Ultimate Fantastic 4 # 18 (spoilers)

i got this last night and just now read it...it wasn't bad, it could have been better. it was creative how they killed Big A. but it wasn't BAM. but i like the whole MGM bulilding juz going poof thanks to the big bird thingy.

on a scale of 1 to 10 i give it a high 7'ish

Bass said:
I think the reason that the UU characters get pissed off an blam someone is that the architects of this series said, "Let's make the Marvel U a bit more like Ellis' Wildstorm". I'm not saying they ripped him off, but they definately wanted to tap Ellis' style for the line - I believe someone like Bendis, Millar, or Quesada actually said this somewhere (I don't where, so I may be getting my wires crossed).
I believe I saw the same interview in which this was mentioned. Also, either Quesada or Bendis stated that Ellis was originally asked to work with them and was unavailable or some reason other than that. Not sure if it was the same interview.

However, Ellis DID say in one of his columns for either Comicon Pulse or CBR that he was currently engaged in what he calls a year of "whore"-dom, and that all his Marvel work is part of that.

As for UFF, I'm gonna miss Ellis. I've really enjoyed the last 12 issues. They've all been so much fun.
Same here. I think people around here are giving him way less credit than he deserves even though I'll admit I have absolutely mixed feelings about his work. But I definitely consider Ellis' work the high point of UFF's young run so far, if only for the sense of fun and not for his ridiculous decompression.

If Original Content for UC is pushing through, you'll be seeing a tribute to Ellis from me, Bass, in the form of a Fantastic Four column. It's just about done, but I want to find time between work and classes to spit and polish it.

Cheers Ourchair. Look forward to it. :D

Any chance you know where I can find the article about his year of whoring that you mentioned?

Last edited:
I got the issue and, like a lot of you said, the only cool thing about this issue is the fact that they've gone public...

I thought that the fight more situated on the ja-wa looking creatures was a little too much; I would've liked to see more Annihulus in this issue (Especially if he were to meet the same fate). Other than that, the fight was drawn well for the most part and it was a cool setting to have the Fantastic Four fight in. Perhaps because of the changes in the landscape after the shuttles crashed, Vaugahn will keep them there and have it be "Ultimate Vegas" for that drastic change in the UXM Annual... I thought it was a joke to put Ultimate in front of Vegas because all of the other characters got that tag in front of their names, but you never know...

Also, the arc as a whole left me scratching... Did it amount to the death-ray? I mean, here we have the plot surround the FF's origin and it didn't even touch on that past the second issue. I was kind of let down, I guess, because I would've liked to see something about that.

Goodwill said:
Did it amount to the death-ray? I mean, here we have the plot surround the FF's origin and it didn't even touch on that past the second issue. I was kind of let down, I guess, because I would've liked to see something about that.

I don't think so. The whole point of their N-Zone exploration was simply to know what was on the other side. The discovery of N-Zone's residents was supposedly a milestone but it backfired because Nihil was scum. The death-ray thing was a humorous way to satisfy General Ross who only cared about the development of new high-tech weaponry, and save their *** from some serious reprimanding.

I know this is really late. But has anyone else noticed the guns that Reed gave to Ross looks a lot like the guns the SandPeople from Espisode IV?

René said:
I know this is really late. But has anyone else noticed the guns that Reed gave to Ross looks a lot like the guns the SandPeople from Espisode IV?
HAhaha for fun, yes I thought the same thing.... and what's worse is when I did the first discussion I said the followers looked like JAWAS...

even though I don't like delving this far back.. can I just say that the whole Nihil surviving thing... I think it's bogus!! I really hope it's not true... Ultimate Annihilus played a good part in UFF mythology... let him be...

TheManWithoutFear said:
even though I don't like delving this far back.. can I just say that the whole Nihil surviving thing... I think it's bogus!! I really hope it's not true... Ultimate Annihilus played a good part in UFF mythology... let him be...

Wait where did you see that? There is no way Annihilus survied.

The DEATH ray was designd to kill people in that particular universe, to kill those particular inhabitants... To make them sieze to exist. Why would Annihulus survive? Just sounds like an excuse to have a 616 classic character back in the fold... I don't want him to come back if Beast isn't going to.

Blah blah, death ray this, death ray that, Nihil live, Nihil dead. You know, Nihil never said he was the last of his species.

It's entirely possible that other members of his species would resurface as antagonists in the future, as eager to enter our youthful dimension as Nihil was, even if they don't necessarily have any relationship with him. Whether or not they'll be as much "The Conqueror" as he was is something else altogether.

ourchair said:
Blah blah, death ray this, death ray that, Nihil live, Nihil dead. You know, Nihil never said he was the last of his species.

It's entirely possible that other members of his species would resurface as antagonists in the future, as eager to enter our youthful dimension as Nihil was, even if they don't necessarily have any relationship with him. Whether or not they'll be as much "The Conqueror" as he was is something else altogether.

Very good point. But even so I don't want to see it... Ultimate Annihilus was sweet and his time came and went but it's over and let's move on... I'll still think of him as a great Ultiamte FF villain.

I think if Nihil was introduced sooner in the arc, we would've had more of a villain, but he was a good one at best when he came around. Ellis' cheesy villain dialogue spoiled the villainy a bit, it's not buyable, but it was a great arc and I was glad that Reed has the same kind of opinion as Spider-Man does... About all people that have all of these oppurtunities screw it up because they are greedy.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Very good point. But even so I don't want to see it... Ultimate Annihilus was sweet and his time came and went but it's over and let's move on... I'll still think of him as a great Ultiamte FF villain.
I agree with you on that. I don't think the Nihil Caste should resurface as future villains anytime soon. Let's wait five years down the line and see if they can come up with fresh ideas for the species. More important is that the seeds are there if they want to exploit the concept again.

Very true... I just don't want the N-Zone left undone like it is. There's probably more to it than we've seen. This is only a piece of the pie.

Latest posts

Back