Ultimate Adventures Vol. 1: One Tin Soldier Discussion (Spoilers)

Since this came out today, could a mod turn this into a discussion thread? I give permission.

As far as this goes. My LCS is always good with my shipments but for the first time they let me down. Dave, my LCS owner, told me that the sales for the individual issues were so bad that he just didn't order the trade :( He put the order in so I'll be getting this next week.

I have it and really like it. I think Hawk-Owl, despite his obvious influence, is a great character, and Woody's cool too. The Villain is hilarious, the ultimate versions of "Alfred" and "Kato" are great too.

Oh, and Hawk-Owl fights Cap. Awwright.

I wanna pick up this trade too! Being the Ultimate TPB completist that I am, I mean i made my mistakes by trading issues 1-20 of Ult X-Men and 1-34 of Ult Spiderman for the issues just in trades! :arrgh:

But hey Im loving the Ult Universe and anything Ultimate is a must have!

Well, I read it a bit ago, and dispite the fact that everything in it made me cringe alittle, I enjoyed it. It was goofy fun. I didn't like The Principals paddle though. Where the hell did that thing come from?

Baxter said:
I didn't like The Principals paddle though. Where the hell did that thing come from?
From the very weird mind of Ron Zimmerman. If you've read his work on Spider-Man: Get Kraven, or seen the episodes he's worked on on Action (the short-lived Hollywood comedy starring Jay Mohr), then you know that he's ALWAYS nuts.

And this is also just par for the course for an artist like Duncan Fegredo who's done bizarre work for Peter Milligan and Kevin Smith.

Finally read my copy last night. It was pretty good. The art was not bad, and the writing was cool.

Though, I do wonder, with the Ultimates being there, didn't this book come out before the Ultimates series started? So when the Ultimates happened, the first arc happens before the Ultimate Adventures, right?

And by the way, the fight between Captain America and Hawk-Owl was awesome. I say Hawk-Owl definetly had the upper-hand.

I got a copy and I'm almost done reading it. Sometimes I wish the Tpb's would have each issue's previously section included and also indicate when an issue is over, because I get confused by a lot of the stories and the Previously page usually helps.

I read this in singles awhile back. I enjoyed the series and the artwork was just fine. I hope to see more of Hawk-Owl and Woody. I thought i was an overly fun take on Batman. Plus Woody is cooler than Robin.

Ultxon said:
Plus Woody is cooler than Robin.

And there were no overt sexual references between Hawk-Owl and Woody.

icemastertron said:
Though, I do wonder, with the Ultimates being there, didn't this book come out before the Ultimates series started? So when the Ultimates happened, the first arc happens before the Ultimate Adventures, right?

This was delayed to the point that it made Hitch jealous.

Patriot said:
This was delayed to the point that it made Hitch jealous.

Heh. True though. Particularly the final issue.

about time...

Ok, finally got this and I have to say it's one of the best Ultimate reads I've ever had the plessure of enjoying. I think Zimmerman was really well briefed on what was going on in the ultimate universe and handled it extremely well (better than some of the writers now). When I've been on and on about the question of what Fury/SHIELD does with vigilantes, not one person referred to this book. The answers right in there when Captain goes recruiting. Where's all you Captain haters now? He's the biggest jackass in this one (again, not likeing the direction of the character). As far as the traitor and Thor's attitude towards his teammates, I believe there were tons of clues. At least if you thought it was Jan this probably could've helped your cause out a bit. To the characters and main story themselves...

Hawk-Owl and Woody are great but the costumes and there reasons for being are waaaay Batmanesque. Not saying it's a bad thing, it was totally done right in this story. The Principal was lame but he was just a plot device. Supporting cast was all solid Toliver was badass. A lot of good humor and a good read that wasn't filled with good dialogue and art. Definitely not a waste of money and everyone should read it.

P.S. Hawk-Owl's role with SHIELD should be like what Daredevil does.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Hawk-Owl and Woody are great but the costumes and there reasons for being are waaaay Batmanesque. Not saying it's a bad thing, it was totally done right in this story.
From what I heard, the writer had a made a bet that he could make fun of Batman (or something like that) in a few issues. Somewhere along of those lines.

You know, I really liked it. I've got all the individual issues, and I love all of the covers (except the one of Woody packing a cucumber down his shorts), and especially the titles, in particular:

Orangutans are skeptical of changes in their cages.

Anywho, the interior artwork is pretty good, although marred by sloppy inkwork for the first few issues and terrible haircuts for Jack and Hank. Everything that is supposed to be funny, is, except the Principal. I love the Ultimates cameos, especially Iron Man, and Jacks comment to Wasp and Thor 'You two are actually pretty cool'. But I'm very fond of HawkOwl, and would really love to see him in another mini, or on a date, or as a cameo in another Ultimate title.

I just read it and I was pretty impressed. I thought it was way better than it thought it was going to be. I love the interaction in that book. The butler reminded me of Fury a lot. I hope to see him in other books.

Ive only got 1-4 of it so far.. its a real fun read though.. I think im gonna pick up the rest of the series rather than the trade though..

Not really a discussion, but....

I need a little help from someone who actually has the individual issues (and is willing to admit to it in public... :wink: ) I'm writing up summaries of this for the forums at Ultimate-X, and I'm working from the trade. The problem is that the trade treats it like a single story, and I'm doing the summaries by issue.

Could someone please hop on here and give me an idea of where each issue ends? Just the last couple of panels of each should be fine.

Thanks! :D

Last panel of #1: "Hey, God, quit talkin' to him, will'ya?"

#2 ends with a 2-page spread when the kid finds the "The Nest".

Last page of #3: "My name's Captain America. I want to talk to you..."

Last panel of #4: Woody takes out his costume: "Not much choise now, I guess..."

Last page of #5: Jack lying on the ground with a report card on hid chest reading "F".

EDIT: For some extremely odd reason the last page of #4 is without talk bubbles in the trade, although there are a few of them in the issue. Never noticed that before. In the trade the last page of #4 has the kid running in the rain, running upstairs and then going to get his costume, dripping wet. The first page of #5 starts with a panel of Woody's goggles.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
vintsukka said:
Last panel of #1: "Hey, God, quit talkin' to him, will'ya?"

#2 ends with a 2-page spread when the kid finds the "The Nest".

Last page of #3: "My name's Captain America. I want to talk to you..."

Last panel of #4: Woody takes out his costume: "Not much choise now, I guess..."

Last page of #5: Jack lying on the ground with a report card on hid chest reading "F".

EDIT: For some extremely odd reason the last page of #4 is without talk bubbles in the trade, although there are a few of them in the issue. Never noticed that before. In the trade the last page of #4 has the kid running in the rain, running upstairs and then going to get his costume, dripping wet. The first page of #5 starts with a panel of Woody's goggles.

Hope this helps.

Vint's da man!

DIrishB said:
Vint's da man!
I whole-heartedly agree. Thank you, Vintsukka, that was immensely helpful. :D

I was counting pages in the trade, and my page counts came out about where you mentioned, but I really needed someone who had the issues to confirm it all. Thanks for checking for me.

Latest posts

Back