Ultimate Extinction #2 (SPOILERS)

Am I the only one who reads the Silver Surfer similar to that Cult group that thought they were going to be saved from earth to be taken to another galaxy... except he actually has the means of saving people...

Because it sure seems like he knows everything thats going on, and at the same time is doing a whole heck of a lot trying not to interfere with the course of history.

Gee, its almost like he's working for somebody who has a special interest for humans after having watched them for soooo long, and yet somebody who is forbidden to do anything to help stop bad things from happening.

now... who in heaven's name could this watcher-type figure be??

heh.

I'm just saying this, because it seems pretty damn clear that Gah Lak Tus isn't the type to go around the universe recruiting Heralds, what with the "collective brain"... And what's the point of starting a religion? Wouldn't it have been more effective to throw the world into chaos and distract the heroes (like the 616 Heralds) by causing a huge ruckus?

And Mr. Surfer has got to have a reason to do what he's doing... So I think he's a Herald... but not of our dear pal Gah Lak Tus.

He's interfering to save some human life from earth without changing history.

Or maybe I should re-read the issue.

But still. I bet that we're going to see Uatu pretty damn soon... He'll be diff on a Galactus vs. Gah Lak Tus level... but I bet he'll show up.

UltimateE said:
Cap's superpower is above-human strength, but I wouldn't say he relies on it. It's also a very intelligent strategist and has immense willpower, character strength, tenacity, and loyalty.

You know, even if I was the world's most tenacious, loyal and iron willed SOB, I'm still not winning Gold at ANY of the Olympics event.

Because in a competition against the best, wanting to win REAL bad doesn't compensate for being outgunned, ya know? It only settle the difference when the competitors are otherwise evenly matched.

When Cap and Hawkeye fought Thor, they were largely inefficient and admitted as much at the debriefing. I'd expect pretty much the same thing here. Heroism will come in the form of limiting collateral damage, not getting killed and learning something valuable about the enemy.

As for Cap's strategic genius, this will indeed be most likely his main contribution to an eventual SS take down. But right now, he doesn't have a lot of ressources to be a tactical genius with. Even I could defeat Casparov at chess if he starts the match with only a King and two pawn against my full board.

If they win, it'll be (95% sure) because they'll pull a SHIELD patented plot device out of their asses like batman would and take SS down that way. Not satisfying reading, I'm sure.

But I don't really expect SS to be taken down in issue 3. Too early.

Last edited:
Dr.Strangefate said:
Am I the only one...

That's a fine theory you have there, Doc. I like it.

E.Vi.L. said:
You know, even if I was the world's most tenacious, loyal and iron willed SOB, I'm still not winning Gold at ANY of the Olympics event.

Because in a competition against the best, wanting to win REAL bad doesn't compensate for being outgunned, ya know? It only settle the difference when the competitors are otherwise evenly matched.

I hear you...but this is Captain America we're talking about. He's the jock in high school whom everything works out for. :D

E.Vi.L. said:
When Cap and Hawkeye fought Thor, they were largely inefficient and admitted as much at the debriefing.

Yes, but in the end, they won.

E.Vi.L. said:
If they win, it'll be (95% sure) because they'll pull a SHIELD patented plot device out of their asses like batman would and take SS down that way. Not satisfying reading, I'm sure.

Warren Ellis doesn't really write like that...I would be very surprised if that's what went down.

I'm with DSF - if it wasn't that the Kree were hinted as being the Watchers... but your idea makes sense.

Perhaps tis like Noah's ark...

UltimateE said:
Yes, but in the end, they won.

By "they" you mean the whole team plus a bunch of european supers. The fight boils down to the Ironman armors and the european flyers slowing down Thor long enough for Quicksilver to steal the belt. Cap was pretty superfluous.

If it had only ben Cap and Hawkeye, the fight wouldn't have turned the same way. And right now, this is what is happening. Cap and Falcon walking up to a guy that just might be as powerful as Thor.

Most likely they'll join force with Misty, try real hard not to get killed long enough for Silver Surfer to decide he should elope before the cavalry arrive. Then they'll compare notes and go on the hunt for that mysterious cult, but this time with an ace up their sleeve (Either Thor, a Reed/SHIELD superweapon or both).

Last edited:
I think Dr. Strangefate has something there, although I want to believe that the Surfer is a villain for now... What he said said a lot about his affiliation to Galactus, I believe.

Goodwill said:
I think Dr. Strangefate has something there, although I want to believe that the Surfer is a villain for now... What he said said a lot about his affiliation to Galactus, I believe.

The Surfer may look like a villain now, but so did he back in his first appearance. But it would be a cool change if he sticks with the villain shtick.

Last edited:
You know what's kind of lame? This takes place before ultimates 2 and whatever arc in UXM... but of course, and understandably, no one has ever mentioned an EARTH THREATENING SWARM at all.

Which leads me to believe, a) It's going to have to be a slight continuity error or b) The worst: They all forget or are forced to have their mind wiped. I hate that - it might as well be a dream.

Damn everything.

Rawb said:
You know what's kind of lame? This takes place before ultimates 2 and whatever arc in UXM... but of course, and understandably, no one has ever mentioned an EARTH THREATENING SWARM at all.

Which leads me to believe, a) It's going to have to be a slight continuity error or b) The worst: They all forget or are forced to have their mind wiped. I hate that - it might as well be a dream.

Damn everything.

There is a lot of psychic frequency mumbo-jumbo going on. Makes sense in a way.

UltimateE said:
There is a lot of psychic frequency mumbo-jumbo going on. Makes sense in a way.

That is the most Bendis-ish cop out I've ever heard you say. Shame on you E.......you know better than that.

At least it would be an attempt to explain it. Anything is better than (Batman spoilers)
"Superboy did it"

Last edited:
Victor Von Doom said:
That is the most Bendis-ish cop out I've ever heard you say. Shame on you E.......you know better than that.

I didn't say I'd like it. I meant the theory makes sense.

Rawb said:

Damn everything.

Your logic is flawed because it restricts the options to the only two solution you can conceive and then assumes these are the only possibilities.

What about the possibility that Gah Lak Tus never reaches Earth and that the conflict plays out mostly in Space? It's then conceivable that most people ignore what almost happened except for those who were personnally involved.

Either way, how often do the Ultimates Character reference the Alien invasion of vol 1?

By the nature of the genre, when character are 'on screen' they usually have an immediate crisis to handle. Not much sense in commenting on the crisis of the past unless they are directly tied with the situation at hand.

True... but if it was bad as it's supposed to be, ie races going made with the thought of it kind of thing...

Well, I see your points. I just think that they'd reference it SOMEhow. You think some might even be scarred by such an event.

Well.. we'll see. :)

Rawb said:
Well, I see your points. I just think that they'd reference it SOMEhow. You think some might even be scarred by such an event.

Well.. we'll see. :)

Yeah, we'll see. But I strongly suspect Gah Lak Tus doesn't reach Earth ot at least doesn't get a chance to begin his extinction schtick and be stopped at the last second.

Otherwise we would likely have ended up with a Mad Max kind of Ultimate Universe, which we can see didn't happen.

Hmmm, Super Heroes in a Post-Apocalyptic world... That would be something new. Even got a name for it : The Age of Apocalypse. Whaddya think?

E.Vi.L. said:
Hmmm, Super Heroes in a Post-Apocalyptic world... That would be something new. Even got a name for it : The Age of Apocalypse. Whaddya think?

No one would buy that crap.

Latest posts

Back