Ultimate Casting

TheManWithoutFear said:
Marc Ruffalo. I don't need to say any more?

Granted....I know a lot of my choices aren't very high on anyone's list......but MWOF has got a point.

Mark Ruffalo should not be allowed to be anything more than a poor man's Showtime/Cinemax version of Jon Favreau.

Dr.Strangefate said:
YOU WERE IN A MOVIE WITH CHRISTIAN BALE?!

Why the **** didn't anybody point this out before...

Or why haven't -you- brought it up?

Or why wasn't I paying attention?

Heheh, yes indeedy. I actually didn't get to work with Christian much, we had different call times and they didn't bring him in until much later.

Got to work with Colin a bunch though, and that was pretty awesome. Even had a beer with him after work one evening.

My friend did get to work with Christian a few times though, and I think you guys'll like this story. He goes up to him and says "Hey Mr. Bale, I'm a huge fan of your work, you're really awesome." or something like that, and Christian says "Oh, why thank you, that really means a lot to me. What's your name?" and my friend looks around and then stares at him and says in a deep, raspy voice "I'm Batman." And Christian's eyes go wide and then he glares, grabs my friend by the collar, and says in this super deep, badass voice "No! I'm Batman." Then they both laugh. It was cool.

Ok, I know, that's horrendously off topic.

Going back........... NOW.

(I say we plan to capture him to discover location of said friend; capture said friend, and leave a ransom note... And then when Bale shows up in his Bat-Suit to save the other Batman, it'll be awesome)

Yeah. I just do play acting... I went to Interlochen... met Anthony Rapp once....

Kate Bishop from Young Avengers went to Interlochen...

That's the extent of what I can say.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've done some stage work in RVA (just got off an Edward Albee play actually), but generally stick to film. I don't even go to school for Theatre (it's a killer on your resume out in LA), so I took the route of English Major. Acting's just something I've been doing since I was like... 7, so you know, my passion and all that.

Though, as far as casting goes, I may not fit any of the characters they're casting for now, but if any of you have read the new New Warriors series (which I swear they better keep those up because they rock), I am Speedball personified damn it. If they ever make a movie about Speedball I'm fighting tooth and nail for that part because Speedball freakin' rocks.

I'm still waiting for Ultimate Speedball...

MWOF said:
Marc Ruffalo. I don't need to say any more?
That only counts for one actor on that list. And it still explains nothing.

Victor Von Doom said:
Mark Ruffalo should not be allowed to be anything more than a poor man's Showtime/Cinemax version of Jon Favreau.
Now THAT'S making a point. Hilarious and true.

Although now that I think about it Jon Favreau's self-aware yammering seems perfectly suited to a Mark Millar comic book character. :p

Okay! I love this kind of post. I've done this twice at another forum and it took on well. My turn!

Nick Fury - Samuel L Jackson (who else?)
Captain America - Brad Pitt (the chin, the muscles, the skill with a shield, the fighting prowess and he can act...i sound like a woman!)
Iron Man - Julian McMahon (he doesn't exactly look the part, but if you watch "Nip/Tuck" you'll know he can act the part!)
Thor - Viggo Mortensen (I often picture him as Aragorn but with blonde hair holding a beer in the rain and it works...am i gay?) OR Sean Bean (same image works...plus that shield in LOTR was so NORSE!)
Hank Pym - This one has stumped me on many occasions and I'm still not sure who to choose. I'll get back to it after I'm done with the rest.
Wasp - Ming Na (she isn't exactly Jan, but she's close and I think she could pull it off)
Bruce Banner - Edward Norton. One of my favorite actors and he's pulled off pathetic, twisted, deranged and dispicable. He's Banner.
Betty Ross - This bugs me, too. I don't know who could play her. Sometimes I look at her in the book and I know she looks like someone, but I just can't place her. I often recall that image of her all pissed from #4 (i think) of volume 1 when Pym is the only one appearing for the media...that one nags at me.
Jarvis - Albert Finney. NUFF SAID!
Kleiser - Either that guy who played the lame Bond villain in "The World Is Not Enough" (ya know, the guy with the bullet in his brain who you loved to hate in "Trainspotting"!) OR Karol Roden (i think that's how you spell it)

As for Pym, I was convinced at one point to think of Edward Norton as Pym, but I prefer Norton as Banner. So I dunno for him.

ourchair said:
....Although now that I think about it Jon Favreau's self-aware yammering seems perfectly suited to a Mark Millar comic book character. :p

True....but I haven't seen any little fan men walking around in his book.....unless you count Volstagg. But there are so many more people capable of filling this role far better than Jon.

Maybe as a secondary scientist working with Hank/Banner.

Samuel L. Jackson should not be let anywhere near Nick Fury! Despite how much they look alike, he is the most over rated actor in the known universe. He hasn't done a job well since Pulp Fiction, and his acting range extends from talking loudly to looking edgy and/or angry (which is why people were convinced by PF that he was anyway decent).

Has everyone forgotten that he played a permanently scarred director of an intelligence agency in another film? And how God awful that was? Coach Carter, SWAT, Star Wars, Basic, Changing Lanes with equally reprehensible Beefleck and the worst actor CV continues in the sunset. UGH.

Victor Von Doom said:
Ouch! What's with all the Ruffalo-hating going on? The guy is money, I tell you.

First of all, he looks like the Ultimate version of Banner:
ruffalo.jpg

Compare that pic with Nas-T's avatar, and I dare you to say that the likeness is not uncanny.

Now, combine his lovestruck neurotic lab-assistant character from Eternal Sunshine... with his charmingly awkward but professionally-skilled geek-boy from 13 Going On 30, and there you have it -- Bruce himself.

I'm so adamant about this, I'd actually say Ruffalo would me my least negotiable choice, out of all my picks.

Last edited:
compound said:
Compare that pic with Nas-T's avatar, and I dare you to say that the likeness is not uncanny.......

I thought his avatar was Bill Gates finding out that America loves Apple??? :D

Seriously though---Ruffalo ain't bad......he just doesn't strike as a main character kinda guy. Plus it looks like he found his niche as romantic comedy leading man. 13 Going on 30 and Just Like Heaven have cemented him as "all round nice guy to bring home to your family" man.

Ruffalo has a terrible screen presence. Always.

Jared Leto? Why all of a sudden is everyone hopping on this bandwagon. Because IMDB shows a picture of him in Roman Armor? Sorry guys he's nowhere near Thor material. I'm stickin with Sean Bean. He looks like him and has acting skills.

Michael Pitt? I think you guys are stereotyping here. Quicksilver isn't a weak looking homosexual (sorry strangefate if that offends. I don't intend it too) Quicksilver is a guy who looks like he's strong on the outside but has very vulnerable interior characteristics. Don't pick the weakest looking guy with baby blues just because.

Shannyn Sossamon is perfect. You did a great job on that one.

Asia Argento is about as good as Michelle Rodriguez.

Djimon Hounsou? You're just trying to pick a somewhat noticeable black guy. The part was written specifically for Samuel L. Jackson. and Random... I thought he did a good job in all those movies you named? So what are you selling?

Tate Donovan as Hawkeye? I just can't place it or maybe I'll be honest, I just like Statham better as a down to business soldier whose the biggest badass in the known Universe. Cause Statham's the biggest Badass in this universe.

Monica Belluci I had pegged for Wanda. Wanda doesn't do much talking and action and I don't see Belluci as doing more than looking good either.

Back to Banner. I'm leaning on Topher Grace. The man can act his balls off and he's got the puny look. I'll settle when I see him do "angry" in Spider-Man 3. If Ultimate Banner wasn't so emotional (the difference between 616 and Ultimate Banner) I'd give it to Wentworth Miller, easy.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Ruffalo has a terrible screen presence. Always.
I'd wager dollars to donuts that you haven't seen My Life Without Me, In The Cut, or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. *Especially* the latter.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Jared Leto? Why all of a sudden is everyone hopping on this bandwagon. Because IMDB shows a picture of him in Roman Armor? Sorry guys he's nowhere near Thor material.
I'd just end up repeating what Ourchair has already pointed out, mostly, so I won't bother. I'm not completely insistent on Leto, but I would definitely prefer him to Sean Bean.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Michael Pitt? I think you guys are stereotyping here. Quicksilver isn't a weak looking homosexual (sorry strangefate if that offends. I don't intend it too) Quicksilver is a guy who looks like he's strong on the outside but has very vulnerable interior characteristics. Don't pick the weakest looking guy with baby blues just because.
Now YOU're stereotyping the kind of roles Pitt takes on. See Larry Clark's Bully, then tell me he's weak-looking. I'll admit, it's quite a horrible film (both in terms of subject matter and how badly it's directed), but Pitt's nuanced performance is its one redeeming quality.

And if you've seen the trailers for the upcoming(?) Last Days, where he plays a Kurt Cobain analog, you'll know he can do the outwardly-tough, inwardly-vulnerablke schtick to a tee.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Asia Argento is about as good as Michelle Rodriguez.
WTF?!

TheManWithoutFear said:
Djimon Hounsou? You're just trying to pick a somewhat noticeable black guy.
That's complete bull. See his performance in The Island (where he's a tough-as-nails mercenary bad-*** with a latent sympathetic streak -- perfect for Fury).

TheManWithoutFear said:
The part was written specifically for Samuel L. Jackson.
And that's exactly why I'm dead set against seeing him play it. It would just be too contrived. I'd want to see somebody else attempt to give the character a different dimension. He's already Jackson in the comics -- let the movie version of Fury be a slightly different character.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Cause Statham's the biggest Badass in this universe.
I *seriously* beg to differ.

TheManWithoutFear said:
If Ultimate Banner wasn't so emotional (the difference between 616 and Ultimate Banner) I'd give it to Wentworth Miller, easy.
Ultimate Banner's emotional quality is PRECISELY what makes Ruffalo a perfect shoo-in for the role, IMHO.

TheManWithoutFear said:
The part was written specifically for Samuel L. Jackson. and Random... I thought he did a good job in all those movies you named? So what are you selling?
Since we already have a 'Random' who hasn't posted in this thread, I would suggest just going with the whole name 'randomthoughts'. Just thought I'd point that out.

Boondock Jew said:
Heheh, yes indeedy. I actually didn't get to work with Christian much, we had different call times and they didn't bring him in until much later.

Got to work with Colin a bunch though, and that was pretty awesome. Even had a beer with him after work one evening.

My friend did get to work with Christian a few times though, and I think you guys'll like this story. He goes up to him and says "Hey Mr. Bale, I'm a huge fan of your work, you're really awesome." or something like that, and Christian says "Oh, why thank you, that really means a lot to me. What's your name?" and my friend looks around and then stares at him and says in a deep, raspy voice "I'm Batman." And Christian's eyes go wide and then he glares, grabs my friend by the collar, and says in this super deep, badass voice "No! I'm Batman." Then they both laugh. It was cool.

Ok, I know, that's horrendously off topic.

Going back........... NOW.

That is a cool story, and totally justifiable in bringing a thread off topic. ;) But then again I see most things that way. I'm the resident topic-strayer after all, right there with Ourchair.

Though, as far as casting goes, I may not fit any of the characters they're casting for now, but if any of you have read the new New Warriors series (which I swear they better keep those up because they rock), I am Speedball personified damn it. If they ever make a movie about Speedball I'm fighting tooth and nail for that part because Speedball freakin' rocks.

I'm still waiting for Ultimate Speedball...

From your pic on IMDB, you do look decidedly like the character.

compound said:
Compare that pic with Nas-T's avatar, and I dare you to say that the likeness is not uncanny.

Now, combine his lovestruck neurotic lab-assistant character from Eternal Sunshine... with his charmingly awkward but professionally-skilled geek-boy from 13 Going On 30, and there you have it -- Bruce himself.

I'm so adamant about this, I'd actually say Ruffalo would me my least negotiable choice, out of all my picks.

I'm agreeing with Compound on this one, they both look very much alike and the acting background he mentioned does support his argument quite well.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Quicksilver isn't a weak looking homosexual

Of course not, he's a quick-looking incest-practicing heterosexual...

compound said:
And that's exactly why I'm dead set against seeing him play it. It would just be too contrived. I'd want to see somebody else attempt to give the character a different dimension. He's already Jackson in the comics -- let the movie version of Fury be a slightly different character.

Do have to disagree here though. Personally when I'm reading Ultimates I'm picturing Jackson's voice when Fury's speaking, and it would be a total waste in my opinion to have someone else play the role. To me, that would seem forced. Jackson may not be a great actor by any means, but he IS Fury. There's no getting around that. Why even bother casting someone else when the character is a perfect analogue of Jackson's past roles and looks exactly like him? Its pointless.

I *seriously* beg to differ.

Have to disagree here too. Statham is the biggest badass in the known universe, except for possibly other than an actually proven badass like Chuck Liddell (he's the current UFC heavy-weight MMA champion).

DIrishB said:
I'm agreeing with Compound on this one, they both look very much alike and the acting background he mentioned does support his argument quite well.
You're missing a huge trait. I've never seen Mark Ruffalo look like he was being pushed over the edge. That's what I need with Bruce Banner in any universe.

Do have to disagree here though. Personally when I'm reading Ultimates I'm picturing Jackson's voice when Fury's speaking, and it would be a total waste in my opinion to have someone else play the role. To me, that would seem forced. Jackson may not be a great actor by any means, but he IS Fury. There's no getting around that. Why even bother casting someone else when the character is a perfect analogue of Jackson's past roles and looks exactly like him? Its pointless.
Exactly. This character was locked as soon as he appeared. It's sorta bad form to just say "I want it to be different just to be different".

Have to disagree here too. Statham is the biggest badass in the known universe, except for possibly other than an actually proven badass like Chuck Liddell (he's the current UFC heavy-weight MMA champion).
It's Gospel :twisted:

TheManWithoutFear said:
You're missing a huge trait. I've never seen Mark Ruffalo look like he was being pushed over the edge. That's what I need with Bruce Banner in any universe.

Doesn't mean he can't display that...you're assuming from the romantic comedy roles he's taken he can't do anything else, which is unfair.

Exactly. This character was locked as soon as he appeared. It's sorta bad form to just say "I want it to be different just to be different".

Which is really the only reason another person would be picked to play Fury. If for some odd reason they were to make a movie of The Ultimates and Jackson couldn't or wouldn't do it for some reason, I could understand them using someone else, but otherwise it would be a bad decision in my opinion. Come on Compound, you can't say you don't hear Jackson's voice like I do when reading his dialogue in the title. Well, I suppose you can, but you'd be lying.

;)

I have no idea why people are so keen on perpetuating the idea of Ultimate Hawkeye as being so badass he can't have anything else but a badass play him in a movie. That line of logic makes him a one-note character lost in a sea of other bad-asses like Widow and Cap.

It's already been clearly established that while Hawkeye is no less competent than his contemporary's in SHIELD's little supergroup, he is also very much a family man who'd rather spend time with his family than making the rounds on the late night talk show circuit.

And when things go crazy, he understands that he is but a man in an insane world of superhumans. A super spy who keeps his cool even while he is internally overwhelmed by the chaos of widescreen destruction around him.

He's either an man gone insane in a world of conflic or a conflicted man in a world gone insane. So who else could play him but Kiefer Sutherland of 24?

No question about it, Kiefer can do bad-*** AND soft-hearted humanity and manage to juxtapose the two elements such that they work in the same person.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back