Ultimate Daredevil-can anything be done with him?

Granted, this idea sounds horrible at first glance, but this is all off the top of my head and done for the sake of making DD different rather than just a 616 cut-out.

I liked it Doom, I wouldn't mind reading that if they did it and i'm not a daredevil fan

To be honest---I don't think so.

What would be interesting would be to meld the idea of Ultimate Daredevil with Daredevil 2099.

What I would do, since they've never officially said how old Kingpin actually is, is to create a backstory where we find out that Matt Murdock was actually adopted by Jack Murdock. He finds out that his real father is actually Wilson Fisk.

Matt still attempts to destroy Fisk's empire....but begins to take more drastic steps to reach his goal. And ultimately he does indeed takedown Kingpin, but realizes that in order to compensate for the power vaccum and that to make any relevant change, someone must head up crime in the city. DD decides that he will become the new Kingpin.

And as such he must struggle to find the balance between good and acceptable evils. This would lead the character's book to be a lot like the duality of TV's Dexter.

Granted, this idea sounds horrible at first glance, but this is all off the top of my head and done for the sake of making DD different rather than just a 616 cut-out.

i actually kind of like that idea, sorta also hearkens to PotC3.

Last edited:
To be honest---I don't think so.

What would be interesting would be to meld the idea of Ultimate Daredevil with Daredevil 2099.

Marvel_knights_2099.jpg

What I would do, since they've never officially said how old Kingpin actually is, is to create a backstory where we find out that Matt Murdock was actually adopted by Jack Murdock. He finds out that his real father is actually Wilson Fisk.

Matt still attempts to destroy Fisk's empire....but begins to take more drastic steps to reach his goal. And ultimately he does indeed takedown Kingpin, but realizes that in order to compensate for the power vaccum and that to make any relevant change, someone must head up crime in the city. DD decides that he will become the new Kingpin.

And as such he must struggle to find the balance between good and acceptable evils. This would lead the character's book to be a lot like the duality of TV's Dexter.

That seems like a case of trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Plus i'm getting a bit sick of the "Luke of I am your father" cliche, Shang-Chi's father is already a villain.

I don't recall them remaining a team after that arc.

But with kingpin gone, why would DD still be hanging around with them? What would they be doing? Dealing with psychos in hell's Kitchen?

Last edited:
That seems like a case of trying to fix something that isn't broken.

His current state isn't "broken" but it sure is stagnant.

I can see why Marvel isn't doing an ongoing Ultimate book with him because what's the point? As of now he's exactly like his 616 counterpart.

Plus i'm getting a bit sick of the "Luke of I am your father" cliche, Shang-Chi's father is already a villain.

That's just one character. A minor charater at that.

His current state isn't "broken" but it sure is stagnant.

I can see why Marvel isn't doing an ongoing Ultimate book with him because what's the point? As of now he's exactly like his 616 counterpart.

Because his life is always turmoil, there is easy to fix it, stop doing it. Its not like his continuity is messed up.

Anyway I'm not suggesting giving him his own title, just expanding his role a bit.

That's just one character. A minor charater at that.

But its such an over used trope in pop culture in general.

Last edited:
That's likely correct, but still they can do something with him story wise, it seems like he is fairly underdevloped in the UU.

I agree, but I guess maybe I misunderstood what you were asking. I can't think of how he needs to be improved (read: "Ultimized") but he can still be used.

this is all off the top of my head and done for the sake of making DD different rather than just a 616 cut-out.

Bendis has shown us the danger of changing a character for the UU just to make it different from 616. :D

For the record, I've always thought it would have been cool to have Ultimate Daredevil stay in his makeshift black ninja-y costume he had in Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra.

I agree, but I guess maybe I misunderstood what you were asking. I can't think of how he needs to be improved (read: "Ultimized") but he can still be used.

I do think they do things with him that can't with the regular DD, for example Ultimate DD's life isn't a total mess at this point, so maybe he is a little more well adjusted at this point.

I would just Spidey to go into DD's world for an arc and see how messed up it can be. Also I would like to see the, team up against someone who isn't Kingpin, like Mr. Fear or Purple man or someone.

Bendis has shown us the danger of changing a character for the UU just to make it different from 616. :D

For the record, I've always thought it would have been cool to have Ultimate Daredevil stay in his makeshift black ninja-y costume he had in Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra.

If its not broken, don't fix it.

If its not broken, don't fix it.

It's not that it's broken, but seeing how his life is more of a mess than his 616 life as you say (which is debatable), it would be interesting to see him less "together" about his crime fighting; like he just throws on his martial arts outfit and a scarf around his eyes to take care of crime, rather than having an entire costume and whatnot. More vigilante than superhero.

It's not that it's broken, but seeing how his life is more of a mess than his 616 life as you say (which is debatable), it would be interesting to see him less "together" about his crime fighting; like he just throws on his martial arts outfit and a scarf around his eyes to take care of crime, rather than having an entire costume and whatnot. More vigilante than superhero.

I meant in concept, not costume, His costume could change, but they would have to explain why his costume has been copy of his 616 costume, is USM and why it has changed.

Also I think UDD life is less messed up, unlike 616 DD he doesn't have4 6 dead girlfriends, so he should be somewhat more stable.

Like I said I would want more off beat team up between DD and Spidey, where Spidey has deal with a DD villain who isn't Kingpin. Maybe Mr. Fear., Mr. Fear IV was always more of Spidey villain then a SD one, plus Spidey facing his fears could be interesting.

In what way, like a more traditional story where he beats up a villain and hands him over the cops?

No, I just mean don't slaughter everyone he loves and destroy every part of his life. He's already driven to be a vigilante, we don't need him becoming a sociopath that the 616 DD is always on the edge of becoming.

No, I just mean don't slaughter everyone he loves and destroy every part of his life. He's already driven to be a vigilante, we don't need him becoming a sociopath that the 616 DD is always on the edge of becoming.

You really can't touch upon that because UDD doesn't has his own title, UDD is just a side character, so he doesn't get a lot of panel time.

616 DD only became a borderline sociopath after decades of story telling, Silver age DD was quite cheery and kinda goofy. So UDD wouldn't be like that anyway because he hasn't had psychos trying to destroy his life for the past 2 decades.

Maybe a balance between Silver age DD and modern DD is needed,, but its in canon that UDD is somewhat brutal (threatening to Kill kingpin's wife). So I don't know how you strike that balance, in light of that.

Last edited:
Anyway I just think it would fun if Spidey fought a DD villain. It would be an interesting change of pace for Spidey to fight a dark urban villain.

Spidey has never had to deal with someone with mind warping powers, so fighting Ultimate Mr. Fear and having to deal with his fears would be nasty for him. Teaming with DD would be interesting becuase he would dealing with villains with different Mos then his own, ones DD is more used to.

Though just for fun, to end on a light note, DD and Spidey can fight Ultimate Stilt-Man at the end.

Read Frank MIller's Man Without Fear - that's about as Ultimate as Daredevil gets. I can't really see him offering much to the UU other than what he is. There's nothing to ultimize.

Elektra bugged the hell out of me in that. "I cared for my father...so he had to die." I don't get it.

Granted, it's been a couple of years since I read it.

In keeping with my four-part theory of Ultimate imprint design where X-Men is sociological/political, Ultimates is geo-political, Spider-Man is individualist and Fantastic Four is science as a discipline, I think just about any attempts to consider focusing on the Knights - Daredevil, Punisher, Dr. Strange - should take a very far off track of being fundamentally about belief and the conditions and reasons that shape our beliefs.

There's very little about DD and Punny that's worth "Ultimatizing" so just build new characters out of them that are still legitimately faithful to the core themes. Hence, Daredevil would be an anti-Christ, and Punisher would be a priest.

In keeping with my four-part theory of Ultimate imprint design where X-Men is sociological/political, Ultimates is geo-political, Spider-Man is individualist and Fantastic Four is science as a discipline, I think just about any attempts to consider focusing on the Knights - Daredevil, Punisher, Dr. Strange - should take a very far off track of being fundamentally about belief and the conditions and reasons that shape our beliefs.

There's very little about DD and Punny that's worth "Ultimatizing" so just build new characters out of them that are still legitimately faithful to the core themes. Hence, Daredevil would be an anti-Christ, and Punisher would be a priest.

Now how would DD being an anti-Christ work? Why would the anti-Christ be fighting crime? Would that contradict his past appearances?

Also how can work Punisher being a priest to his ultimate ex cop back story?

Plus who would they fight? Mephisto? God?

I know 616 Bushwacker was once a priest....

Last edited:
He's Black Panther in Ultimates 3.

Obligatory Loeb joke aside, I rather like VVD's idea.

Now how would DD being an anti-Christ work? Why would the anti-Christ be fighting crime? Would that contradict his past appearances?

Well, its fairly established in comics that the more superheros you've got running around the more people go crazy and try to be ****ty supervillians. As the Anti-Christ he's speeding along the degradation of humanity by giving them a focusing point instead of letting them live their lives without spandex and lasers attached to their sunglasses.

Well, its fairly established in comics that the more superheros you've got running around the more people go crazy and try to be ****ty supervillians. As the Anti-Christ he's speeding along the degradation of humanity by giving them a focusing point instead of letting them live their lives without spandex and lasers attached to their sunglasses.

Nope, don't care for it. That contradicts past apperarances of UDD and is just change for change sake.

Re: Your contention regarding how such ideas fit into continuity:

Every suggestion I've made about DD, Punisher as a priest, et al, wasn't meant to 'fit in' with the continuity at all. Compound and I made up these ideas before we read Ultimate Marvel Team-Up, but after Ultimate Fantastic Four started.

Latest posts

Back