What do rate Thor: The Dark World?

• Total voters

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
So I just got back from seeing it. I really liked it a lot. I read a lot of complaints online about how the first hour is slow and how the villain is underdeveloped and his motivations unclear, and how the humour didn't mesh well with the darker themes. I didn't think any of that was a problem. The villain was sort of two-dimensional in his motivation and characterization, but I didn't mind at all. The only bit of humour I could have done without was Dr Selvig running around naked and/or in his underwear - that just felt a little too much. But everything else was great. And of course Loki was the best part. I'm really interested to see where his story goes after the way the movie ended.

I also really liked the mid-credits scene with the Collector. Benicio Del Toro played him really bizarrely. That's not a complaint.

And I geeked out over the Adam Warlock cocoon.

Bring on Cap and the Guardians!

EDIT: Oh, and the Cap cameo completely caught me off guard and made me laugh. AND, the one thing that I guess could be a complaint if I cared is that Malekith was basically Nero from the first rebook Star Trek. Foe from another time that is sleeping in a monstrous ship until the right time. Wants revenge and to destroy everything with a powerful red liquid...

Last edited:
So I just got back from seeing it. I really liked it a lot. I read a lot of complaints online about how the first hour is slow and how the villain is underdeveloped and his motivations unclear, and how the humour didn't mesh well with the darker themes. I didn't think any of that was a problem. The villain was sort of two-dimensional in his motivation and characterization, but I didn't mind at all.

Yeah, the complaints are typical comic book fanboy crap. I swear I think a lot of those folks complain because they're under the mistaken impression it makes them sound more intelligent. Course most often the ones who do complain don't give reasons for their dislikes, instead resorting to trolling. Idiots.

The only bit of humour I could have done without was Dr Selvig running around naked and/or in his underwear - that just felt a little too much. But everything else was great.

You Canadians are such prudes.

And of course Loki was the best part. I'm really interested to see where his story goes after the way the movie ended.

According to Anthony Hopkins, Alan Taylor, and implied by Kevin Feige, Odin is dead, apparently murdered by Loki

And I geeked out over the Adam Warlock cocoon.

I didn't notice that...I'm assuming that was in The Collector scene?

I MISSED AN ADAM WARLOCK REFERENCE!!?

Looks like I have to go see the movie again.

Yeah, the complaints are typical comic book fanboy crap. I swear I think a lot of those folks complain because they're under the mistaken impression it makes them sound more intelligent. Course most often the ones who do complain don't give reasons for their dislikes, instead resorting to trolling. Idiots.

I don't see how criticizing aspects of the movie is "typical comic book fanboy crap". Most of the movie works, but there are definitely things that don't (as there are in most movies). For example, after Loki seemingly dies they go straight to some gag in the cave. I can't remember what the exact nature of it was. I think they didn't something similar after Frigga was killed. Additionally, the criticism that Malekith is a two dimensional character is fair.

Last edited:
I don't see how criticizing aspects of the movie is "typical comic book fanboy crap". Most of the movie works, but there are definitely things that don't (as there are in most movies). For example, after Loki seemingly dies they go straight to some gag in the cave. I can't remember what the exact nature of it was. I think they didn't something similar after Frigga was killed. Additionally, the criticism that Malekith is a two dimensional character is fair.

I'm not talking about fair or logical criticism, I'm talking about the numerous "It sucked" comments from people merely because they're DC fanboys or trolling or there were approaches taken they didn't agree with. Kind of like what happened by fans with IM3 and the Mandarin twist.

Last edited:
Oh god. Whinest of the whiners. "NERT MAI MERNDERIAN!"

You Canadians are such prudes.
False. Baptist pastors are prudes.

According to Anthony Hopkins, Alan Taylor, and implied by Kevin Feige, Odin is dead, apparently murdered by Loki

Huh, that would definitely put him beyond all reconciliation with Thor. I think I prefer him in the camp of "I want to like him and I want Thor and him to be buddies again." But then, maybe he'll just be great at being completely evil too.

I didn't notice that...I'm assuming that was in The Collector scene?
Yep, it was pretty huge and centrally featured.

There was a whole funeral scene after Frigga died. But by the time the predator uruk hai killed Loki I was way too into the movie to care that there wasn't another grieving scene. The entire universe was in danger, no time to mourn. Of course, I knew he wasn't dead. I fell for him betraying Thor, I wasn't going to fall for his tricks again!

I'm not talking about fair or logical criticism, I'm talking about the numerous "It sucked" comments from people merely because they're DC fanboys or trolling or there were approaches taken they didn't agree with. Kind of like what happened by fans with IM3 and the Mandarin twist.

Oh god. Whinest of the whiners. "NERT MAI MERNDERIAN!"

I didn't like the Mandarin twist, just because I thought it wasn't handled well and Killian wasn't developed well enough to be an interesting villain. But when I watched it again I liked it much more. And Malekith certainly wasn't an interesting villain either, but there was enough going on in the movie that it didn't bother me.

There was a whole funeral scene after Frigga died. But by the time the predator uruk hai killed Loki I was way too into the movie to care that there wasn't another grieving scene. The entire universe was in danger, no time to mourn. Of course, I knew he wasn't dead. I fell for him betraying Thor, I wasn't going to fall for his tricks again!

I know there was a funeral scene. I remember there being some sort of gag between her death and the funeral though, that felt out of place. I could be imagining things though. I just felt like it went back and forth between emotional moments and jokes that it was a bit jarring. Overall, it's a fairly minor quibble.

I know there was a funeral scene. I remember there being some sort of gag between her death and the funeral though, that felt out of place. I could be imagining things though. I just felt like it went back and forth between emotional moments and jokes that it was a bit jarring. Overall, it's a fairly minor quibble.

Pretty sure that there wasn't any joke between Frigga's death scene and the funeral scene. I'm almost positive that the funeral scene picked up immediately after the death scene, with only the scene of Loki being notified of her death in his prison cell occurring between. I'll have to watch it again to be sure but I'm quite sure there was no joke following her death scene.

I just watched it Monday and no, there wasn't. What you said there was exactly how it happened.

I also agree with Cap Capnuck that the movie could've done without a naked Selvig. I laughed and all, but I still agree.

The movie was great an I had a great time watching it. I'm not sure yet if I like it more than the first, but it's definitely as much fun, nonetheless. I loved the jokes and getting to hear Darcy say, "Mew mew!" was great!

The mid-credits scene with the Collecter was terrible. The acting by that first girl was cringe worthy as was Del Toro's movement. Bah. And this part was directed by Gunn. Hope the GotG movie is better than this part. Alan Scott says he doesn't like how this was done and would've done it differently.

Revealing that the Teseract and Aether are actually Infinity gems (which I believe were hinted at during the movie) is awesome. Aether is definitely the power gem. That's what it was in the movie. An artifact that gave power.

Avengers 3 is so going to be the Infinity Gauntlet story and that's exciting!!!

I also agree with Cap Capnuck that the movie could've done without a naked Selvig. I laughed and all, but I still agree.
See? It's not just me. Cap Capnuck and Ice both agree.

getting to hear Darcy say, "Mew mew!" was great!
Haha, yeah. I loved that.

The mid-credits scene with the Collecter was terrible. The acting by that first girl was cringe worthy as was Del Toro's movement. Bah. And this part was directed by Gunn. Hope the GotG movie is better than this part. Alan Scott says he doesn't like how this was done and would've done it differently.
Huh, I can't think of a time you've ever complained about something, Ice. Usually everyone else is grumbling and you come in all cheery like and say, "I thought it was cool!"

Latest posts

Back