Spider-Man Torment (Spider-Man #1-5 by Todd McFarlane)

E

Excelsior Club
I find it hard to read anything by Todd McFarlane after the whole Miracleman thing with Neil Gaiman but I picked up the Torment story a while ago and am in the process of reading it. I never read past the first issue.

I'm torn as far as how I feel about it. On one hand the art is awesome. I only have two complaints about the art - I never liked how McFarlane drew eyes, and the color is too 90s. The art is ahead of it's time (isn't typical 90s art) but it would have been cool if they could have recolored it.

The story is cool but it's like I'm reading the birth of decompression. 3 issues in and NOTHING has happened. And the narration is like reading a bad Frank Miller impression.

the first arc of the 'Spider-Man' ongoing from the 90s

Calypso takes control of Lizard and turns him into a mindless beast. Spidey fights Calypso and the Lizard. Lots of bloody battles. Lizard apparently dies at the end.

I have not heard of this story. What's it about?

It was Todd McFarlane's first arc on Spider-Man (adjectiveless). He wrote and drew it. It came just a little after his run on Amazing Spider-Man.

In it, Calypso brings Lizard back from the dead (no idea how he died) to kill Spider-Man. Aaaaaand....that's just about all I know. Lizard kills a bunch of people in it.

In it, Calypso brings Lizard back from the dead (no idea how he died) to kill Spider-Man. Aaaaaand....that's just about all I know. Lizard kills a bunch of people in it.

There's not really much plot to the arc, there's actually not much plot in any of the stuff McFarlane wrote in Spider-Man, though some of it is actually fun (if you get past the corny writing).
The Lizard persona was dead though, not Curt Connors :)
Torment is actually one of the worst arcs from McFarlane in Spider-Man IMO, though the others are much better, I thought the Perceptions arc with Wolverine was pretty fun!

Latest posts

Back