Thoughts about "The Fantastic"

E

Excelsior Club
The first arc is over and for the most part I thought it couldn't have been done better. It started off superbly and was a great modern take on the original story. Characterizations were dead-on perfect and I really liked the idea of Dr. Storm as a mentor to the group - it adds a lot of legitimacy to the idea of having them as 20-somethings.

Mole Man was made out to be far creepier than his 616 counterpart; from a weird monster to a plain weird guy with an unhealthy obsession with the 4 (and Dr. Storm for that matter). I like this Norman Osborn-esque take on him a lot better than the 616 Mole Man version.

And the name Mole Man - dealt with far better than in 616. What kind of loser goes by the name "Mole Man"?! It works mch better as a name dumped on him by snotty kids.

Really my only complaint with the arc was with the last issue and how things ended with Mole Man. Sue's discovery of her force-field abilities was done well too; I just feel kind of gypped by the whole "falling into a bottomless pit" shtick. It didn't really seem like there was resolution to the story, and I know that it leaves the book open for a Mole Man return but it wasn't even really like they beat him.

Overall it was a great arc and it will be too bad to see Bendis leaving, but I'm really looking forward to Warren Ellis. :D

I really liked it. I thought it was a great arc to introduce all of the characters and their powers, and that aspect of it was handled realy, really, well. I can't wait for DOOM!!!!!!!!!

Just got my last issue shipped yesterday, and I got to admit:
UFF hasn't lived up to my expectations, yet.
1. I didn't like the are, neither kubert, nor the new guy (from issue 7).
2. The continuity is still fucked up.
3. The arc let me down, storywise. Just like "New Mutants" (UXM), the story started out promising and got weaker in the middle. Might have been a good read as a trade, but streched over 6 months, the final issues just felt disappointing.

i'm with ricky. i thought it started out great and finished just so blah. there's some real unique writing oppurtunities with this book that aren't possible with other team books and i just wish it could have been handled so.

I thought that the Mole Man wasn't touched on much for being such a signifigant character in the children's lives. He was a teacher who brought them up to who they are... Maybe Doc Storm filled that void, too, but Mole Man was something more than he was made out to be.

After seeing the Fantastic Four movie, so far I've bought:
the novelisation by Peter David
Ultimate Fantastic Four #1: The Fantastic - excellent
Ultimate Fantastic Four #2: Doom - excellent
Ultimate Fantastic Four #3: N-Zone - excellent
Ultimate Fantastic Four #4: Inhuman - disappointing

The first thing that was right about The Fantastic was that title, and most of the rest of what was right followed from the title.

The art was lucid enough, and pretty. I don't like the style of the artist in the abstract, in general, but it was appropriate for a series about wonderful things, the joy of exploration, and brave and nice people who belong together, and in whose company I am happy to spend time. It delivered "the fantastic" and that was what mattered.

I liked the build-up to the fantastic event. The pace seemed right. The people seemed right.

Accessibility, from the point of view of someone coming from having liked the characters as seen in the movie, was good. Reed Richards was even younger in the comic than the movie, and I see the fantastic event didn't give him prematurely white temples. Fine. Ben Grimm was Reed Richards' friend and protector from way back. Good. Sue Storm was a scientist. Fine. Victor Van Damme was involved in the fantastic event. Good. I liked very much that what was driving this was that Reed Richards wanted to see and find out about wonderful things never before seen. His motives were straightforward and good.

Dr. Molekevik, the Mole Man was fine. Or, I was and am in no mood to pick fault - which in a way is even better. The ecology, arrival and functioning of the underground sea monster near the Baxter Building doesn't bear thinking about. Since I'm in such a good mood, I don't think about it.

I see no weighty negatives in the first volume of Ultimate Fantastic Four.

:)

Looking back, I think it's lucky Rhona was never in a position to be a pupil of Dr. Molekevik. I think she would have been too good a student.

Maybe - likely - we'll see Phineas Mason, who dismantled the security system for the Baxter building and was expelled, in a future volume.

David Blue said:
the novelisation by Peter David
Ultimate Fantastic Four #1: The Fantastic - excellent
Ultimate Fantastic Four #2: Doom - excellent
Ultimate Fantastic Four #3: N-Zone - excellent
Ultimate Fantastic Four #4: Inhuman - disappointing

The first thing that was right about The Fantastic was that title, and most of the rest of what was right followed from the title.

The art was lucid enough, and pretty. I don't like the style of the artist in the abstract, in general, but it was appropriate for a series about wonderful things, the joy of exploration, and brave and nice people who belong together, and in whose company I am happy to spend time. It delivered "the fantastic" and that was what mattered.

I liked the build-up to the fantastic event. The pace seemed right. The people seemed right.

Accessibility, from the point of view of someone coming from having liked the characters as seen in the movie, was good. Reed Richards was even younger in the comic than the movie, and I see the fantastic event didn't give him prematurely white temples. Fine. Ben Grimm was Reed Richards' friend and protector from way back. Good. Sue Storm was a scientist. Fine. Victor Van Damme was involved in the fantastic event. Good. I liked very much that what was driving this was that Reed Richards wanted to see and find out about wonderful things never before seen. His motives were straightforward and good.

Dr. Molekevik, the Mole Man was fine. Or, I was and am in no mood to pick fault - which in a way is even better. The ecology, arrival and functioning of the underground sea monster near the Baxter Building doesn't bear thinking about. Since I'm in such a good mood, I don't think about it.

I see no weighty negatives in the first volume of Ultimate Fantastic Four.

:)

Looking back, I think it's lucky Rhona was never in a position to be a pupil of Dr. Molekevik. I think she would have been too good a student.

Maybe - likely - we'll see Phineas Mason, who dismantled the security system for the Baxter building and was expelled, in a future volume.
WELCOME! :D

I think this is the oldest thread that I've ever seen dug up. But its good that you found this instead of pointlessly making a new thread (like a lot of new people do...).

Welcome, btw.

Icemastertron: glad to meet you. :)

moonmaster: "I think this is the oldest thread that I've ever seen dug up. But its good that you found this instead of pointlessly making a new thread (like a lot of new people do...).

Welcome, btw."

Good to meet you too.

From my point of view, each volume is a story (or in the fourth volume two stories) - effectively a big issue, and there are only four issues so far, so the first one is not too old to discuss. It's all new for me.

TheManWithoutFear: "What he said. I like the newbie Welcome David."

Good. Pleased to meet you too, TheManWithoutFear.

Hmm. I thought the Fantastic was merely okay. It could have been a lot better.

I love Doom though. My favourite UFF arc so far.

David Blue said:

Welcome David, glad you got your account working. :D

What specifically did you find disappointing about Inhuman? The Inhuman story, or the Mad Thinker story? Or both?

The general consensus around here was that the Mad Thinker story was very good, and Inhuman was pretty disappointing.

Latest posts

Back