Ultimate discussion panel/roundtable?

E

Excelsior Club
Here's an idea I've been kicking around in my head. Let me know what you think.

I thought it might be kind of a cool idea to have an Ultimate Panel that could meet up via IM once a month to discuss the month's Ultimate books - things you've noticed, mini-reviews, notes, theories, etc. It doesn't have to be any big commitment; they could just meet for, say, a half hour once a month, and just discuss the books, like a roundtable or something like that.

This is one of the geekiest ideas I've ever come up with. Would anyone be interested? I'm thinking 3-5 people, real standout personalities, so it doesn't get stale or boring....

I see where you're going with this.

Unfortunately I can only see one problem and that's an elitist attitude that might grow from it.

I don't mean to put it down but isn't it just the same as what we've got goin' here anyway? Only on a smaller scale.

Yes, but a "chat" method will make it easier to bounce ideas off each other. Also, it would serve more as a summary of what we've discussed for the month rather than a redundancy.

Not sure where or why an "elitist attitude" could come up - please explain.

I've been looking for ideas for exclusive/unique content for a while now, and this is one of those ideas. With the right people involved, this could be really cool.

Thanks for your input - anything anyone has to say, I'm all ears (or eyes).

UltimateE said:
Yes, but a "chat" method will make it easier to bounce ideas off each other. Also, it would serve more as a summary of what we've discussed for the month rather than a redundancy.

Not sure where or why an "elitist attitude" could come up - please explain.

I've been looking for ideas for exclusive/unique content for a while now, and this is one of those ideas. With the right people involved, this could be really cool.

Thanks for your input - anything anyone has to say, I'm all ears (or eyes).
I think what MwoF is trying to say is that the "elitist" attitude might not necessarily come from the participants of the panel or you, the organizer, but that people will mistakenly perceive the fact that the "select few" who do participate are part of an elite group.

By bifurcating the discussion of the Ultimate Universe between the message board and an IM round table, it may unintentionally create an illusion of the "masses" who participate on the board, and the "chosen" who participate in the panel.

I'd be happy to do it but there is that problem. Maybe just expand the table to those who are posting a lot at the moment and thus likely to want to participate. I don't mean to exclude anyone certainly but people who've only posted like twice or only post every two weeks or anything probably aren't going to be interested anyway. There are only a few more people than the original 5 or so that post very often and timezones would prohibit some people from being involved. Its a good (if geeky) idea and I'm in if it works out.

Point taken.

What if it was a rotating panel - different people every month?

I'm on most of the time. Even though I don't get the Ultimate books the same time as you guys I'll still join the discusion.

ProjectX2 said:
I'm on most of the time. Even though I don't get the Ultimate books the same time as you guys I'll still join the discusion.
Same here. I'd join even though I comic books here ship on Friday (+0800 GMT) rather than on Wednesdays.

We should actually do this, but for comics in general. I'd love to see what a whole pile of us could discuss at once.

We should actually do this, but for comics in general. I'd love to see what a whole pile of us could discuss at once.

Looking back now, that's the only way I'd have anything to do with it. I don't think I have enough to say about any of the Ultimate books - more so once Ultimates 2 ends.

Well I have a....unique personality. Ask Ice, Project, or Sacred & Profane, they know how awkward I am. I may not be on that much recently but I am a responsible person so I would come. If you don't pick me I am ok with that, because its not a big deal.

Maybe you could give each round-table discussion a certain topic that seems applicable to the week at hand, and can pick a round table of people who seem like the best fit for that particular discussion.

See what would be cool is to have a format like they did in Ghost in the shell. But that was in real time but using IM would use the same concept. Basically, everyone on UC that is on AIM can join the group discussion but only five chosen are allowed to speak at a time.Then when rotation or whatever comes, actually you could have a minute or two where the "audience" responds to what the speakers said. This would only work if people like tog or mooney don't make random outbursts of insanity.

EDIT: Also, to have a mediator would be good. and maybe another group IM where the other members can chat about what is going on without interrupting the speakers.

Last edited:
See what would be cool is to have a format like they did in Ghost in the shell. But that was in real time but using IM would use the same concept. Basically, everyone on UC that is on AIM can join the group discussion but only five chosen are allowed to speak at a time.Then when rotation or whatever comes, actually you could have a minute or two where the "audience" responds to what the speakers said. This would only work if people like tog or mooney don't make random outbursts of insanity.

EDIT: Also, to have a mediator would be good. and maybe another group IM where the other members can chat about what is going on without interrupting the speakers.

AIM is the devil.

Latest posts

Back