Ultimate... 616.. WHAT????? (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Bass said:
According to some, the number 616 comes from the fact that Fantastic Four #1 was released June, 1961 - 61/6.
I believe that's the "real world" explanation of why the mainstream Marvel Universe is called 616.

If I'm not mistaken, the in-story reason is simply becuse 616 happens to be the number assigned to the specific reality which Uatu the Watcher observes, in their central records. (Each Watcher is designated a particular universe or plane of reality to monitor, I think...)

Perhaps an Exiles or What If? fan could clarify this matter further... :?

Last edited:
compound said:
I believe that's the "real world" explanation of why the mainstream Marvel Universe is called 616.

If I'm not mistaken, the in-story reason is simply becuse 616 happens to be the number assigned to the specific reality which Uatu the Watcher observes, in their central records. (Each Watcher is designated a particular universe or plane of reality to monitor, I think...)

Perhaps an Exiles or What If? fan could clarify this matter further... :?
Its the Captain Britain corp that does the numbers I believe. Maybe they use the same system?

Caduceus said:
Its the Captain Britain corp that does the numbers I believe. Maybe they use the same system?
Yes, it was one of the issues written by Alan Moore of the Captain Britain series where this earth was numbered 616.

thee great one said:
He also was told that same report in the Double Trouble arc. But when he gives the report it was a totally different teacher than the one who assign it to him. I don't think that has to do with anything but it was a thought.
Actualy, thee great one, now that you mention THAT, it makes it even MORE difficult to write the Super Special as out of continuity. Unless of course, that means accepting that the report was never concluded on-panel.

As for 616, the basical word on that is no matter WHAT reason Moore had (even though I agree with the Jun '61 FF date theory), the number 616 is completely ARBITRARY within the Marvel Multiverse, and that it is meant to suggest that the main Marvel continuity we read is no more important than any other parallel universe, as opposed to the Earth-1, Earth-Prime and Earth-3 of pre-Crisis DC.

It has to be the UMTU FF. It technically is a "familiar" universe, since it's been used before in the UMTU. It could also be reffering to it's resembelance to 616. Familiar but not exactly. Cross-over, I'm sure, will be Millar's responce to all the errors regarding the FF in the UU. He'll explain why in the Iron-Man team Up, it was reference that Reed and Tony went to college together before Ultimate Reed was born, it might explain the Von Doom reference in the Iron-man team-up, why what appears to be 616 Doom being the leader of Latveria, the Reed reference by Peter and Eddie's dad's in Peter's flashback in the Venom arc, the conversatiuon between Fury and Stark in the Ultimates about the FF, and of course the entire Super Special meeting. (Despite the FFs age, it couldn't have happened in regular continuity because Spidey and Torch met up for the first time in the SS. . .yet they did the exact same thing in USM. Which really happened?) I persoanlly don't think they're going to explain UMTU 9. . .it's too hokey to have happened in any universe. It'll just remain out of continuity. It's possible a time discrepency created the UMTU tangant universe and UMTU Reed is trying to correct it with Ultimate Reed. It would explain both the parallel universe and the time travel being used by Millar.

Has anybody considered the possibility that the UFF could be meeting up with their "real world" counter-parts -- the actors who are playing them in the FF movie?!

That is, Ultimate Reed finds a rift into 'our' reality -- the flesh-and-blood material world, in which the Fantastic Four are comic characters owned by Marvel.

They meet with Mark Millar, to convince him to 'write them back' into the Ultimate reality.

I know it sounds a little daft, but it's not without precedent -- Millar's mentor, friend (and reputed ex-lover) Grant Morrison used the same technique in his classic Animal Man.

Plus, it would still be in keeping with the goofier Silver Age treatment of the Fantastic Four characters, where you'd have Doom walking into Jack Kirby and Stan Lee's office, to complain about being killed off. It's not as outrageous an idea as it seems, really.

compound said:
Has anybody considered the possibility that the UFF could be meeting up with their "real world" counter-parts -- the actors who are playing them in the FF movie?!

That is, Ultimate Reed finds a rift into 'our' reality -- the flesh-and-blood material world, in which the Fantastic Four are comic characters owned by Marvel.

They meet with Mark Millar, to convince him to 'write them back' into the Ultimate reality.

I know it sounds a little daft, but it's not without precedent -- Millar's mentor, friend (and reputed ex-lover) Grant Morrison used the same technique in his classic Animal Man.

Plus, it would still be in keeping with the goofier Silver Age treatment of the Fantastic Four characters, where you'd have Doom walking into Jack Kirby and Stan Lee's office, to complain about being killed off. It's not as outrageous an idea as it seems, really.

I might burn all my comics and close down this site if that happened.

Besides, something close to that already happened in USM "Hollywood".

Yes, that was a horrible plug for Spider-Man 2, let me tell you... I'm glad Gwen found out Peter was Spider-Man in that arc, or it would've been all for nothing. Anyway, I'm with E on this one guys, no actors. ;)

Goodwill said:
Yes, that was a horrible plug for Spider-Man 2, let me tell you... I'm glad Gwen found out Peter was Spider-Man in that arc, or it would've been all for nothing. Anyway, I'm with E on this one guys, no actors. ;)

I'm gonna disagree. I thought the arc was pretty cool and did wonders for my opinion on Doc Ock. The man is truely one of Pete's greatest adversaries.

Goodwill said:
I'm glad Gwen found out Peter was Spider-Man in that arc, or it would've been all for nothing.

Off topic, but I think that was the last really good USM arc. All downhill from there.

I agree with E, Hollywood was the last good USM arc. I also agree that it would be. . .rather blah to have the FF meet the 'real' world. But, no, I didn't mean that the UFF would cease to exist, but rather the UMTU FF would cease to exist. The two Reeds would fix the error that may have caused the FF to appear years prior to when they were supposed to, causing the tangent universe, thus erasing all the previous FF mentions prior to the UFF's appearance. Technically, all the references are still in continuity in the erased tangent universe. But, hey, I may be completely off, who knows?

Lynx said:
I agree with E, Hollywood was the last good USM arc. I also agree that it would be. . .rather blah to have the FF meet the 'real' world. But, no, I didn't mean that the UFF would cease to exist, but rather the UMTU FF would cease to exist. The two Reeds would fix the error that may have caused the FF to appear years prior to when they were supposed to, causing the tangent universe, thus erasing all the previous FF mentions prior to the UFF's appearance. Technically, all the references are still in continuity in the erased tangent universe. But, hey, I may be completely off, who knows?
Not bad! That sounds really good. :wink:

Latest posts

Back