Ultimate Extinction to start in December

The FF were given a ray gun and they threatened him with it and he went.
None too exciting.

Much better is when the Exiles meet Galactus, and all the earths heroes just beat him up bad.

airjavier31 said:
I wasn't a comic-reader when galactus came around in the 616, u guys mind telling how he was defeated back then?

Galactus went on a hunger strike until they finished his Ultimate trilogy and starved to death.

Yeah, I've heard this is some tricky stuff with both Galactus and Onslaught in 616... Hopefully, that silly stuff is avoided with at least Galactus, since he's appearing soon.

:lol: So do I, but he gets caught up in science, so I'm just worried is science is going to explain us to the point where Galactus is just a scientific mistake or something. This is about how to protect Earth, not how Galactus exists.

Goodwill said:
:lol: So do I, but he gets caught up in science, so I'm just worried is science is going to explain us to the point where Galactus is just a scientific mistake or something. This is about how to protect Earth, not how Galactus exists.
I think there will be some Ellis bull****ting about the possible origins of a galactic traveller that consumes worlds, he needs to give us that. And he's the best at it. I don't think that this will detract from the main part of the story though, Ellis has this amazing ability to get us to read scientific ideas as though we were reading the back of a cereal box and understand it just as easily and not see it as any kind of interruption.

Guijllons said:
I think there will be some Ellis bull****ting about the possible origins of a galactic traveller that consumes worlds, he needs to give us that. And he's the best at it. I don't think that this will detract from the main part of the story though, Ellis has this amazing ability to get us to read scientific ideas as though we were reading the back of a cereal box and understand it just as easily and not see it as any kind of interruption.

Damn straight.

Some of those explanations in UFF were really needed. In the UU things like the FF's powers should be explained and not just skimmed over. Stan Lee was able to make stuff up because he knew people wouldn't care. Today's comic readers are older and savvyer (not sure if I'm spelling that right :? ) and they expect more from comic writers. Ellis knows how to create plausible realistic explanations of things, without letting it bog down the story.

Yes, you are correct, and I have no doubt that, whatever explanation Ellis gives us for Galactus will be acceptable, I'm just worried Extinction will just be like Nightmare in the respect that there's a lot of building up to do until the final fight/conclusion. I want straight up action from the very beginning. Galactus should show up with a full appearance by the end of the first issue.

Goodwill said:
I've heard Ellis likes to recycle his ideas... For instance, in Planetary, there was explosions and stuff going off like in Nightmare and the UFF arcs that he did ran closely to another title that he wrote. As long as it is original to the UU, I'm fine.

Since you've clearly never read any of those, surely it shouldn't matter to you? How can you complain that Nightmare was too similar to Planetary because it had "explosions going off"? Wouldn't that make it too similar to... about half the superhero comics on the stands?

Nick MB said:
Since you've clearly never read any of those, surely it shouldn't matter to you? How can you complain that Nightmare was too similar to Planetary because it had "explosions going off"? Wouldn't that make it too similar to... about half the superhero comics on the stands?
Yeah, just release that rage. We're here for you.

Actually, I wasn't complaining at all. I've talked to people that have said Ellis has gone sour and I was purely reiterating to kick up a discussion... I had no intentions of getting into an argument. Sorry. I know I haven't read any of those, and I don't care, it's just what it is.

The item that Reed used in the original Galactus Trilogy was the Ultimate Nullifier. It may be "hokey" but it is still a well-grafted beautiful trilogy.

Aside from that, I have faith in Ellis. If I had to pick an ultimate writer to write Galactus he would have been my pick.

Baxter said:
I've noticed a bit of repitition in a few diffrent things of his. Nothing major, or even to the level that Millar seems to do if you read alot of what he's written, but with the less than whole hearted approach he seems to have taken with some of his work for hire lately I'm a bit worried that we're just going to get a bit of a rehash of some of his Wildstorm work released to a wider audience.

Not that more people shouldn't go read his Wildstorm work. :wink:
I think the repetition is no more than Millar's or Bendis'. But the thing is, while Planetary IS a great book, it also seems to be Ellis' 'testing ground' for any number of genre ideas he has in mind. As such his repetition is almost like he's just playing with ideas that can be developed further in any number of future gigs.

For example, he wrote of 'supermodernity' in Transmetropolitan, which he viewed as a state of mind, and now he makes it an urban sociological phenomenon in Desolation Jones.

I was going to pass this convo about Ellis recycling ideas like I have been for the past few days but then I began to think...

Ok, So what if Ellis is reusing an idea? I never read Planetary and if he was smart he'd probably know that mainstream marvel fans and even moreso Ultimate Marvel fans never did either so let him reuse his own ideas. Do you honestly think half.... 25% of this board know what this convo is about... If I was a writer and I was working between two different titles/companies... hell, I'd do the same thing.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I was going to pass this convo about Ellis recycling ideas like I have been for the past few days but then I began to think...

Ok, So what if Ellis is reusing an idea? I never read Planetary and if he was smart he'd probably know that mainstream marvel fans and even moreso Ultimate Marvel fans never did either so let him reuse his own ideas. Do you honestly think half.... 25% of this board know what this convo is about... If I was a writer and I was working between two different titles/companies... hell, I'd do the same thing.

I wouldn't.

Wow, I really regret mentioning something now... I didn't think it was that big of a deal! Maybe it's not...

Either, way I hope that Galactus is unique to the Ultimate Universe and enjoyable. I expect no less from Ellis, really, but you never can tell what he's going to shell out. That was obvious in the N-Zone arc.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Well, I don't really care as much when Ellis reuses ideas, but I don't think presuming that people don't know what you've done elsewhere is an excuse. I mean, if so that'd come close to self-plagiarizing. (I'm talking to you, James Horner!)

But either way, to me Ellis is just repackaging old ideas and reimagining them as new ones. He's taking pet concepts and themes he's experimented on and moving them into different directions. I mean, there're such obvious parallels between Ultimate Secret and Ministry of Space, Transmetropolitan and Desolation Jones but at least each iteration of an idea is sufficiently interesting on its own.

ourchair said:
Well, I don't really care as much when Ellis reuses ideas, but I don't think presuming that people don't know what you've done elsewhere is an excuse. I mean, if so that'd come close to self-plagiarizing. (I'm talking to you, James Horner!)

But either way, to me Ellis is just repackaging old ideas and reimagining them as new ones. He's taking pet concepts and themes he's experimented on and moving them into different directions. I mean, there're such obvious parallels between Ultimate Secret and Ministry of Space, Transmetropolitan and Desolation Jones but at least each iteration of an idea is sufficiently interesting on its own.
And here I was just worried that Ellis was going to electrocute Galactus texas prisoner style. Honestly, he's one of my favorite writers, if not my favorite on the stands now, I'm just hoping that he isn't thinking exactly what MWoF said. 90% of the people reading this have never read The Authoirty (Wich I was refering to before, the only thing of his that I've found to be similar to his work on PLanetary was Global Frequency, and then in the Strong single issue with a globe spanning orginization, nothing more.) so I can reuse alot of the plotpoints that I did there. Its new to you shouldn't be good enough, and I hold Ellis to a higher standard than that.

ourchair said:

Ok, this is what I thought you said... I was trying to say this same thing but got attacked. Everyone has an understanding, right? I'm done coming across as the bad guy...

Latest posts

Back