Ultimate Fantastic Four #26 discussion SPOILERS

Fuzzy Birds

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
1,343
Location
Ze Nedderlandz
Well well. I have to say this was dissapointing. I'll leave the full breakdown to someone else (I don't have the issue in front of me), but I'll give a brief rundown of the important parts...

The FF minus Reed are getting whupped by Namor in Times Square, when Reed shows up in his Fantastic Five-Oh, a huge mecha suit displaying all the the powers of the FF. Namor eventually rips through it, only to reveal that Reed is wearing a special helmet that turns thoughts into substance. Accidentally imagining a giant, half naked Mrs Storm, Reed manages to get his head together and 'creates' The Ultimates, Spiderman and Wolverine to lay into Namor. He uses too much energy however, and has to shut the helmet, and his 'creations' down. Johhny uses his nova blast on Namor, and Ben smacks him with a bus. Not quite enough however, as Namor suddenly summons a huge visage of Poseidon over New York, threatening to drown the city unless he gets a kiss from Sue. She obviously agrees, and gives Namor a kiss that he found to be real, and with affection. Namor returns to the waters with Poseidon, and the day is saved. Sue and heer mother are talking later on, Sue asks her who was financing all this, believing it to be Victor Van Damme. Mrs Storm finds this quite silly, and leaves without revealing her bosses name. However, as she turns, we do get to see a tattoo of a green dragon on her back......

This issue was pretty funny in places, particularly the whole giant Mrs Storm debacle, and Franklins reaction to it. However, I really hated the Fantastic Five-Oh, and I think that Reeds amazing helmet is a weak deus ex machina, and an excuse for some unnofficial guest stars. I would have hoped for Namor to be killed or apprehended, not just leaving after he got a kiss. And what the hell was the deal with Poseidon? I would have preffered to see Giganto and all those deep see freaks. The ending however, is rather interesting.
 
Last edited:

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Re: Ultimate Fantastic Four #26 thoughts and discussion SPOILERS

I'm going right now but that all sounds like crap...

The green dragon is Doom's schtick. He used it on the civies in Latveria. It's a special drugged Tattoo that helps him control his subjects.

Which is interesting because if Doom's behind Namor, this might mean he's behind invasion.
 

Fuzzy Birds

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
1,343
Location
Ze Nedderlandz
Re: Ultimate Fantastic Four #26 thoughts and discussion SPOILERS

TheManWithoutFear said:
The green dragon is Doom's schtick. He used it on the civies in Latveria. It's a special drugged Tattoo that helps him control his subjects.

You know, I forgot all about that. Interesting.

Also, as for that apparent 'Inhumans connection'? Couldn't find anything obvious.
 

Lynx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,489
Location
Orlando, FL
Re: Ultimate Fantastic Four #26 thoughts and discussion SPOILERS

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'm going right now but that all sounds like crap...

The green dragon is Doom's schtick. He used it on the civies in Latveria. It's a special drugged Tattoo that helps him control his subjects.

Which is interesting because if Doom's behind Namor, this might mean he's behind invasion.

What's wrong with Van Damme controlling Mrs. Storm? The title definetly needs more Doom.

But I'm sorely dissapointed that there was no Inhuman cnnection.
 

Fuzzy Birds

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
1,343
Location
Ze Nedderlandz
Re: Ultimate Fantastic Four #26 thoughts and discussion SPOILERS

Lynx said:
But I'm sorely dissapointed that there was no Inhuman connection.

It could just be that I couldn't find it and it's too subtle.... although if that's the case, it certainly wasn't significant.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
The issue and arc were both just bad. Namor was ridiculously overpowered. There was no mention of the Inhumans. What the **** is Millar thinking with all of these outlandish ideas?! Just felt like I was reading Ultimate Team-Up all over again. Sue's characterization is terrible... terrible. Namor's just giving up was a complete cop-out. The ending was very cool though. And I'm looking forward to Doom and hopefully Latveria tying into other Millar projects :wink: (Hey this does happen before Ultimates 2, right?)

And what the hell is with all of this Ultimate Ant-Man talk? That was annoying to read in both UFF and USM.

1/5 (half for the ending and half for the art.)
 

Lynx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,489
Location
Orlando, FL
Spade said:
oh ic maybe we will get some doom by the end of millars run after all, but remember we till have those zombies 2 worry about:roll:

Wouldn't it be intesting if Doom figured out a way to control the zombies?

Maybe . .by using Mrs. Storm?

I love Doom. Even with his stupid cloven feet.


TheManWithoutFear said:
What the **** is Millar thinking with all of these outlandish ideas?!

You still haven't realised that you're reading the Fantastic Four yet, have you?
 
Last edited:

Lynx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,489
Location
Orlando, FL
Spade said:
well doom was always one for trying to control power greater than his own

Doom needs another big arc after Millar and Land are done. His character needs to be brought up to Magneto levels.
 

Nas-T!

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
225
Location
The JHB Hellmouth, RSA
Wow does this sound like a waste of time! I mean, I'm still getting it because UFF would have to be even worse than this for me to drop it (I have every issue since #1, for crying out loud!). It's not UIM bad or even Reggie Hudlin bad...but it sounds bad.

Okay, I don't have the issue yet, but the basic idea of that helmet that creates anything Reed can think of is just ridiculous!!
I mean, what's to stop him from building it again and turning the Fantastic Four into the Fantastic Seventy-Four!?! It's ludicrous (not the rapper)!!!

I admit that the connection to Doom sounds intriguing, but is that the bloody Storm family secret!? I mean, come ON! And the connection to the Inhumans? What is that as no one seems to have picked it up yet. Probably a measly line of dialogue or something!
The giant Mrs. Storm thing sounds funny (and it explains her glasses and underwear being that size) but in the context of Reed's invention, it's just ridiculous! In fact, it's almost as if that whole device came about just so Millar could write the scene with a giant hot chick for Land to draw! And now Namor's comment about her being a wrinkled trout makes even less sense!!

And then he leaves because he got a kiss? A KISS!?!?!
Millar said that "this isn't your daddy's Namor" and he meant it. My daddy's Namor would've kicked the FF's butt and drowned NYC! This one is just plain stupid!!
Millar is one of my favorite modern comic writers, but this run is just turning into total crapola!
 

Lynx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,489
Location
Orlando, FL
Nas-T! said:
Wow does this sound like a waste of time! I mean, I'm still getting it because UFF would have to be even worse than this for me to drop it (I have every issue since #1, for crying out loud!). It's not UIM bad or even Reggie Hudlin bad...but it sounds bad.

Okay, I don't have the issue yet, but the basic idea of that helmet that creates anything Reed can think of is just ridiculous!!
I mean, what's to stop him from building it again and turning the Fantastic Four into the Fantastic Seventy-Four!?! It's ludicrous (not the rapper)!!!

I admit that the connection to Doom sounds intriguing, but is that the bloody Storm family secret!? I mean, come ON! And the connection to the Inhumans? What is that as no one seems to have picked it up yet. Probably a measly line of dialogue or something!
The giant Mrs. Storm thing sounds funny (and it explains her glasses and underwear being that size) but in the context of Reed's invention, it's just ridiculous! In fact, it's almost as if that whole device came about just so Millar could write the scene with a giant hot chick for Land to draw! And now Namor's comment about her being a wrinkled trout makes even less sense!!

And then he leaves because he got a kiss? A KISS!?!?!
Millar said that "this isn't your daddy's Namor" and he meant it. My daddy's Namor would've kicked the FF's butt and drowned NYC! This one is just plain stupid!!
Millar is one of my favorite modern comic writers, but this run is just turning into total crapola!

No, your daddys Namor would have done the exact same thing. Unfortunetly.
 

Hyperstorm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2005
Messages
45
Actually the helmet was a nod to Fantastic Four #27 which opens with Reed using the helmet to summon an image of Sue in a swimsuit. The issue also had the team fighting Namor with the help of Dr. Strange.
 
Last edited:

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
Well, it sounds better than USM. :wink:
 

Lynx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,489
Location
Orlando, FL
Hyperstorm said:
Actually the helmet was a nod to Fantastic Four #27 which opens with Reed using the helmet to summon an image of Sue in a swimsuit. The issue also had the team fighting Namor with the help of Dr. Strange.

Most of Millar's run seems to have been a nod to 616. The Inhumans, the 616-ish Zombieverse, now a very 616-ish Super Skrull in President Thor.

Waitaminute. . .the entire run has had heavy ties to 616 just like the Team-Up issues. I wonder if its a coincidence. . .
 

Spade

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 17, 2005
Messages
432
Location
Can-Ad-Ah dont ask me where it is i don't know.
ok issue, not great but ok. Namor is sickly overpowered like we have already said and it really pissed me off that he just up and left. It wouldnt have been so bad if he was defeated by that machine thing which i think is kind of gay but what is done is done and i loved the ending. Sadly we have a big wait till the next issue:evil: :evil: :evil:
 

Super_Human

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2005
Messages
58
This issue didn't WOW me as much as the last issue,but it was FAR from horrible,as many of people have labelled it.

My one problem with this issue was the immediate dismissal of Namor.Sure the kiss was just a showing of his arrogance and I completely accepted this,but he just left?Like where the heck was the military at pursuing him after leaving the city?

The F-05 was great and I thought it was a cool idea.The helmet concept was a little farout but then again, you have to remember this IS the Fantastic Four,weird science has always been apart of the F4.

I'd give it a 7.9 out of 10.You guys wanna see horrible?I totally regret giving BP a chance with issue 10,but after reading thru 11 today,screw that.
 

Latest posts

Top