Ultimate Bishop

Russian Tank

Banned
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
89
Location
Ohio
See, I hate Bishop with all of my being. But if it was to be done, anyone have any good ideas how? Please..spare us anything that deals with 5,000 timelines. Pretend Mr. Peabody's dead.
 

The Captain

Banned
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
1,387
Location
In the Coffin of Hildegarde
Bishop will always be a timebased character no matter how he is introduced. He is basically a mutant version of the terminator.....we were supposed to have already had that when cable was around but rob liefeld would never admit that the characters he created were based off movie ideas, (deadpool, cable, boom boom, domino, etc.)

He would probably come from the future obviously(would be weird to see him come from the past, but anything is possible i guess) and warn the x-men of some sort of threat because thats the only way this type of character is relevent. Outside of informing info he would have to change history and form a relationship with one of the characters to really have any longevity in the book. From there, other people from the future would inevitably come back to destroy him. to be continued...
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
Or he could be a teenager with a criminal record like how he was introduced?
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
The Captain said:
you arent saying that cause he is black are you?

WTF? I'm just stating the truth. He was in New Mutants.
 

Russian Tank

Banned
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
89
Location
Ohio
The only thing I'd like to see is the Ultimized version of the "traitor". It'd be interesting to see who and how. Possibly Angel...that evil bastard.
 

compound

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
2,772
Location
Metro Manila, Philippines
ProjectX2 said:
Or he could be a teenager with a criminal record like how he was introduced?
It's not impossible or inconsistent for the same adolescent criminal Bishop to end up declaring himself as a time-jumping would-be savior.

616/Mainstream Cable is a perfect example of how a writer can belatedly graft a time-travel/alternate-universe origin story onto a character who had a completely different gimmick altogether. Cable was just a rogue SHIELD agent with a lot of 'old buddies' when he was first showed up in the Marvel Universe. The Askani-son crap was only introduced much later on.

In the same way, Ultimate Bishop can be adapted or rewritten to more closesly resemble his mainstream counterpart. How exactly? Give me a little time ;)
 

SeAcoW

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
904
Bishop = Thor 2. A guy that thinks that his from the future and has come here to scream up about Apocolypse takin' over earth.
 

compound

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
2,772
Location
Metro Manila, Philippines
SeAcoW said:
Bishop = Thor 2. A guy that thinks that his from the future and has come here to scream up about Apocolypse takin' over earth.
Actually, that's precisely what I'd want to *avoid*, because it feels a lot like an 'easy way out', and frankly, the Ultimate Thor concept was so well-handled the first time around, I don't think it really calls for a repeat performance.

For what it's worth, any Ultimate Bishop story would necessarily involve a UXM-UFF crossover, methinks, because alternate realities are clearly something the Baxter Institute would definitely have a stake in, as an organization. Never mind Reed's personal interest in the subject.
 

IcyFlames

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
119
Location
Boston
I remember hearing this idea from someone else before on another site. Bishop comes to the X-Men claiming to be a time-traveler saving the X-Men from whatever future is coming, but instead is actually just a nutcase.
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
IcyFlames said:
I remember hearing this idea from someone else before on another site. Bishop comes to the X-Men claiming to be a time-traveler saving the X-Men from whatever future is coming, but instead is actually just a nutcase.

Too similar to Thor.
 

compound

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
2,772
Location
Metro Manila, Philippines
Russian Tank said:
See, I hate Bishop with all of my being. But if it was to be done, anyone have any good ideas how?
Ooh... Me! Me! Can I have a go?

Introduced in a 2-part arc titled "Another World Is Possible", Lucas Bishop is a mutant African-American 19-year-old from a poverty-stricken area of nation's capital, where the harshest divisions are based not on species or genetics, but on things like social class, income, what neighborhood you grew up in, and what kind of crowd you run with. Here, mutants are just willful enforcers of the same old prejudices -- and that's only if you have powers that are of some use.

Ironically, Bishop got away with committing multiple felonies during his brief stint as a gangbanger. However, a scholarship and access to a well-stocked library has lead him towards community-based grassroots organizing instead -- as well as the civil disobedience tactics that earned him the criminal record mentioned during "New Mutants".

Bishop uses flashy displays of his energy absorption/redirection powers as a metaphor for his key belief in the 'Pareto Principle' of an 'enlightened elite' (similar to the Nation of Islam's 5% theory) -- i.e. if a critical mass of everyday citizens can direct enough of their energy towards a charismatic, well-intentioned leader figure (such as himself), the sum total of their efforts (and financial contributions) can be re-channeled towards tearing down institutional barriers, thus leading to fair treatment and justice for all.

After politely rejecting offers to join both Professor Xavier and Emma Frost's respective schools, Bishop has instead opted to develop his own cult of personality, using his considerbale street-level media connections, and viral marketing techniques (flyers, grafitti, street teams) to spread his ideas.

During his lively speeches, he dramatically envisions two radically different futures for America. One is a warped Days Of Future Past-like reality, with Sentinels and Giant Men and Iron Men patrolling ghettos full of marginalized mutants. This is the future we are facing, today. Another possibility is a conditional utopia in which the inter-species harmony that Professor X dreams of has been achieved -- albeit enforced by the benevolent vigilance of an mixed-species, XSE-style global police corps.

Bishop's beliefs are put to the test when he is asked to support the cause of Trevor Fitzroy, a white, middle-class, 16-year-old mutant from the same region, who used his powers to drain the life energy from a popular black jock who had been picking on him, during a school prom.

There are no action scenes. No big fights. Just two straight Ex Machina-style issues considering the legal, social, and political implications of the Fitzroy case, with Bishop reluctanty, not-so-humbly seeking guidance and advice from Xavier, Emma, idealistic young lawyer Matt Murdock, and for a brief, priveleged encounter, General Nick Fury. It's mostly talking heads and intense discussion.

What do you think? Could it work?
 
Last edited:

Bass

Nexus of the World
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
14,167
Location
Folkestone, UK
compound said:
What do you think? Could it work?

Maybe, but we kinda need a story. All we have is a setting (a good one, mind you) but there ain't no story - still could be very interesting once the X-Men get involved.


I actually came up with an idea for Ultimate Bishop for "Your Own Ultimate Stories" thread in the fan fic area which went like this:

"The Missing Link" 2000s
The world hears of a teenager named Bishop, who is called "The Man of Tomorrow" for Bishop is the first human/mutant hybrid. The mulatto of humanity, his powers only work when triggered by another mutants powers. His X-gene isn't on by itself and needs true mutants to power it. His appearance creates many problems, but also a potential good, as it refutes the Extinction Theory of the 1980s, the theory that mankind is ultimately doomed. Bishop is targeted by many groups, including Magneto, who find him to be an abomination. The X-Men have only just managed to begin setting the agenda for mutant rights, and Bishop is a threat to that equality, because his presence is inflammatory. They could allow Bishop to die or be captured or mistreated in some way, and retain their security. But the X-Men do their best to protect Bishop. The X-Men, with Bishop now a full-time student, have put themselves directly in the centre of the storm for all fronts of the coming mutant/human war. Their security is gone, but hopefully, it will provide them a future.

Okay, I took out the Magneto bit at the end because it sucked, but the idea here is Magneto doesn't need to be out of prison for this story. But it hopefully creates the sense of impending doom that Bishop's appearance from the future always did in 616.
 
Last edited:

Hawkeye101

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2005
Messages
680
Location
Iowa
Bass said:
Maybe, but we kinda need a story. All we have is a setting (a good one, mind you) but there ain't no story - still could be very interesting once the X-Men get involved.


I actually came up with an idea for Ultimate Bishop for "Your Own Ultimate Stories" thread in the fan fic area which went like this:

"The Missing Link" 2000s
The world hears of a teenager named Bishop, who is called "The Man of Tomorrow" for Bishop is the first human/mutant hybrid. The mulatto of humanity, his powers only work when triggered by another mutants powers. His X-gene isn't on by itself and needs true mutants to power it. His appearance creates many problems, but also a potential good, as it refutes the Extinction Theory of the 1980s, the theory that mankind is ultimately doomed. Bishop is targeted by many groups, including Magneto, who find him to be an abomination. The X-Men have only just managed to begin setting the agenda for mutant rights, and Bishop is a threat to that equality, because his presence is inflammatory. They could allow Bishop to die or be captured or mistreated in some way, and retain their security. But the X-Men do their best to protect Bishop. The X-Men, with Bishop now a full-time student, have put themselves directly in the centre of the storm for all fronts of the coming mutant/human war. Their security is gone, but hopefully, it will provide them a future.

Okay, I took out the Magneto bit at the end because it sucked, but the idea here is Magneto doesn't need to be out of prison for this story. But it hopefully creates the sense of impending doom that Bishop's appearance from the future always did in 616.

BASS! You're back! Anyway cool idea!
 

Akilies

Active Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
31
Cool, and don't get me wrong I love the ideas, but why does Bishop have to be some cult/group leader? Sure he led the XSE for a bit in the MU; but the Ultimate universe is changing details like that.

Bishop is a felon, a crook. He looks out for numero uno. But when his sister dies, he feels responsible. He's never done anything with his abilities to help others; and now he sees the light. Looking for "redemption" Bishop joins the X-men. Not a savior. Not a prophet from the future. Just a "man" looking for "salvation".
 

Latest posts

Top