Ultimate Fantastic Four #28 (Spoilers)

So-so issue, some inconsistancies, and not as good as some of the previous issues, but still an okay read.

But Land's Skrull Leader looked like crap.

Does anyone else think Ben looks way to much lick Nick Lachley in this issue?

TheManWithoutFear said:
Oh yeah, that was another save wasn't it? Didn't they explain the difference in physical appearances was due to some type of armor?

Yeah...that's the way the Skrull King explained it to Reed.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Oh yeah, that was another save wasn't it? Didn't they explain the difference in physical appearances was due to some type of armor?

No, the armour was just to protect him and copy the metahuman powers. I don't think it was supposed to change how he looked.

E said:
No, you weren't, but think about this about Reed Richards - he also trusted a different version of him from another dimension without doing anything to make sure things were safe, and he also trusted an evil N-zone alien without doing anything to gauge how much of a threat he was, even when his non-scientific buddy told him that he had a bad feeling about it.
True, very true. Reed Richards is the most gullible person ever, yet after reading Ultimate Extinction I formed the option that his brain was able to reasonably predict the motives and future actions of another person. Now I'm remembering UFF Reed is like a first grader who can't understand why he shouldn't take candy from strange men. I'll have to remember never to trust Reed's judgement of other people again.

MaxwellSmart said:
True, very true. Reed Richards is the most gullible person ever, yet after reading Ultimate Extinction I formed the option that his brain was able to reasonably predict the motives and future actions of another person. Now I'm remembering UFF Reed is like a first grader who can't understand why he shouldn't take candy from strange men. I'll have to remember never to trust Reed's judgement of other people again.

I actually prefer Ultimate Reed to 616 because of that dynamic. It's an interesting personality conflict - for being the smartest guy in the world he sure does some dumb things. Lucky for him he has friends to help clean up his messes.

Bass said:
Aaaand - the Skrulls ways of conquering planets is clever indeed. I like it. I also like the Skrull/Chitauri distinction.

The problem is that the Skrull/Chitauri distinction is obviously not true, given the Skrulls true intent. If it is true... why didn't the Chitauri use the super-pills to take over Earth in the first place? It seems much more effective than their original plan. Also, the Chitauri were being attacked from one end of the universe to the other - but they're now a small gang of criminals.

It clears it up only if the Skrulls were nice. But since they're evil too - I fail to see the distinction, nor why the Chitauri act the way that they did. It still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Inconsistent.
Well, to relate it to a classic, think of "Gulliver's Travels", Bass. In it, the little people of Lilliput (excuse the spelling errors, if any) are at war with some other little people.
Gulliver feels that he owes a lot to the people of Lilliput and so he lays a smack down on their adversaries without question.
But then, when he enquires why they went to war in the first place, its because the people of the opposing country/city eat their eggs differently to the people of Lilliput!!!

Yes, I realize that that story was mostly used to show the madness and triviality in human nature, often taking it to an extreme, but my point is that the Skrulls could be just as trivial in their distinction between themselves and the Chitauri.

Also, and about the discussion above about their physical characteristics, it is possible that the Chitauri looked something like the Skrulls. My reasoning? The only time we ever see a real Chitauri in alien appearance is when its face is all twisted under the human face it had.
This was in the autopsy scene in The Ultimates (1) #8 or 9 (i think). In that issue it is also mentioned that the Chitauri lost is "chameleonic hold" on its appearance. At that time I assumed it was referring to the hold it had over its "human" appearance...but now we could take that to mean that it just lost control over its own appearance as a whole.

Of course, the above example/theory is highly unlikely, and therefore forces us to examine the other obvious option: race.

What I liked about this issue was that Millar made it obvious that no matter how someone 'accidently' aquires thier super ability it will be the same ability no matterwhat. Originally the UFF got their powers from exposureto the N-zone, now in this reality they gat their powers from the Skrull pill. And in both instances, Reed is stretcho-boy, Sue goes invisible, Johnny lights up and even Vic becomes a metal demon, I thought that was kinda cool, now the only question is Spidey still Spidey?

Hawkeye101 said:
What I liked about this issue was that Millar made it obvious that no matter how someone 'accidently' aquires thier super ability it will be the same ability no matterwhat. Originally the UFF got their powers from exposureto the N-zone, now in this reality they gat their powers from the Skrull pill. And in both instances, Reed is stretcho-boy, Sue goes invisible, Johnny lights up and even Vic becomes a metal demon, I thought that was kinda cool, now the only question is Spidey still Spidey?

Nope, he's Arachnoman.

Nas-T! said:
Well, to relate it to a classic, think of "Gulliver's Travels", Bass. In it, the little people of Lilliput (excuse the spelling errors, if any) are at war with some other little people.
Gulliver feels that he owes a lot to the people of Lilliput and so he lays a smack down on their adversaries without question.
But then, when he enquires why they went to war in the first place, its because the people of the opposing country/city eat their eggs differently to the people of Lilliput!!!

Yes, I realize that that story was mostly used to show the madness and triviality in human nature, often taking it to an extreme, but my point is that the Skrulls could be just as trivial in their distinction between themselves and the Chitauri.

Good point. I suppose you're right - that is a possibility. They could distinguish themselves on how they conquer worlds. Since their shapeshifters, how else would they distinguish themselves?

But then, I think we're giving more thought to the Ultimate Skrulls than Millar has, and that's a shame. Because the Chitauri were cool, and these Skrulls are a nice idea, but blandly told and create continuity problems whilst acting like they're solving the ones they create.

Kinda like the entire run actually. :(

Also, good point Hawkeye101. It's a kinda typical thing you get in all alternate universe stories. It's like Star Trek, y'know? Everytime we see an alternate Enterprise all the same main characters are in the same positions on the same ship in the same fleet, regardless of how much else has changed. I think the idea is to point out just HOW different things are by keeping some things the same. That said, I think it's a big cliche.

Last edited:
The one question that arrises is how do you explain the way Skrulls look compared to the Chitauri? I sat down and compared the one shot we have of an actual Chitauri face and to the Ultimate Skrulls, they seem to be differently shaped. It seems that Hitch was going with something new and Land is sticking to the 616 look. Both are okay ideas, but how do you make them work together?

Alternate universe time travel.

The butter the bad writer spreads over plot holes.

METAPHOR STRIKE!

Hawkeye101 said:
The one question that arrises is how do you explain the way Skrulls look compared to the Chitauri? I sat down and compared the one shot we have of an actual Chitauri face and to the Ultimate Skrulls, they seem to be differently shaped. It seems that Hitch was going with something new and Land is sticking to the 616 look. Both are okay ideas, but how do you make them work together?
That's easily explained since they're shapeshifters. The one shot we saw of a Chitauri was the dying/dead one the Ultimates had. When we see them, some dude says "They lose control of their chameleonic hold after ninety-eight minutes". Now, who's to say "losing control" means reverting to their natural form? I'm reminded here of the ending of Terminator 2, where the chameleon dude, when dying, went through all the forms he'd taken. The form we see the Chitauri in might easily be some other alien life form's appearance the Chitauri had emulated at some point.

vintsukka said:
That's easily explained since they're shapeshifters. The one shot we saw of a Chitauri was the dying/dead one the Ultimates had. When we see them, some dude says "They lose control of their chameleonic hold after ninety-eight minutes". Now, who's to say "losing control" means reverting to their natural form? I'm reminded here of the ending of Terminator 2, where the chameleon dude, when dying, went through all the forms he'd taken. The form we see the Chitauri in might easily be some other alien life form's appearance the Chitauri had emulated at some point.

Acceptable. The best idea, I think, I hate the whole messing with reality and using it to fix continuity problems.

Got it today.

I know you were all waiting impatiently for my comments. Here it is.

Go to p.17 (count the recap page and the ads).

Second panel, the green haired girl. Look at her breast.

LOOK AT HER BREASTS!!!

:shock:

This arc is like this girl's breasts.

Greetings,

I am amazed that noone has noticed what I think I have noticed in this issue. At the end, isn't Millar creating the Marvel Zombie world? It appeared unless the art failed that the sideeffect was zombie-conversion.

My guess is that while this world will be averted it will remain as the zombieworld from Marvel Zombies, and the superskrull's reasons for trying to avert this world is the Marvel Zombies proved too powerful and thwarted them.

Anyway, this whole run has been a lot of fun and intriguing, and Millar's promise to tie it all together promises to make it an excellent year or so long tale bound up in one sweet hardcover I hope!

Though Land's art while very realistic could use a touch more motion.

Just a fan's thoughts. Email if you have any ideas.

Latest posts

Back