come out in March! But I'm a huge Spidey fan so I can't wait and hope I can afford it all.

The problem with that statement is how incredibly hard it will be to follow up on it. Marvel can produce all the Spider-Man issues they want, but they're still not as profitable since the One More Day debacle. If they want to get their readership back without undoing OMD/BND, they're going to have to do some quality writing...which is difficult considering how often both titles are realeased. Then again, we have the example of 52...

The problem with that statement is how incredibly hard it will be to follow up on it. Marvel can produce all the Spider-Man issues they want, but they're still not as profitable since the One More Day debacle. If they want to get their readership back without undoing OMD/BND, they're going to have to do some quality writing...which is difficult considering how often both titles are realeased. Then again, we have the example of 52...

Really? I think the quality's fluctuated a lot, but there's been a number of good to great stories, and that ratio has only picked up as the title spins into the Gauntlet. As for numbers, I understood that the numbers were actually pretty good.

(According to the sales figures, it's dropped off in sales 25.9% in the past year and 31.7% in five years. But you have to keep in mind that it's shipping tri-monthly. I guess to really get a good feel for it, you'd have to find the sales for the cumulative Spider-Man sales of one year or five years ago and figure out the mean. I'd imagine when there were three separate Spidey titles, the others didn't sell nearly as well as ASM, which means you need to compare ASM at present to the whole Spidey line pre-OMD/BND. But by the same token, the drop-off in sales for other marquis Marvel titles seem to have hit a similar decline, which means that ASM seems to be holding steady with other big name books despite the fact that it ships thrice monthly)

Incidentally, while November sales show sale by unit (for all Marvel titles, not just Spidey) are down by 8% in the last ten years (4 in the past five), dollar sales are up by 23 (16). Is ASM at the 3.99 or 2.99 price point?

Last edited:
Man I miss the Iron Spider. It was such a great suit. So much better than the black suit.

That's really all I can contribute to any conversation about Spider-Man.

yeah, i really hope this is good.

Spidey's my favourite and i love to see good stories for him. I don't care if they are events, or if the world will never be the same again, i just want enjoyable stories.

As I've said in the ASM boards, the electro arc of 'The Gauntlet' sucked, but the first issue of Sandman was way better. So here's hoping.

I'm interested, Arana hasn't been used much lately.

Man I miss the Iron Spider. It was such a great suit. So much better than the black suit.

That's really all I can contribute to any conversation about Spider-Man.

I like how they've kept it around in Avengers: Initiative.

2010 is the year of Superman and Batman. And Flash. And probably Green Lantern again.

DC!

[/earth-2 nurhachi]

I, for one, think it's about time they dedicated themselves to this Spider-Man character. I think he can be pretty big if they'd just focus some attention on him. Maybe even get some TV shows and movies out of it.

"The Year of Spider-Man" :roll:

Yeah, I haven't bothered with Spider-Man comics in years. I have a handful of the Ultimate TPBs, and they're always entertaining (although I hear they get abominably bad pretty early on) and I read way back in the JMS days in British reprints, but I stopped around the time the second movie came out. When I heard about One More Day, I pretty much lost interest in ever reading them again. What a colossal ****-storm of an idea.

That's a pretty bold statement they've made, but if I start hearing good things, who knows what might happen. I'm still going to be mostly concerned with Batman (primarily The Return of Bruce Wayne) in 2010.

Last edited:
Looks like Carlie Cooper.
727232-carlie_cooper1_super.jpg

Because he's awesome.

yeah, most likely. They've dropped some hints in that direction, but Carly wasn't even in the book from the end of Character Assassination until the beginning of the sandman arc.

To be honest, I was kind of hoping that Peter and Betty would hook up again for a while. And then, I was kind of hoping that something more would happen with Black Cat (Peter suspects that he knows Felisha's new identity from the end of the Black Cat arc: I was hoping more would happen with that).

I want Peter and MJ to get back together eventually, but in the mean time i'm all for him dating someone else. But Carly and Peter dating doesn't really interest me very much.

Looks like Carlie Cooper.
727232-carlie_cooper1_super.jpg

Because he's awesome.

I can't see it lasting. Mostly because of the writer's dedication to keeping a "swinging, single" Pete.

Yeah, I haven't bothered with Spider-Man comics in years. I have a handful of the Ultimate TPBs, and they're always entertaining (although I hear they get abominably bad pretty early on) and I read way back in the JMS days in British reprints, but I stopped around the time the second movie came out. When I heard about One More Day, I pretty much lost interest in ever reading them again. What a colossal ****-storm of an idea.

That's a pretty bold statement they've made, but if I start hearing good things, who knows what might happen. I'm still going to be mostly concerned with Batman (primarily The Return of Bruce Wayne) in 2010.

Agreed. It's been too long for me to stay angry about it, so I'm just going to remain apathetic. Which is more damaging to the new status quo, in aa way.

Latest posts

Back