Uff #21 Discussion (spoilers)

this was a freaking sweet issue...all the praise that everyone's posting...i agree with and more...the art is mouth watering and the writing is perfectly on. i like the change in reed...getting wrapped up in his mission/research...i love the depth that these characters are getting

This rocked.

Everything was fun and disturbing, especially the maggot thing. Also, I was thinking, "y'know, if they did do a crossover 'tween UU and 616, I'd hope it was really innocuous and subtle, just like the two Reeds can talk to each other. Just a nice little touch, not a huge mega-event." But of course, it was not the 616 universe, but the Gotcha Universe.

Also, in Ultimate E's face. All this time he's been going, "they're gonna meet the 616 F4! It's going to rock" while all along, it was obvious such a thing was never going to happen. Despite the obviousness, he couldn't handle it, and even know continues the dream that this is 616 but just in bad shape. Poor E. I just hope hE doesn't joke on all that humble pie with steamed crow he's eating because he was so unbelievably wrong.

Just like Ice and the Ultimate Mad Thinker ordeal.

Bass said:
Also, in Ultimate E's face. All this time he's been going, "they're gonna meet the 616 F4! It's going to rock" while all along, it was obvious such a thing was never going to happen. Despite the obviousness, he couldn't handle it, and even know continues the dream that this is 616 but just in bad shape. Poor E. I just hope hE doesn't joke on all that humble pie with steamed crow he's eating because he was so unbelievably wrong.

:oops:

:lol:

All right kids. I was probably the forerunner in the Anti-616 Crossover group. But something is still puzzeling me. The Hologram was pretty detailed about his world and it matched up pretty good with 616 Reed. So where'd Zombie Reed get the information? Was Ultimate Reed tricked into going to that dimension or did he miscalculate somehow and that's not the Reed he was talking too?

Cmon Post-Galactus World

I want to be friends with Reed.
I want to date Sue Storm.
I want to be Johnny.
I want to try going a round with The Thing.

This is the FF,at their best.Millar says this is his last company book for a while,well the guy sure knows how to go out with a bang.

And Land......dude!Nailed!Beyond perfection.

10/10

And that last line..... :lol:

MWoF - Maybe he knew all of that information because that is the way his world was before whatever turned them to zombies happened. Also, I don't think that he put in the wrong coordinates or something because Zombie Reed's response fits in well for him being tricked.

Johnny Bravo said:
I want to be friends with Reed.

ok

I want to date Sue Storm.

Who doesn't?

I want to be Johnny.

Wait a second, you want to BE Johnny but want to date Sue? Then she'd be your sister! The FF aren't from the hills of Kentucky!

I want to try going a round with The Thing.

Dude, he'd kill you. He's a huge rock man capable of lifting tons! A friggin' truck hit him in the first arc and it didn't even phase him. Plus he knocked out a T-Rex!

Good luck with all that though.

DIrishB said:
Good luck with all that though.

We've got ourselves a comedian do we?Just my reactions to the way Millar wrote the characters..... :D

And hey,if Wanda and Pietro can get away with it........ :wink:

Welcome BAMjoe.

But wait.... I thought that WAS 616 Reed. :? You guys are confusing me! All right, who was that in the holo, and WHERE is Reed now?

Spade said:
i havnt rad the issue yet but im wonderin wat was in the big cacoon thing ben was pointing at?

Supposedly a giant maggot only he could see. A buncha people were poking at it with big sticks. I laughed my *** off at that part despite the fact that (to me, at least,) it made no sense. :lol:

I've had a lot UFF today. I bought the N-Zone trade and the Think Tank issues to catch up on all the stuff that I missed.

And of course, I got #21. This issue was just....... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: This and the Ultimates are the only comics that I've read that have actually made me extremely angry that I have to wait a month to read the next issue. Every moment was just incredible.

The ending didn't totally surprise me. I've said 2 or 3 times that I thought this was what's gonna happen: They make us think Reed's going to the 616 and when he gets there he learns there something horrible going on. Now there are so many possibilities. One thing I was thinking was what if this is one of those alternate 616 futures. Maybe those zombie UFFers were clones......or something. Maybe they've ravaged the 616 world and the FF are the last people left to stop them and they've called in Ultimate Reed to help out. It would be interesting to see the UFF react to this sort of demonstation of how much power they actually possess and what could happen if they ever used it to harm people.

I response to the questions of whether or not that was 616 Reed: I don't think it was. Him having the same life as the 616 Reed that we know is just a coincidence to mess with the readers.

UltimateE said:
There was a short story that came out years ago that dealt with someone who was time traveling and they accidently stepped on a butterfly after being warned that even a minor change such as moving a blade of grass or something would change the world, and after s/he came back the president was different and the English language was all mangled...what was the name of that story and wo wrote it?

The story you are referring to is called "The Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury. It is about a business that allows people to go back in time and hunt a dinosaur that is about to die of natural death. They are to stay on a road that was set there so it won't effect anything (and thus mess the future). One hunter gets scared and runs off the road, stepping on a butterfly thus altering the future. They are making a movine about it that was supposed to come out this year. ( I can't wait.)

I need to go read this issue :(

Rawb said:
The story you are referring to is called "The Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury. It is about a business that allows people to go back in time and hunt a dinosaur that is about to die of natural death. They are to stay on a road that was set there so it won't effect anything (and thus mess the future). One hunter gets scared and runs off the road, stepping on a butterfly thus altering the future. They are making a movine about it that was supposed to come out this year. ( I can't wait.)

I need to go read this issue :(
It's a novel first, right? I thought the movie looked really cheesey but I was totally looking forward to it. I loved the whole concept. When is it coming out?

Cool - thanks for that info. 8)

If I remember correctly it was just a short story - not a novel.

A movie based on that could be really good. I'd go see it.

But I digress - back to the goodness that is UFF #21.

The issue in question was possibly one of the best pranks played on comic fans since the Secret Wars II was called a event that would change the Marvel Universe. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at that last line. Miller has continued to prove that he is probably one of the best writers in comics today, perhaps a bit behind Robert Kickman, but I'm biased there.

As for the art: I actually didn't much care for it. I think it's the "slickness" of it that bothers me. It looks beautiful, don't get me wrong, but there just seems to be something missing from it, although I'm at a lost to say what that thing might be. It bothers me, though.

As for speculation as to what the "zombie" FF are, well, I'm content to wait and see what Miller has come up with. I'm sure it'll be a lovely little twisted thing that only a guy who'd throw scotch into his face in an effort to impress a woman would come up with (as per a story told to me by my local comic store owner) - messed up and wild.

You've got to give the guy credit, he managed to get people buzzing and excited (angry?) by the simple act of titling a 3 issue arc "Crossover". The man is a genius.

Latest posts

Back