Tropic Thunder, or, that movie where Robert Downey Jr. is black.

Um... no.

Downey's character is basically one of those 'crazy Method actors' who decides to play a black character. He's Kirk Lazarus, critically acclaimed Australian thesp playing Sergeant Osiris.THAT'S why it's awesome.

"Kirk Lazarus underwent a controversial procedure in order to portray..."

He gets teh surgery in the flick. It's not blackface. :wink:

"Kirk Lazarus underwent a controversial procedure in order to portray..."

He gets teh surgery in the flick. It's not blackface. :wink:
Controversial procedure doesn't necessarily mean surgery.

Not that I'm saying your quote source is wrong... just that you're using the wrong quote.

Simply put, I'm not saying you are factually wrong, so much as I'm arguing the syntactic/logical fallacy of saying that 'controversial procedure' inarguably equal to 'surgery'

And as someone who comes from a country where the mulattos are trying to get white, and the mestizos are trying to get tan... I can tell you that it skin-darkening via 'controversial procedures' doesn't mean surgery. The millions of dermclinics here and assorted skin-altering products here attest to that. (The Chameleon probably thrift-lifts in the Philippines).

I sort of imagine that if Downey and Stiller wanted to make the joke even more psychotic is that Lazarus didn't pay to have his skin blackened through dermclinics... he just crawled into a tanning bed and set it to 11.

Last edited:
I remember seeing a video where people were pissed that he was playing a black guy in the movie. But he's playing a guy whose playing a black guy and it's a comedy. How can you be mad or offended at that?

This movie looks exciting.

I just read an interview in the morning paper with Downey. Kirk Lazarus is ostensibly such a totally over the top caricature of intense character actors that he has not only won five Oscars, but one of them was for Best Actress, when he played feminist Gloria Steinem in a biopic.

In order to get the role of Sergeant Osiris, he ends up snatching away a part originally intended for Don Cheadle.

Hilarious.

[youtube]/watch?v=i06yoz3nRNc[/youtube]

Discuss.

Last edited:
I know, I love enormous white boxes as well.

(You just have to put the little code at the end of the url inside of the tags, not the whole address.)

This looks like the most interesting comedy in a while.

Latest posts

Back