Top 10 favorite comics currently.

Okay, so it hasn't even been released yet, but this is my new favorite comic.

enhanced-buzz-wide-32580-1334785929-5.jpg

Last edited:
Hrmmm...

In no specific order

Casanova - this is only volume 3 of what was supposed to be 7, but with its recently erratic production schedule who knows if that still holds.
The Manhattan Projects - This book is crazy. I love it. I love it so much.
Locke and Key - Wendel Locke is a moron. I feel that needs to be said at every turn.
BPRD - currently catching up in Hardcovers and i plan to start picking up the Hell on Earth stuff digitaly once i'm finished with those. Dark Horse's discounted digital bundles are great.
Swamp Thing - I know everyone else seems to love Animal Man more but damnit i love me some swamp thing. I can't wait for the return of arcane arc coming up. I hope Snyder builds on the character's uses from Millar and Dysarts run.
Prophet - there are more ideas in one issue of this than in either of the big two's monthly line.
Batman - Dude. Its Batman.
Wonder Woman - i never thought i'd be picking up WW monthly. Ever.
Wolverine and the X-Men - whenever they're at the school its magic. I do wish Bachello could reiign his artwork in a bit though.
All Star Western - Its the best buddy cop western ever.

Yeah, thats it. I get other stuff but this is the cream of it. Honorable Mentions go to Nightwing, Teen Titans and Superboy.

E said:
You mentioned in another thread I think that you read on Comixology - is that how you read comics exclusively?

Not at all. I started with good ol' traditional comics and graphic novels. I still run to the comic store every Wednesday to pick up all the stuff that I MUST have in print. But there are a few reasons I appreciate the convenience of digital comics. Most importantly, I'm a Soldier in the US Army, I've been deployed several times and the Army has moved me to a few different stations. That being said, it's nice to have everything at my fingertips and not taking up space, or having to haul them around everywhere. Also, as many know, the older the comic, the harder to find. The library is ever growing, and it's nice to be able to read comics I'd otherwise never get to see in my lifetime and pretty much only pay cover price. They constantly offer sales, and freebies, so it gives people the opportunity to try out other series they may be curious about. Also, they're starting to try new ways of storytelling, so it's more interactive and almost "animated." They will never replace owning the real thing. A copy on an iPad will never appreciate in value if you keep a mint copy sealed away in a bag or rated case. You can't take an iPad to the conventions and have your favorite creator or artist sign it for you(well you could, but....).

You can't take an iPad to the conventions and have your favorite creator or artist sign it for you(well you could, but....).

Actually I plan to do this with my Kindle Fire.

They constantly offer sales, and freebies

The sales have been getting a lot of my money lately. The Boys sale and the Irredeemable sale especially. I'm a bit surprised that I didn't get any of Fraction's Iron Man and only picked the The Anatomy Lesson off of the Swamp Thing Sale.

God help me if they ever do a Sandman Sale...

Last edited:
Friday said:
Actually I plan to do this with my Kindle Fire.

Haha, yep! That's why I said you actually could, but not much, or you run the risk of not having enough space. After I posted, I thought about how cool it would be to bring a plain white iPad case and commissioning one of my favorite artists to draw something on it! I may do that next time, but I'll still bring my regular comics, too! =)

Man... rob.... why would you drop Scalped so close to it's conclusion? I can understand Walking Dead and Invincible tho.

I loved how Scalped started out, as a dark crime-story set on a reservation, so it had loads of references to native american culture and mythology. Remember when they showed the Totem animals of the main characters? That was awesome. Unfortunately I feel like they've lost that part of the setting and the story has turned into a regular crime story that could have been set anywhere. Which just doesn't interest me as much.

I have similar problems with Invincible and B.P.R.D. They stopped doing what I liked about the book. I loved the continuation gags in invincible (throwing a garbage bag up in the air and it landing in france a few issues later, the same girls walking around in High school and in College, etcetera), but they stopped doing those and its just a regular cape comic now.
B.P.R.D is just to global now. I like them fighting a monster of the week type thing, not fighting off a fullscale invasion. Powercreep killed this book for me.
As for walking dead I just think this book has seriously overstayed it's welcome. I just don't really care anymore. We've seen them on the road, we've seen them trying to bunker down and have a normal life. I might pick this back up near it's conclusion, but because by then I'll probably don't know any of the main characters anymore I'd doubt I will be able to get into it.

I know exactly how you feel. It happens to me sometimes and I hate it. I don't want to become one of those people.

It helps a lot to go back and re-read something you love. Sometimes you just need to look at what you're reading, too, and stop reading stuff you don't like and are forcing yourself to read.

I think rereading stuff I like might be a good Idea. I recently re-read Global Frequency and Sandman and man, those are still awesome! Transmetropolitan next!

Last edited:
Saga
Fantastic Four
Daredevil
Animal Man
Winter Soldier
The Goon
Walking Dead
Frankenstein

Honorable mention: Fables, Batwoman, Batman

In no particular order

Saga
The Manhattan Projects
Prophet
The Sixth Gun
The Goon
Wonder Woman
Swamp Thing
Animal Man
Batman
Nightwing

Manhattan Projects (definitely #1)
Saga (definitely #1...oh...wait)
Fatale
Morning Glories
Chew
Bedlam (only 2 issues in :) )
Mind the Gap
The Massive
Thief of Thieves

10th spot for my favourites that are on hiatus - Casanova and Umbrella Academy

Image, IMHO is MILES, LEAGUES and LIGHT YEARS ahead of Marvel and DC right now. Just based on creative quality, Image is completely superior to the 'big 2'. In fact, if Image took a 'big NUMBER 2' on paper right now, it would likely STILL smell better than Marvel and DC's average recent product. (and that's actually more of a comment on Image's excellence than on M and DC's shortcomings)

I never have a top ten list b/c I don't read 10 series (mostly b/c I try to pay for my comics, but also b/c I'm pretty set in my ways when it comes to comics).

However, I'm sort of in a comics crisis right now.

Since I really got into comics back in 05, my staples have been Amazing Spider-Man, and the Ultimate Marvel Comics. And I've dabbled in other books too - mostly getting the tpbs (New Avengers, Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, Green Lantern, Teen Titans, Batman, The Flash). I've given up on Ultimate Marvel more than once, but I keep coming back (I think it's the small universe aspect. I like being able to follow the whole line). But I'm giving up on Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men once again. I've just realized I could be spending those $8 on better comics each month. On top of that Amazing Spider-Man is ending and I've got no interest in Superior Spider-Man.

So my regular list is decimated and I've got room for some new comics. Also, Comixology has opened up a whole new world for me and I'm exploring a bunch of older stuff that's been off my radar until now (Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, Nova, etc). But I've also latched on to some currently ongoing titles that I'm really enjoying and wouldn't have tried before my "crisis" and before comixology.

That said, here's my current list:

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man
Daredevil
Hawkeye
Amazing Spider-Man (for two more issues)
Wolverine & The X-Men (still catching up on this one)
Uncanny X-Factor (catching up to at least the end of the Dark Angel saga, we'll see after that)

I'm also planning to read all of the Nova series (Vol 4, not the new Loeb series)
and eventually the Guardians of the Galaxy series
and the minis that cross over with those two
and Millar's & Hickman's runs on Fantastic Four

Last edited:
I'll put in a huge thumbs up for Annihilation, then Annihilation Conquest (with Nova's series), then Guardians of the Galaxy, with War of Kings, then Realm of Kings, and finally, that Thanos mini
For a few years there, the Cosmic Marvel line was, I think, the best Marvel had to offer (and that coincided with Brubaker's Cap!), and taken on its own merits, was spectacular. It was a true Space opera! I kind of envy anyone reading it for the first time. Hope you enjoy it! :)

I never have a top ten list b/c I don't read 10 series (mostly b/c I try to pay for my comics, but also b/c I'm pretty set in my ways when it comes to comics).

However, I'm sort of in a comics crisis right now.

Since I really got into comics back in 05, my staples have been Amazing Spider-Man, and the Ultimate Marvel Comics. And I've dabbled in other books too - mostly getting the tpbs (New Avengers, Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, Green Lantern, Teen Titans, Batman, The Flash). I've given up on Ultimate Marvel more than once, but I keep coming back (I think it's the small universe aspect. I like being able to follow the whole line). But I'm giving up on Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men once again. I've just realized I could be spending those $8 on better comics each month. On top of that Amazing Spider-Man is ending and I've got no interest in Superior Spider-Man.

So my regular list is decimated and I've got room for some new comics. Also, Comixology has opened up a whole new world for me and I'm exploring a bunch of older stuff that's been off my radar until now (Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, Nova, etc). But I've also latched on to some currently ongoing titles that I'm really enjoying and wouldn't have tried before my "crisis" and before comixology.

That said, here's my current list:

Daredevil
Hawkeye
Amazing Spider-Man (for two more issues)
Wolverine & The X-Men (still catching up on this one)
Uncanny X-Factor (catching up to at least the end of the Dark Angel saga, we'll see after that)

I'm also planning to read all of the Nova series (Vol 4, not the new Loeb series)
and eventually the Guardians of the Galaxy series
and the minis that cross over with those two
and Millar's & Hickman's runs on Fantastic Four

I loved Millar & Hickman's Fantastic Four runs. Those are what the FF is all about. Captured them perfectly.

You don't read any DC at all? I can't remember if you ever said if you do.

Here's my current top 10:

Saga
Batman Incorporated
Daredevil
Ultimate Spider-Man
Hawkeye
Indestructible Hulk
The Goon
The Walking Dead
Uncanny Avengers
and...Adventure Time, I guess?

It's probably a little early to have Uncanny Avengers and Indestructible Hulk but I really like what I've seen so far. Honorable mention to FF, All-Star Western, Uncanny X-Men (since it's pretty much done), Batwoman, Fatale, Mars Attacks, Swamp Thing, & Animal Man.

You don't read any DC at all? I can't remember if you ever said if you do.

As I said, I dabbled in DC for a bit, with Green Lantern, the Flash, Teen Titans, and Batman - all in tpb, or mostly... I actually downloaded all of Mark Waid's run on the Flash in torrents - I used to do that more. But they totally lost me with the New 52. I like continuity and they rebooted the titles and erased history I had invested time and money into. (I know they didn't reboot everything, but it was enough to turn me off.)

Last edited:
More or less in order from favorite on down:

Saga
Uncanny Avengers
Hawkeye
Mind MGMT
Avengers
Batman Inc.
Daredevil
The Goon
Thor God Of Thunder
FF
The Walking Dead

Oncee again, in no particular order. Which books I'm hottest on change by the issue. I mean that last Fatale...

Saga - Well, its back. And its still good.
Fatale - That last issue was amazing. Probably my favorite of the run. It almost makes up for the fact that we aren't getting Criminal.
Ghosted - Just two isues out and its in my top ten. I love a well done horror story and a heist and this is a mashup of the two. And it just got upgraded to an ongoing too.
Ten Grand - I think a good bit of my interest in this is just needing a Hellblazer fix. But I do so love Ben Templesmiths art.
The Manhatten Projects - Still awesome. The books rapid timeline took a little getting used to. We're getting the major moments of the projects but we've also covered 20 years already. I wonder what we're going to do once we hit the present.
The Sixth Gun - Man, I have a good number of horror comics right now, don't I? Well, at least we've got a ballanced enough marketplace that a Horror Western can survive.
The Uncanny Avengers - This comic is bat**** crazy in all the right ways.
All-New X-Men - I know, its not real popular around here. But its so much fun! And the fact that I didn't suffer through a decade of Bendis on teh Avengers probably means that his ticks haven't driven me insane with rage yet
Captain America - I really wish that they hadn't revealed that the current Uncanny Avengers arc takes place after the current Cap arc. I think that the worst part about it is that if they had waited like a month that story would ahve been over and letting us know when it fits in then would have been fine with me.
Wonder Woman - I really wish Azzarello could just do what he wants to on this book. I mean he's pretty close anyway, but its clear that he wants to do more with WW and Orion and can't because of the WW/Supes relationship.

Honorable Mentions to The Private Eye, Masks and Mobsters, and The Bunker

Last edited:
I'm sticking with 10 Grand for a while but I couldn't put it in a top 10, even if I were only reading 10 books.

I'm staying with 10 grand also. The art is what drew me in originally.

Have you read Fell by Warren Ellis? Ben Templesmith did the art on that as well. It's good - there are 9 issues and I believe they are all available on Comixology.

I love this thread!
I'm going to make a list here of the comics that are on goings, and whose next issue I am most looking forward to.

Manhattan Projects
Saga
East of West
Zero
Velvet
Lazarus
Sheltered
Five Ghosts
Morning Glories
Pretty Deadly
Chew

It's official...ten (or eleven) Image titles
(Hawkeye was close)

Last edited:
My top ten favorite current ongoing comics are:

Saga
Fables
Harbinger
Archer & Armstrong
Eternal Warrior
X-O Manowar
Quantum and Woody!
Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps
Shadowman
Mass Effect - Foundation

No surprise the list is headed by Saga, an all around fantasticly imaginative and fun book by my all time favorite comic writer, BKV. I've recently been catching up on Fables and it's various spin offs, and really enjoying it. Spaces 3-9 are all filled by Valiant titles, again no surprise. And finishing off the list is Mass Effect - Foundation, not because it's inherently a great book (it's not, though it's decent), but merely am enjoying it as an extension of my love for the games and their story, and this series acts as a series of side tales to the game trilogy.

Come January the Miracleman reprints will take over the top spot, most likely.

Latest posts

Back