Twilight of the Superheroes

Due to our differing opinions, we will now be enemies. I will now pass on some advice: The next time you cross the road, don't bother looking.

I shall not, I'll just change to my metal form and destroy your car.

You also assumed that I think House of M is a good crossover, I do not.

You make valid points, ones which I will have to spend some time to wonder how I'm going to refute them.

Bass said:
Scarlet Witch is though, isn't she? Oh, no she isn't. She was a background character until she got Bendised. This is saying, "Oh the story's not good because I don't know the main character outside of this story well enough". Constantine was a prime mover in the story, and not liking it because you've not really heard of him before is quite pointless. (Looks at Infinite Crisis which is loaded with B-listers it seems.)
You make an awesome point, though I'm not sure if Houde was saying he didn't really know the Constantine character well, so much as he was saying that the Constantine character doesn't seem so 'important' to the universe for Moore to give him the role he gets in this story.

Not to say that I actually agree with that kind of point, either, but I'm just saying. I think it's entirely appropriate that Constantine does have this role, because I've always felt that he's both an outsider and an insider to the DC universe. In the outsider sense, he has that Phil Sheldon-esque function of being able to diagnose the state of things in the weird and wacky universe of DC. In the insider sense, he has the knowledge and power to really affect things should he think things may not be turning out for the best.

Upon reading it again, the whole ending rubbed me wrong.

He created this story for the sole purpose of making comic book stories into legends, because all legends have an ending.

Then he has Constatine stop everything from happening in the first place, so they never get their ending anyway.

I don't know, I've always been against stories that have the ending of, 'it never happened'.

That annoys me.

Ultimate Houde said:
Upon reading it again, the whole ending rubbed me wrong.

He created this story for the sole purpose of making comic book stories into legends, because all legends have an ending.

Then he has Constatine stop everything from happening in the first place, so they never get their ending anyway.

I don't know, I've always been against stories that have the ending of, 'it never happened'.

That annoys me.

That's a fair point actually - but if you remember, Alan Moore knows that in continuity you can't do the ending and have it be canon because it will damage continuity. If Earth X was canon well - Grant Morrison couldn't have done his New X-Men run. Moore's point was to create an ending and then say, "It MAY happen" and by making it powerful, a glimpse, the world of Twilight can be hinted towards as time goes on. If the 'threat of Twilight' exists, then the characters DO have an ending and the question is, "Will they avoid it? Or will they fall to it?" We get the feeling that indeed, Constantine may have fixed it, on the other hand, we don't know if what he's done is enough.

But you make a fair point.

Plus, my car is made of anti-metal and will destroy you.

Ultimate Houde said:
You also assumed that I think House of M is a good crossover, I do not.

Are you sure? Because I recall this:

Ultimate Houde said:
God, isn't House of M better than sex? I wouldn't know but I'm guessing it is.

Telling isn't it?

Ah, Houdey, see how you fall into my trap? I'm Loki to your Thor.

Thee Great One said:
I have never read any of Moore's work before.

Some things of Alan Moore I liked a lot (in no real order): V for Vendetta, Miracleman (which you'll have to download from somewhere - but it is phenomenal), Watchmen, Tom Strong, Promethea, Top 10, and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. You should probably give at least one of 'em a try. Miracleman is free if you have broadband and download it and is brilliant (PM for details).

Moore's first run on League was excellent, then second, well, Hyde *** raping Invisible Man, then feeding his carcass to Nemo.

Well, Nuff said.

Oh, Anti metal car?

Well then.....I remember this post back before I actually joined up.

Bass said:
I love Bendis, some days, I simply want to take his bald head, and rub it all over my nipples, and when I say ALL OVER, I mean ALL OVER. God Bendis, take me now.

So, who's Loki now?

HOUDE SMASH!

I feel we must stop our war, Houde. For while we are well-matched and our conflicts would create stories that would be spoken for millennia, our powers may also inadvertantly rip apart the fabric of reality.

Bass said:
I feel we must stop our war, Houde. For while we are well-matched and our conflicts would create stories that would be spoken for millennia, our powers may also inadvertantly rip apart the fabric of reality.

Aw, nuts. Just when it was getting good.

Bass said:

Fine

Just say Uncle, and it's over.

Here's what I'm going to do when I use my Martian shapeshifting abilities to replace Dan Didio...

I'm going to go up, personally, to Alan Moore, and give him complete creative control of everything he's created in America's Best Comics, DC Comics, and Vertigo. I'm not saying his little stints on series, but rather the big guns, such as Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and... well... all of the ABC stuff. Tell him that if he ever wants any project to happen with any of them in regards to merchandising, that that would be awesome, but he won't be forced into anything he doesn't want to do...

I would, at that point, get on my knees and beg and plead for him to come back to DC to write whatever the hell he wants... but especially to rework 'Twilight of the Gods' to be the Kingdom Come of the next generation... to make it a giant epic masterpeice, and make it wonderful and good (but certain elements would probably have to be changed, particularly since some of these ideas were raped in the bumhole and then used by mid-nineties DC Comics, like Rip Hunter). I would challenge him to use it to really solidify a link between some of the more Vertigooey characters into continuity, like involve the Endless to some degree, and/or swamp thing.

Then I'd put him on Hellblazer, rename it Constantine, and have him make one of his greatest creations great again (nobody writes Constantine better than moore, Gaiman comes close though)...

If that didn't work I'd offer to leave my position and enstate him as High Lord and Master of DC comics...

Because Alan Moore is God. (i mean, look at him!)

bio_moore.jpg

Thats no Santa, friend.

Doesn't it look like he could just kill anyone by thinking it? I mean, come on!

Dr.Strangefate said:
bio_moore.jpg

Thats no Santa, friend.

Change the hair colour, maybe wash it while you're there, and put him in a red suit.

Dr.Strangefate said:
bio_moore.jpg

Thats no Santa, friend.

He looks more like a gaunt version of Charlie Manson. Like he could kill someone by brainwashing his overzealous fans to do it for him through his comics or something.

Last edited:
Dr.Strangefate said:
Here's what I'm going to do when I use my Martian shapeshifting abilities to replace Dan Didio...

Shapeshift higher. Dan Didio I doubt has enough authority to do... well anything of what you suggest. :D

Dr.Strangefate said:
Then I'd put him on Hellblazer, rename it Constantine, and have him make one of his greatest creations great again (nobody writes Constantine better than moore, Gaiman comes close though)...

What about Brian Azzarello's story arcs? Even Moore said that they were absolutely spot on. I liked 'em (but then... I've not read Moore's Constantine... one day though... I like those dots... dot dot dot...)

Dr.Strangefate said:
bio_moore.jpg

Thats no Santa, friend.

Writers always look different than I imagine. I thought Moore would look like Allan Quatermain.

Bass said:
Shapeshift higher. Dan Didio I doubt has enough authority to do... well anything of what you suggest. :D

What If I turned into Optimus Prime AND Jesus at the SAME TIME!!!! :D

(that would be so freaking awesome)

Bass said:
What about Brian Azzarello's story arcs? Even Moore said that they were absolutely spot on. I liked 'em (but then... I've not read Moore's Constantine... one day though... I like those dots... dot dot dot...)

I'm just saying that the recent stuff isn't good, and that Moore wrote one hell of a John Constantine.

Dangerous Habits was awesome.

Latest posts

Back