Ultimate Extinction #5 of 5 (SPOILERS!!!!!)

the watcher

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
6,530
innocentboy said:
dope issue.
kinda wishing there was more Silver Sufer in it, but that's only being picky as ****.

the fight scene at the start was really hectic

hoping Silver Surfer will get a lot of shine and a lot of appearances in the Ultimate Universe still, since this issue leaves it up in the air

and I thought I sucked at typing the summary.
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
43,800
Location
The World of Icelandia.
Ok, again, no one is *required* to give a summary just because that person starts the discussion thread. So long as the person talks about the comic, it doesn't matter. A summary isn't something that is supposed to be typed out. It's to whoever feels like doing it if at all.
 
Last edited:

Random

Didn't **** any of those *****es
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
13,680
Location
Philadelphia, PA
Ice said:
Ok, again, no one is *required* to give a summary just because that person starts the discussion thread. So long as the person talks about the comic, it doesn't matter. A summary isn't something that is supposed to be typed out. It's to whoever feels like doing it if at all.
so someone please!! I MUST KNOW!!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

E.Vi.L.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
1,276
Location
Montréal
The battle rage in front of the Triskelion. The invasion of clones is met intially by grunts who yell for backup. First on the scene, of course, is Cap who jump from the 88th (approximately) right into the fray.

Marvel, Falcon and Ironman soon join him.

Ironman : Launch Successful. Does someone want to give me a plan of attack?

Fury : All the people coming out of the water? Kill them.

Ironman : Those military academies must be intellectual hothouses.

:lol:

Meanwhile Jean and Xavier prepare their attack. They call in the rest of the X-Men to help against the clone. Colossus, Wolverine, Cyclops and Storm join the party. Not one line between the four of them. Just two panels to let the writers know that the situation downstair is being taken care of.

Sue and Reed are having a few choice words. She's not very happy with the secrecy and the use of the word "damn". eh.

Xavier and Jean reach out to all of the Earth psychics. Since Gah Lak Tus doesn't like to be touched, they'll give him some touching. Using the amplifiers they launch a concerted emotion based psychic attack to disrupt Gah Lak Tus.

As Gal Lak Tus is weakened, Reed use his secret weapon : he basically induce a big bang in a baby universe that is on the verge of having one anyway (They use a big nuclear bomb to trigger the reaction) than channel the resulting energy through the portal and direct it at Gah Lak Tus.

They destroy 20% of its mass in the process. Fury thinks it mean that they failed but it turns out Gah Lak Tus is a chicken. He is affraid and doesn't want to expand the energy necessary to win and so he leaves.

We see a despondant Silver man at this point. He transform and leaves. It is not clear if is left behind or will leave with Gah Lak Tus but it is possible he could remain and be a threat. It would be fun.

In the debriefing, Marh Vhel worries that Gah Lak Tus will destroy other worlds. Fury says that they gonna load all the info on how they defeated him on the Vision and will send her forth to warn other civilizations.

Fury's last words :

"I tell you cap, all this made you think there might not be a god. You know what all this make me wonder? I'm wondering that when I get up to them pearly gates, is God gonna put up a fight, or just move over and let me sit down?"

If you ask me, this should have been a Jack Bauer quote instead.

3.5/5
 

the watcher

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
6,530
E.Vi.L. said:
The battle rage in front of the Triskelion. The invasion of clones is met intially by grunts who yell for backup. First on the scene, of course, is Cap who jump from the 88th (approximately) right into the fray.

Marvel, Falcon and Ironman soon join him.

Ironman : Launch Successful. Does someone want to give me a plan of attack?

Fury : All the people coming out of the water? Kill them.

Ironman : Those military academies must be intellectual hothouses.

:lol:

Meanwhile Jean and Xavier prepare their attack. They call in the rest of the X-Men to help against the clone. Colossus, Wolverine, Cyclops and Storm join the party. Not one line between the four of them. Just two panels to let the writers know that the situation downstair is being taken care of.

Sue and Reed are having a few choice words. She's not very happy with the secrecy and the use of the word "damn". eh.

Xavier and Jean reach out to all of the Earth psychics. Since Gah Lak Tus doesn't like to be touched, they'll give him some touching. Using the amplifiers they launch a concerted emotion based psychic attack to disrupt Gah Lak Tus.

As Gal Lak Tus is weakened, Reed use his secret weapon : he basically induce a big bang in a baby universe that is on the verge of having one anyway (They use a big nuclear bomb to trigger the reaction) than channel the resulting energy through the portal and direct it at Gah Lak Tus.

They destroy 20% of its mass in the process. Fury thinks it mean that they failed but it turns out Gah Lak Tus is a chicken. He is affraid and doesn't want to expand the energy necessary to win and so he leaves.

We see a despondant Silver man at this point. He transform and leaves. It is not clear if is left behind or will leave with Gah Lak Tus but it is possible he could remain and be a threat. It would be fun.

In the debriefing, Marh Vhel worries that Gah Lak Tus will destroy other worlds. Fury says that they gonna load all the info on how they defeated him on the Vision and will send her forth to warn other civilizations.

Fury's last words :

"I tell you cap, all this made you think there might not be a god. You know what all this make me wonder? I'm wondering that when I get up to them pearly gates, is God gonna put up a fight, or just move over and let me sit down?"

If you ask me, this should have been a Jack Bauer quote instead.

3.5/5


Not bad. But Gah Lak Tus leaving without a fight seem like a cop-out.
 

Ultimate Deadpool

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2005
Messages
909
Location
DEADPOOL, inc.
Thanks for that summary, E.VI.L.

This is an issue I'm gonna have to pick up. The finale is pretty weak, but understandable. And I give Reed alot of credit, his idea was flawless in theory.
No one may know this, but I'm actually a Silver Surfer fan. So I'm hoping that we see alot more of him in the Ultimate universe within the coming months.
 
Last edited:

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
17,832
Location
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Sounds very anti-climactic given the huge build-up to this point we had with Nightmare and Secret. I mean, if Gah Lak Tus is such a pansy (in terms of him turning tail and running) then why do the Kree fear him so much? I don't know, this ending just doesn't seem to fit in with a being responsible for the destruction of millions of other worlds...We're the first to beat him?

At least it was set up so the Big G could return at some point.
 

Lynx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,489
Location
Orlando, FL
DIrishB said:
Sounds very anti-climactic given the huge build-up to this point we had with Nightmare and Secret. I mean, if Gah Lak Tus is such a pansy (in terms of him turning tail and running) then why do the Kree fear him so much? I don't know, this ending just doesn't seem to fit in with a being responsible for the destruction of millions of other worlds...We're the first to beat him?

At least it was set up so the Big G could return at some point.

Well, I'm sure no other world has ever done that kind of damage to him hence the running. But you're right; it is kind of odd that Earth is the first world in millions to figure out how to harm GLT. It kind of makes sense having Richards, as well as Xavier and Phoenix, but. . .I don't know.
 

Ultimate Houde

UC's Resident Genetic Recombinator
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
20,134
Location
Houde's Chili Dog Shack
DIrishB said:
Sounds very anti-climactic given the huge build-up to this point we had with Nightmare and Secret. I mean, if Gah Lak Tus is such a pansy (in terms of him turning tail and running) then why do the Kree fear him so much? I don't know, this ending just doesn't seem to fit in with a being responsible for the destruction of millions of other worlds...We're the first to beat him?

At least it was set up so the Big G could return at some point.

Not if you think about it

Big G has relied mainly on scare tatics when he consumes his worlds. His SIlver Surfers show up, and bring th populace to a state of non caring. He then attacks, when the world is unable to respond.

The hive mind relies on scare tatics to win, not sheer brute force. If Earth was the first to attack, then Big G is confused, because all of his other worlds have been pushovers.
 

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
Ok....seriously....this conclusion sucked more than Bendis's Hobgoblin arc. Yeah...I said it. :neutral:

Bendis fanboys just shut up now. I will not reply to your incestant whining replies. So just save your time and type something else.



I am so disappointed in this. It was very anti-climatic. The only thing I liked about the issue was the last page and what Fury said. But even then....it was like "You can't be serious Fury." :roll:
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
17,832
Location
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Ultimate Houde said:
Not if you think about it

Big G has relied mainly on scare tatics when he consumes his worlds. His SIlver Surfers show up, and bring th populace to a state of non caring. He then attacks, when the world is unable to respond.

The hive mind relies on scare tatics to win, not sheer brute force. If Earth was the first to attack, then Big G is confused, because all of his other worlds have been pushovers.

You're a scientist, Houde, I'm sure you know about odds. The odds of Earth being that one in a million chance of driving off Gah Lak Tus isn't good. Yes, perhaps those odds are improved greatly due to Reed, Xavier, and the other super-humans. But what I'm saying is that there should have been at least another civilization capable of harming him, etc. I guess its a moot point, it just seemed weak to me. I don't know why I'm complaining, I expected this is how it would turn out, it just seemed way too rushed and not well executed, in my opinion, especially given the huge build-up this series has gotten through Nightmare and Secret.
 

Ultimate Houde

UC's Resident Genetic Recombinator
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
20,134
Location
Houde's Chili Dog Shack
DIrishB said:
You're a scientist, Houde, I'm sure you know about odds. The odds of Earth being that one in a million chance of driving off Gah Lak Tus isn't good. Yes, perhaps those odds are improved greatly due to Reed, Xavier, and the other super-humans. But what I'm saying is that there should have been at least another civilization capable of harming him, etc. I guess its a moot point, it just seemed weak to me. I don't know why I'm complaining, I expected this is how it would turn out, it just seemed way too rushed and not well executed, in my opinion, especially given the huge build-up this series has gotten through Nightmare and Secret.

There could have been another civilization out there that did it.

I have a feeling it was left open ended with a purpose, for a future storyline when G comes a calling once again. Ellis probably was told to keep it open ended for that reason.

And I am a scientist. I have trouble in believing a man can survive a 88 story building fall and land, able to kick butt. Oh, and the pyshic thing

Nevermind the whole hive mind...wait a sec. It killed 20 percent of Galactus. So, theoritically, it destroyed numerous bug things. Maybe it felt that pain at once, not simply one bug thing dying, but 20% of it's hive dying at the same time. That's quite alot for a hive mind to harness at once.

That could be it you know. Or maybe a past icvilization did defeat it, and the pain was a remembrance of that.

I think we simply do not have enough information presented to us to make a logical conclusion to what actually caused the entity to fly away in another direction.
 

E.Vi.L.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
1,276
Location
Montréal
Well, they destroyed 20% of its mass AND hurt it psychically. And that's before he could land.

If every civilization did this good, he wouldn't have gotten very far.

Beside, it's a well known fact that bullies are easy to break. When they strike, they don't expect a fight and they're never willing to pay the price for victory if there is serious resistance.
 

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
innocentboy said:
oops ... didn't know it was regular to drop a summary.

Its not mandatory....just really appreciated when you're the first to make a thread about a certain issue. Some people don't make it to the store and get their issues thru subscriptions and sometime have to wait almost a week to get an issue but still would like to chime in with their thoughts. So yeah...not mandatory.....just appreciated.


I still stand by my anticlimatic post. The whole thing just ended so quickly and seemed like such a copout......especially with all the hype around it. Ellis has done better. Oh well.....at least there's Nextwave.
 

DanMo

Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2006
Messages
23
i've gotta say...i was kinda dissapointed overall with ultimate extinction...it didn't seem epic at all...not. at. all. are we gonna be seeing another return of gah lak tus? i hope we do, cuz this mini series didnt do it for me, it just all seemed too rushed.

it seemed like the nice thing to do to send out the blueprints for the ultimate weapon in case any race would encounter gah lak tus....but that's also the most powerful weapon...ever! what if some sinister race finds it and decidesto use it on earth?

so im with ya Vic Von Doom
for issue 5...i give it a 2.5/5
overall im gonna give it a 3/5.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top