Ultimate Fantastic Four #16 Discussion (Spoilers)

i would say that his decompression on Ult. Nightmare was a little off though. Issue 3 had no story or personality development at all I felt, or very little. Though in FF it really is working well, there are definite things that are thrown in often to grab your attention, and personally, I absolutely love all the science stuff, it keeps my attention far more. Guess I just dig the Reed Richards finding out how stuff works mindset.

Last edited:
I agree totally.

I've never been much into the FF or big sci-fi technobabble, but Ellis is really good at this stuff. I guess it's because he loves this genre.

And it should come as no surprise how much I'm liking the current UFF :lookatmysigniature:

It is a top book indeed. The poll here about choosing the best character was probably the toughest out of the entire ultimate line, they are all exceptionally well written. Sue would get my vote today.
But this is kinda offtopic, and i shouldn't even be here, I've not read the issue yet.

hmm, I may have to get myself one of dem fancy signatures.

speculation about issue 16 and beyond(spoilers)

Though, I think we should start speculating on how Reed and Thing are gonna get out of this. Personally? I think Sue's there.

long-timer lurker, first time poster.

Reed and Thing- my guess is that Thing will be able to hold his breath long enough to run back to the air lock. as for Reed, he will most likely strech as fast as possible to get back to the air lock.

Human Torch- regarding his illness. it was already mentioned that he was getting thinner since transforming. however, I wonder if the N-Zone has something to due with his worsening condition. Ever since they breached the N-Zone he has been getting sicker. perhaps his powers are subject to the same forces(on a molecular level) that are causing the N-Zone to burn out. my guess is that once he returns to his universe, his condition will improve. that and he will probably have to go on a special diet to keep up his body mass. instead of slim-fast, maybe Sue will whip up some bulk-fast in the lab for him.

Good theory and welcome. To get the quotes working, remove the slash from your first one.

Wamu said:

Reed and Thing- my guess is that Thing will be able to hold his breath long enough to run back to the air lock. as for Reed, he will most likely strech as fast as possible to get back to the air lock.

Human Torch- regarding his illness. it was already mentioned that he was getting thinner since transforming. however, I wonder if the N-Zone has something to due with his worsening condition. Ever since they breached the N-Zone he has been getting sicker. perhaps his powers are subject to the same forces(on a molecular level) that are causing the N-Zone to burn out. my guess is that once he returns to his universe, his condition will improve. that and he will probably have to go on a special diet to keep up his body mass. instead of slim-fast, maybe Sue will whip up some bulk-fast in the lab for him.
Welcome Wamu! :D

Last edited:
Wamu said:

Welcome - great to have you. :D

Wamu said:

I wonder if Reed's unique physical condition will make him immune to the air, or maybe make him more apt to deal with it than we are expecting.

UltimateE said:
I wonder if Reed's unique physical condition will make him immune to the air, or maybe make him more apt to deal with it than we are expecting.
Wait- wasn't there something said about his lungs....or was it his organs...or both....:?

icemastertron said:
Wait- wasn't there something said about his lungs....or was it his organs...or both....:?

His stomach is just a pliable bactirial sac. He gets his nutrients from the air, but I don't believe anything was said that was special about his lungs.

Hey, Thing can hold his breath for a good while. So maybe he'll find out that he can hold his breath for a while here.

icemastertron said:
Hey, Thing can hold his breath for a good while. So maybe he'll find out that he can hold his breath for a while here.

When you hold your breath, you tend to take a deep breath first. He can't really do that here - Sue said 3 lungfuls would kill them, but I would guess that 1 lungful staying in the lungs for an extended period would be just as bad. I don't know if holding their breath is an option.

Geez, that's about the geekiest post I've ever mad. :(

UltimateE said:
When you hold your breath, you tend to take a deep breath first. He can't really do that here - Sue said 3 lungfuls would kill them, but I would guess that 1 lungful staying in the lungs for an extended period would be just as bad. I don't know if holding their breath is an option.
That is true. I mean, a quick breathe in won't do him TOO much damage.

UltimateE said:
Geez, that's about the geekiest post I've ever made. :(
Why are you sad? This is a comic book site. What'd ya expect? :p

BE PROUD! (Insert geek emoticon with non-sun glasses here){Honestly, we should have one of those!}

Ultimate Warrior said:
The only thing said about Reeds lungs was when he asked Sue "I still have lungs, right?" and got "Kinda." as response.

Perfect - thanks, I forgot to look that up last night.

Interesting...he only "kinda" has lungs. So could he be immune to the poisonous atmosphere?

UltimateE said:
Perfect - thanks, I forgot to look that up last night.

Interesting...he only "kinda" has lungs. So could he be immune to the poisonous atmosphere?
Yeah, and I think that from the information about Reeds bacterial-stomach, Sue: "It reacts wth the air you breathe in to pour a rich supply of nutrients into your bloodstream.", that it will be involved too. In a good or bad way, I don't know.

Ultimate Warrior said:
The only thing said about Reeds lungs was when he asked Sue "I still have lungs, right?" and got "Kinda." as response.
A-HA! I knew it!

I don't think the air will hurt him much. With barely any lungs, he really won't get much damage. I mean, look at this:

Reed "kinda" has lungs. So he probably won't get hurt by the air. Thing can hold his breathe for a good while, so one quick breathe in won't hurt him really. So they'll end up being ok, and not too hurt by the air.

It's accepted that the usual rules of how things work do work differently in the N-Zone. The forms that the FF currently have, have in some way originated out of this environment. How well suited these bodies are to the N-Zone is anybodies guess.

Thing and Reed think they're about to die... then there's a pause. They're not dead. Annihilus is confused. Thing is confused. REED is confused. "Huh. That's odd."

It could be quite a funny scene.

Bass said:
Thing and Reed think they're about to die... then there's a pause. They're not dead. Annihilus is confused. Thing is confused. REED is confused. "Huh. That's odd."

It could be quite a funny scene.
I'm playing that scene in my head right now, and it really is funny. :lol:

I wish that would happen.

Latest posts

Back