Ultimate Comics Avengers (Discussion & Spoilers)

Re: Ultimate Avengers (Discussion & Spoilers)

I'm still depressed about Ultimatum. I've been drinking cocktails in a hot tub surrounded by bikini-clad babes satisfying my every whim for weeks now, and it still won't go away.

I'm still depressed about Ultimatum. I've been drinking cocktails in a hot tub surrounded by bikini-clad babes satisfying my every whim for weeks now, and it still won't go away.

Millar/Bendis era = Golden age
Bendis/others era = Silver age
Loeb era = **** age
Post-Ultimatum = Senile age

Everything before Ultimatum was better than Ultimatum. Everything after Ultimatum will probably be better than Ultimatum, but will never be as good or better than anything before Ultimatum.

Last edited:

Probably because they're wearing bikinis.

If they're satisfying your every whim, why god are they still wearing bikinis?

Also, your toes are getting all pruned, dude.

Last edited:

It's funny that you say that it's senile when both of the original architects of the UU are back in business.

It's funny that you say that it's senile when both of the original architects of the UU are back in business.

and performing below standards.

I think the point is, while the UU has the original two guys in place, the mainstream universe has dramatically outpaced the imprint, and the "bold new direction" from Millar and Bendis hardly seems capable of keeping pace with the 616 stories. I just think, maybe the universe has passed the point of no return.

Last edited:

Well, I hate to make this comparison (because I know Bass will have a field day), but the UU can be equated to Heroes now. Jeph Loeb comes in and takes a **** on something and the writers post-Loeb are having to piece back together the good.

Another thing I see being a problem is the absense of an X-Men title. You're missing the largest pillar in the foundation of the Ultimate Marvel universe. Having Iceman and Shadowcat pop up as supporting cast members is lame.

I won't have a field day. I agree. They're on volume 4 when Fuller showed up to fix it. We'll see if it ends the same way...

From the Marvel Spotlight issue which reveals a few details about upcoming characters and storylines...

Millarworld said:
I've heard that the Marvel Spotlight issue that came out recently had some interesting tidbits about upcoming events in this series. A new Wasp (one of the reprogrammed terrorists from Ultimates 2), a new Giant Man (reformed heroin addict), and even the new African-American Hulk (Banner's old professor who is in a wheelchair; not sure if he's in the chair when he's Black Hulk, though). Also, more info about The Spider, who is a cannibal and appears in a scene with Fury talking to him while he reads in a cell and eats bloody meat (or something like that). Basically these are a bunch of guys like Hawkeye (who was apparently a killer on death row) who have been reformed and made into superheroes.

Also, it would seem that Nick Fury is going to employ time travel to recruit Wolverine for the vampire arc, which is the 3rd UA arc. He basically goes back in time and grabs him for this mission (probably because he needs someone with a healing factor who would be immune to vampire bites; that's my guess at least). Pretty neat way to get around Loeb's killing him off and the new "dead means dead...for real this time" rule that they've put in place for Ultimate Comics. But it also means he likely won't be sticking around, as removing him from the past would destroy the present (or at least I would think it would).

As for other stuff in the Spotlight issue, they talked about Loeb's New Ultimates, but frankly it sounds like such a trainwreck that I really won't go into it beyond saying that he's replaced Thor with Valkyrie as the new god of thunder and added Shanna and Ka-Zar to the Ultimates.

From the Marvel Spotlight issue which reveals a few details about upcoming characters and storylines...

Originally Posted by Millarworld
SPOILER! I've heard that the Marvel Spotlight issue that came out recently had some interesting tidbits about upcoming events in this series. A new Wasp (one of the reprogrammed terrorists from Ultimates 2), a new Giant Man (reformed heroin addict), and even the new African-American Hulk (Banner's old professor who is in a wheelchair; not sure if he's in the chair when he's Black Hulk, though). Also, more info about The Spider, who is a cannibal and appears in a scene with Fury talking to him while he reads in a cell and eats bloody meat (or something like that). Basically these are a bunch of guys like Hawkeye (who was apparently a killer on death row) who have been reformed and made into superheroes.

Also, it would seem that Nick Fury is going to employ time travel to recruit Wolverine for the vampire arc, which is the 3rd UA arc. He basically goes back in time and grabs him for this mission (probably because he needs someone with a healing factor who would be immune to vampire bites; that's my guess at least). Pretty neat way to get around Loeb's killing him off and the new "dead means dead...for real this time" rule that they've put in place for Ultimate Comics. But it also means he likely won't be sticking around, as removing him from the past would destroy the present (or at least I would think it would).

As for other stuff in the Spotlight issue, they talked about Loeb's New Ultimates, but frankly it sounds like such a trainwreck that I really won't go into it beyond saying that he's replaced Thor with Valkyrie as the new god of thunder and added Shanna and Ka-Zar to the Ultimates.

DIrishB is not going to like that
Wolverine
is back. Even if it is through
time travel

The rest sounds kind of intresting.

Last edited:

Loeb era = **** age

Everything before Ultimatum was better than Ultimatum. Everything after Ultimatum will probably be better than Ultimatum, but will never be as good or better than anything before Ultimatum.

Loeb era = 90's
Post-Ultimatum = Modern cleanup?

It was mildly interesting. I need to really read more for a better opinion.

Last edited:

Hm. Does anyone else feel like Marvel may as well just rename "Ultimate Comics" as "Image Comics" and call it a day?

Last edited:

Hm. Does anyone else feel like Marvel may as well just rename "Ultimate Comics" as "Image Comics" and call it a day?

Not unless Rob Liefeld gets a piece of it and starts making new characters that all look like his used or unused X-Characters.

If they're satisfying your every whim, why god are they still wearing bikinis?

I have very modest whims.

I haven't actually read this yet. Flicked through it in the shop. It seemed pretty lightweight for $3.99. Likewise USM, or UCSM, or USM v2.0, or whatever it is. Both seemed OK, but not really worth the price tag; I'm not earning right now and I'm thinking maybe I should just quit the Ultimate U cold at this convenient point.

Loeb era = **** age

These are both very good points. Which is completely contradictory.

I think what it is, because I agree with Langsta even though the "Senile" age is indeed written by the "Golden" age writers, is this: The Loeb era so completely stretched the point of credibility of the comics that, at the moment, it just feels like a company franchise, it feels like fan-fiction. We, as an audience, are simply too aware of the creative decisions in making up the comic prior to it being released. What's more, what Loeb did was so thoroughly "un-Ultimate" that these stories that follow on and reference it feel completely forced. We, as an audience, can't reconcile the bizarre shift of storytelling internally within the fictional universe, and are simply too aware that this was "Written by Loeb" and that now these bits are "Written by Bendis/Millar". Instead of reading a story about Spider-Man, we're reading what Bendis thinks should happen to Spider-Man. It doesn't feel real or immersive.

I think, or would hope, that such an atmosphere would dissipate when the clammy hands of Loeb's run is gone, but for the present, that atmosphere will be terribly pervasive. For example, when Wolverine returns, this will all come up again.

Basically, every time someone points out a iconic Marvel character who died in Ultimatum, this 'senility' will kick in. And because Loeb had the idiocy to take out so many icons so senselessly and poorly, I can't see that not being referenced again and again.

For example; the X-Men are missing Xavier, Magneto, Cyclops, and Wolverine, all of which are key staples of that franchise. The Fantastic Four are missing Doctor Doom. We're missing Thor (and therefore... all the Asgardian characters), and Wasp and Giant-Man. And when Millar or Bendis introduce new versions of those characters, we'll be reminded that the originals are dead for stupid reasons and that lack of immersion will kick in.

This is how bad Loeb's run is - it will continue to taint the stories because unlike the Maximum Carnage or Countdown to Crisis, it simply cannot be forgotten. Most bad arcs are just bad, and they can be forgotten by new writers not referencing it. But Ultimatum just will be mentioned again and again, and so the only way to actually deal with it is to retcon it.

Last edited:

These are both very good points. Which is completely contradictory.

I think what it is, because I agree with Langsta even though the "Senile" age is indeed written by the "Golden" age writers, is this: The Loeb era so completely stretched the point of credibility of the comics that, at the moment, it just feels like a company franchise, it feels like fan-fiction. We, as an audience, are simply too aware of the creative decisions in making up the comic prior to it being released. What's more, what Loeb did was so thoroughly "un-Ultimate" that these stories that follow on and reference it feel completely forced. We, as an audience, can't reconcile the bizarre shift of storytelling internally within the fictional universe, and are simply too aware that this was "Written by Loeb" and that now these bits are "Written by Bendis/Millar". Instead of reading a story about Spider-Man, we're reading what Bendis thinks should happen to Spider-Man. It doesn't feel real or immersive.

I think, or would hope, that such an atmosphere would dissipate when the clammy hands of Loeb's run is gone, but for the present, that atmosphere will be terribly pervasive. For example, when Wolverine returns, this will all come up again.

Basically, every time someone points out a iconic Marvel character who died in Ultimatum, this 'senility' will kick in. And because Loeb had the idiocy to take out so many icons so senselessly and poorly, I can't see that not being referenced again and again.

For example; the X-Men are missing Xavier, Magneto, Cyclops, and Wolverine, all of which are key staples of that franchise. The Fantastic Four are missing Doctor Doom. We're missing Thor (and therefore... all the Asgardian characters), and Wasp and Giant-Man. And when Millar or Bendis introduce new versions of those characters, we'll be reminded that the originals are dead for stupid reasons and that lack of immersion will kick in.

This is how bad Loeb's run is - it will continue to taint the stories because unlike the Maximum Carnage or Countdown to Crisis, it simply cannot be forgotten. Most bad arcs are just bad, and they can be forgotten by new writers not referencing it. But Ultimatum just will be mentioned again and again, and so the only way to actually deal with it is to retcon it.

I completely agree. Usually I'm pretty much against retcons and reboots. My feeling is almost anything can be recovered. You can work around a few bad stories, make things work out if you put enough thought in, or just ignore long enough and the wounds would heal. But for the reasons Bass mentioned there's just no real way to get past that.

In fact earlier I was thinking that a retcon story would be pretty interesting (and obviously better). Like if Fury found away to travel back in time to a point that's convenient for undoing some other missteps before it all went to ****. Have him and Jean Grey infiltrate the Brotherhood's based. Then have Jean take off Magneto's helmet and psychically paralyze while Fury does the whole reveal the truth of mutant to Mags while saying "This plan to reveal the nation darkest secret was originally meant to convince you to stop your attacks. But I've seen what you can do and I just can't risk that. I just wanted you to know, all the lives you have taken, all the **** you have done means absolutely nothing, you were just and experiment that became a desease. I want that to be the last thing that runs through your mind, besides this bullet" and Bam, **** is undone, you have the major death, everyone stays in character, a bad *** climax, a shashank redemption reference, and one more chance to do the stories right. Which I'm certain they'll just **** up again anyway.

Yeah like I'm just making an analogy up but, it's like they're keeping their wounded pet dog as it gets even more sick and helpless. Instead of just buying another dog.

....Yeah. That made sense.

There's a better expression but I can't think of it right now.

Last edited:

Very out of character.

Remember, he had his fiance betray him, the team, and the entire country, kill his butler, and had them falsely accuse his best friend. He mourned for about 5 minutes until he saw a hot blonde walking down the street.

He shouldn't be mourning after 3 weeks.

You're saying Tony's romantic feelings and his feelings of friendship, comraderie, and/or respect are the same? I say thee NAY!!

Tony would NEVER spend more than a few minutes mourning a romantic interest, I agree, but I could see him being depressed over the death of a friend/acquaintance/teammate. Tony's weird like that. Were it Thor or someone he was close with (Happy, Jim Rhodes), I'm sure it would've hit him VERY hard, because it would be unexpected. I'm sure he realized there was at least a 75% chance Natasha would betray him in the end, hence the fail-safe nano-bots he used to paralyze her at the end of Ultimates 2. Its different.

If anything, it could also be explained that it brought his own mortality (due to the apparently never-ending brain tumor) to the forefront of his thoughts, and thats what he's really depressed about. Killing the most unkillable man/mutant alive could believably have that effect on someone, even someone as cynical and laid-back as Tony.

yeah, when i said "since Ultimate Power", i meant that Ultimate Power was the beginning of the sucking

sorry, that was unclear.

4 Realz.

Can I come over...?

DIrishB is not going to like that
Wolverine
is back. Even if it is through
time travel

The rest sounds kind of intresting.

Eh, the time travel doesn't bother me. I'm sure Millar will make it interesting. As for the New Ultimates crap with Valkyrie replacing Thor and Shanna and KaZar joining the Ultimates...thats retarded. Why would Savage Land warriors want anything to do with the Ultimates outside of the Savage Land, and what particular skills would they possess that the Ultimates would recruit them?

Last edited by a moderator:

As for the New Ultimates crap with Valkyrie replacing Thor and Shanna and KaZar joining the Ultimates...thats retarded. Why would Savage Land warriors want anything to do with the Ultimates outside of the Savage Land, and what particular skills would they possess that the Ultimates would recruit them?

Ummm, they are still alive?

Latest posts

Back