Ultimate Extinction to start in December

Goodwill said:
Ok, this is what I thought you said... I was trying to say this same thing but got attacked. Everyone has an understanding, right? I'm done coming across as the bad guy...
Don't do that, just get an eye-patch.

ourchair said:
Well, I don't really care as much when Ellis reuses ideas, but I don't think presuming that people don't know what you've done elsewhere is an excuse. I mean, if so that'd come close to self-plagiarizing. (I'm talking to you, James Horner!)

I agree to a limited degree that it is no excuse but if it works in one place why not add a few twists and make it new? Besides what's original anymore anyway?

Most writers, as with painters (certainly the more successful ones) have themes that they return to.
And a theme and an idea can be a double edged sword, on one hand it gets you noticed as "the stripes guy", on the other hand people can be dismissive of you as "the stripes guy".
While I don't think that Ellis should be criticised for following themes that he himself enjoys playing with, his language of storytelling devices could be a little broader.

How's that for sitting on the fence?

Looking at the cover art for ultimate extinction, it may be something similar to the "kill god" storyline from the authority, but hopefully won't be complete and utter crap like that one was. The gigeresque art combined with some good storytelling could make for an interesting package. While it's true that the guy recycles a lot of his ideas, i think that's because some of them are really good ideas at their core and let's face it, with such global knowledge these days it's really hard for a work of art to not be derivative of something else.

Terraneaux said:
Looking at the cover art for ultimate extinction, it may be something similar to the "kill god" storyline from the authority, but hopefully won't be complete and utter crap like that one was. The gigeresque art combined with some good storytelling could make for an interesting package. While it's true that the guy recycles a lot of his ideas, i think that's because some of them are really good ideas at their core and let's face it, with such global knowledge these days it's really hard for a work of art to not be derivative of something else.
Nice thought there.

AND WELCOME! :D

icemastertron said:
Nice thought there.

AND WELCOME! :D

It's funny, because Ice probably doesn't know what he's talking about. :D

I liked the story when The Authority killed God.

DIrishB said:
Heathen bastards. I liked the Preacher story where he was only trying to kick God's ***.

Wouldn't you fight God if he came back to Earth to tell everyone they inherited it, and then attempted to kill everyone off and terraform the planet?

ProjectX2 said:
Wouldn't you fight God if he came back to Earth to tell everyone they inherited it, and then attempted to kill everyone off and terraform the planet?

No, cuz despite whatever reasonings I might have for wanting to fight him, he'd kick my *** worse than Mike Tyson (or he should be able to anyway). Though if he were going to kill me anyway I'd probably give it a go and kick him in his holy shins or something. Maybe even in his Almighty nuts. That'd be something if I could make the Lord's eyes cross! I'm going to hell for even posting this.

DIrishB said:
No, cuz despite whatever reasonings I might have for wanting to fight him, he'd kick my *** worse than Mike Tyson (or he should be able to anyway). Though if he were going to kill me anyway I'd probably give it a go and kick him in his holy shins or something. Maybe even in his Almighty nuts. That'd be something if I could make the Lord's eyes cross! I'm going to hell for even posting this.

That's if you could find his nuts. In The Authority he was like a freaking living pyramid. That came from space.

Crazy Warren Ellis.

Latest posts

Back