UFF and continuity?

Ricky

So this is me again, still rambling about the same topic:
Ultimate FF and Continuity:

You probably know the FF have been refered to at least a dozen times throughout Ultimates and Ultimate Spiderman (not Ultimate X-Men, though).
Even worse, General Ross seem to be alive in current Ultimate FF timeline, although he died years ago back in Ultimate X-Men #11 (which was long before the founding of the Ultimates around U X-Men #18 ).
So, it was generally assumed that the current U FF are actually set in the past, about a year before the accidantial genesis of Ultimate Spiderman.

However, in Ultimate FF # 5, Dr. Storm calls out to Reed and the rest "leave it to the Ultimates" when they charge into battle against moleman's cration.
This would imply, that the FF were founded AFTER the Ultimates, which were founded AFTER General Ross dies. I don't care about side remarks about the FF in other books (The are mentioned by name in Ultimates #2, for example), but having a character run around alive way after he died is something I won't accept!
(especially since I kept smiling during U FF #1&2, telling myself "you're a dead men, Ross, you're dead already..." ;))

I'm going to see if they address this in #6; maybe we are still in a flashback scene. Although going from the beginning of #7 it doesn't look like it...

We're not... It said Nevada Today for a reason, bub! :) Seriously, for me, there isn't a whole lot up with continuity.

Goodwill said:
We're not... It said Nevada Today for a reason, bub! :) Seriously, for me, there isn't a whole lot up with continuity.

Actually this is a major continuity error if we aren't in the past with this book. Not only Doom and the FF have been referenced more than once in the books, but Doom was indirectly involved in the Geldoff arc.

I think it's pretty clear that UFF takes place in the past. As for that Ultimates reference in issue 5, I've actually heard that it was a mistake and that it was actually supposed to say "Let the Defenders handle it!" ...which I think would've been really rad.

Doom was never mentioned by name... Just Latveria! How many times do I have to explain it! Also, the Ultimates were around when that shit in NYC was happening... But the US Army and the Fantastic Four covered it before they arrived. I don't see this as a problem.

See the thread that I just posted in...

Goodwill said:
The Ultimates were around when that shit in NYC was happening... But the US Army and the Fantastic Four covered it before they arrived.

But...they weren't. UFF takes place before the Ultimates were founded. As evidenced by the fact that General Thunderbolt Ross is in it. Considering the fact that he died way back in UXM #11. And his successor was Nick Fury. Who then started the Ultimates.

2 things

1] Dr. Doom has been seen already in the ultimate universe [a painting on the wall of the latvertian embassy] during Ultimate Marvel Team-Up # 14 [which I consider continuity]
2] As I stated in another thread, I beleive that there are 2 teams called the Ultimates, the second one being the Ultimates we are familiar with.

2] As I stated in another thread, I beleive that there are 2 teams called the Ultimates, the second one being the Ultimates we are familiar with.

I know I've heard this in another thread also, but can you remind me again of where it is you get your evidence from? Not that I doubt you, it's just that I need to check for myself. OCD thing.

Yeah, I've heard of the two Ultimates teams thing before...but did that come from a credible scource? I don't really buy it. It seems to me that the Defenders thing is more likely.

I still haven't read UFF (don't kick me, please) but, Goodwill, your explanation still doesn't explain the continuity errors. The Fantastic Four were mentioned in The Ultimates #2, therefor establishing them as having been formed before The Ultimates were officially formed at the end of #3. Nick fury formed The Ultimates as the Director of SHIELD, but he wasn't in this position until AFTER the death of General Ross. So Ross being alive during UFF, and Nick Fury (director of SHIELD) having already formed The Ultimates after successing the recently deceased General Ross who is still alive, meaning that Fury can't have formed The Ultimates because he hasn't been appointed head of SHIELD yet, but clearly he has because The Ultimates are around, so General Ross is dead but he isn't cus he's still alive... Yup, continuity errors all cleared up.
The only thing I can think of that would explain it, as I've posted in another thread, is that the teleportation accident happened before the Weapon X arc in UXM, in which Ross died. Since I've been told that Ross doesn't appear after the dreaded "Nevada Today" caption, maybe the Four and Van Damme were missing for several weeks/months in the real world, but only seemed like a short amount of time to them (as was mentioned in the non-continuity Ultimate Team-Up #9). They could have then returned to the real world around about the time that The Ultimates were being formed. Pfft...not a perfect theory, but...
In #7 of UFF anyway, Reed mentions that the teleportation accident happened 2 months prior. Perhaps they were gone for the better part of those 2 months.
I have too much crap in my head, my posts always end up waaaaay too long.

Goodwill, your explanation still doesn't explain the continuity errors. The Fantastic Four were mentioned in The Ultimates #2, therefor establishing them as having been formed before The Ultimates were officially formed at the end of #3. Nick fury formed The Ultimates as the Director of SHIELD, but he wasn't in this position until AFTER the death of General Ross. So Ross being alive during UFF, and Nick Fury (director of SHIELD) having already formed The Ultimates after successing the recently deceased General Ross who is still alive, meaning that Fury can't have formed The Ultimates because he hasn't been appointed head of SHIELD yet, but clearly he has because The Ultimates are around, so General Ross is dead but he isn't cus he's still alive

When UFF says "Nevada today" don't take it as literally "today" as in after Ultimates vol. 1 just because UFF debuted after Ultimates vol. 1 was finished and you can fit it in.

The only thing I can think of that would explain it, as I've posted in another thread, is that the teleportation accident happened before the Weapon X arc in UXM, in which Ross died.

That's what Goodwill is saying. Forget about Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #9, it's not in continuity. Goodwill is saying that there's nothing in any book saying that the UFF aren't twenty-somethings and that the accident literally took place after Ultimates.

In #7 of UFF anyway, Reed mentions that the teleportation accident happened 2 months prior. Perhaps they were gone for the better part of those 2 months.

And maybe even though we're 2 months past the accident in UFF we're still looking at past events, events that happened before the Ultimates were officially formed. I don't necessarily completely agree with what Goodwill is saying, but it makes sense and is worth considering, at the very least.

I first learned of a possible 2nd team of Ultimates in a Wizard publication: "Ultimate Marvel Spectacular" but it was only stated as a rumor.

I like the defenders idea better though, hopefully Ultimates gets changed to Defenders for when the trade comes.

UltimateE, that's pretty much what I was trying to say, man! And if that's what Goodwill was saying as well, then I just wasted a small portion of my life typing all of that...ah well...

I'll need to pick up the trade.

UltimateE, that's pretty much what I was trying to say, man! And if that's what Goodwill was saying as well, then I just wasted a small portion of my life typing all of that...ah well...

:wink: :D

The only thing that scotches that is that part where Doctor Storm tells Reed, Ben and Johnny to let the Ultiamtes handle it. What on earth is Millar trying to do? Leave that out and continuity works just fine, it doesn't need any special project to fix it.

Another possible hole in this theory is that apparently Latveria isn't established yet, even though it has been referenced in the past in Ult. Spidey and I think Team-Up.

Well, may I please know what the reference was to the Fantastic Four in Ultimates #2?

Also, we have yet to find out if Doom refers to himself as Doom. The Golog deal could be easily dismissed when we find out the origin of that name. Also, Golog, who is he and do you think he is going to show up in this arc?

With Latveria... Who the hell knows if that's what Doom is doing? That place was called the Free Zone... And Doom should be focusing on Wallachia or whatever, because that's where his decendants lived.

Also, we have yet to find out if Doom refers to himself as Doom. The Golog deal could be easily dismissed when we find out the origin of that name. Also, Golog, who is he and do you think he is going to show up in this arc?

In #7 when Van Damme's father(?) is explaining his ancestory, saying the reason they changed their name over time was to persecution. Victor pissed of the U.S. Army and destroyed gov't propery. I'd say that's reason enough to change your name.

Latest posts

Back