UIM vs. UTMU #4-5

jtg3885

Banned
With all the new information being released about Iron Man through the new series... does this mean that UTMU #4 and 5 are now non-canon, removing Nick Fury's covert attempt to take the Iron Man armor from the universe?

not necessarily, the info on Tonys background appears to be different (in UMTU #4-5 his background was as a boy genius who had a couple brothers and sisters, and his mother was alive and apparently a school teacher, apparently Tony also attended university with Reed Richards?) from the UIM series, but one of three things could happen:

1.) Card will ignore UMTU #4-5 and go with his own story, screwing up the Ultimate continuity even more.

2.) He'll have Tony's dad remarry, and this woman will have a couple kids with his dad, thereby making UMTU's origin valid.

3.) The origin told in UMTU was a ruse used by Tony for public perception. Maybe he doesn't want people to know his origin so made up this lame story?

I have a feeling that choice #1 is going to be what happens (unfortunately).

He kept the mother's name, so unless Papa Stark remarries a woman with the same name... which is just kinda creepy... also, just with what we've seen so far, if any romance was going to happen, I think we'd see Howard and the scientist woman who came with him to continue work on the bioarmor.

i posted this a while back in the UIM #1 thread...this is what peter says in UMTU about Tony for those that have not read the Team Up.

In the beginning it starts out with peter giving a speech and saying this about Tony "young Tony stark grew up in Boston; his mother Maria. A simple school teacher. (a pic of Tony black haired, three blond haired kids, and a blond haired adult) A science whiz kid all through his childhood, he amassed a small fortune appearing on popular game shows.......in 1981 he attended Harvard as a freshmen across the hall form Reed Richards..."

I've kind of decided to view the UMTU series as non-canonical the moment a mini-series starts with a character that had been used. It seems that during the course of writing those issues Bendis simply wrote down whatever had either come to his mind, what had been playing on the television right then, or an examination of whatever his baby had just upchucked on his shirt. Since there wasn't much of an attempt to flesh these back stories out, I just treat them as window dressing, ultimately irrelavent, especially once a mini-series appears that changes the course of an origin or makes it entirely different. For example, I could be wrong here, but I don't believe it has ever been suggested that Tony Stark's genuis was due to anything other then being a very bright guy. Card is suggesting that the man's brain is actually spread out over the man's entire body, thus also alluding to the idea that he uses the excess material much more efficently then eveyone else. A nifty idea, I think.

Hell, the only thing I'm overly curious about is why Tony is no longer blue. Everything else doesn't matter, insofar as I'm concerned.

Bendis is horrible with regards to continuity, he should stick to his creater owned stuff, or do me a favor and go work for DC (which I don't buy).

Here we are years later still moaning about this mess. Look what's happening in Avengers and HOM.......bleh!

ngnot said:
Bendis is horrible with regards to continuity, he should stick to his creater owned stuff, or do me a favor and go work for DC (which I don't buy).

Here we are years later still moaning about this mess. Look what's happening in Avengers and HOM.......bleh!

Bendis had first dibs on Ultimate Iron Man if anyone's not following continuity it's Card.

Bendis had first dibs on all kinds of Ult. continuity with UMTU, but did he care...no. Now it just a matter of trying to explain away or just plain ignoring that series all together.

He could have done alot of universe building with UMTU, IMO he failed misrabley or more likley didn't even try.

I think dialog is his strong point, not universe building. Which is why I think he is better suited to his creater owned stuff.

Bendis does more harm than good where continuity is concerned.

BTW I started buying the DD trades and quit by the eighth one because I was bored to tears. Does 9 suddenly get alot better, if some one tells me it does I might give it another chance.

Does that mean it gets better?
Is the eighth volume just a little snoozer before the action really kicks off in 9?
I was really hoping the story would go somewhere, but I was losing patience by 8, I started reading it and literaly gave up stuffing my whole DD run in my misc. comics box (comics I no longer pursue).

All that boring watercolor Echo stuff was not my cup of tea, and in the previous 7 volumes all that sticks out in my mind is the fight with the Owl and the death of Karen Page. Good stuff but not enough for 7 TPBs.

If I didn't care for that, will 9 onwards change my opinion?

I love DD as character (mostly thanks to Miller) and would like to follow his exploits, however the 9th volume would have to show significant improvement (especially with regards to pacing) in order for me to enjoy it.

I'm not saying it's bad, just not my thing. Knowing my fellings on 1-8 should I continue with 9 onwards or is it much the same as the previous volumes?

Way off topic.....sorry :oops:

ngnot said:
Bendis is horrible with regards to continuity

Generally I might be inclined to agree with this, but....

TheManWithoutFear said:
Bendis had first dibs on Ultimate Iron Man if anyone's not following continuity it's Card.

...great point. Which is not to say he could have planned it better for the future, but that has nothing to do with the current continuity conflicts.

Am I the only one who is very worried by the cover of UIM #3 and #4 which show a very young Tony Stark wielding Iron Man's blaster?

Didn't really give it any thought, to be honest... It's fitting, though, right? His father wanted to help the military.

jtg3885 said:
Am I the only one who is very worried by the cover of UIM #3 and #4 which show a very young Tony Stark wielding Iron Man's blaster?

Not really, I expect we'll see Tony starting to build the armor probably next issue, so I dont really see this as a problem. As far as I know, in UMTU #4-5 Tony creates a pulse weapon during his imprisonment based on his Iron Man designs, so its very likely the armor was already in existence at this point. We'll see the end of this month when #3 ships.

ngnot said:
Does that mean it gets better?
Is the eighth volume just a little snoozer before the action really kicks off in 9?

All that boring watercolor Echo stuff was not my cup of tea, and in the previous 7 volumes all that sticks out in my mind is the fight with the Owl and the death of Karen Page. Good stuff but not enough for 7 TPBs.

If I didn't care for that, will 9 onwards change my opinion?

Echo Quest was bollocks,just a filler arc so Bendis could take a break.I don't know the book by trades,but if #9 is King Of Hells Kitchen the answer is absolutely.The Widow arc is alright,but ultimately forgettable.The payout arrives in the final part.Golden Age is excellent,as is Decalogue.

Latest posts

Back