Ultimate Fantastic Four #30 Discussion (Spoilers!)

It does go with Doom's character but it doesn't make it creative or interesting. It's a bland attempt to wrap things up... We can see what's going to happen from here on out which annoys me.

There's still room for plenty of creativity from here on out. I get what you're saying about predictable, though. That line just kind of leaves you with a feeling like he's not going to pull anything original out of his hat, but I've got to give Millar more credit than that. He hasn't hit a lot of home runs with UFF, but since this is his final arc I think he hasn't something planned.

Of course there is the possibility that Civil War is consuming so much of his time that he hasn't been putting much effort into UFF.

Well, I'm sure E will tell you your theory is wrong... However it may be more correct than we think. I'm sure an event like Civil War, where things are obviously unfolding that will alter parts of the Marvel Universe, would take up a lot of time... Whereas Millar admitted to writing straightforward adventures in the Fantastic Four - even if he was sacrificing a lot of reality in the title.

We'll see by next issue where this is all going...

Does it hurt being as persecuted as you are Goody?

I don't really expect anything fantastic from Millar's last arc; I wasn't a fan of his UFF, on the whole, and while individual parts weren't too shocking, none of the arcs fit together well; President Thor was predictable, as soon as we found out Ben was the one guy with no powers.

Yes, I totally agree with you, Cad. I'm looking forward to Mike Carey taking over... I just thought Millar just skimmed at the surface of a lot of interesting ideas that could have shaped into awesome points in the history of the Ultimate Fantastic Four. Unfortunately, due to the excessive creativity there are a lot of things having to be assumed... For instance, the relationship between the Fantastic Four and Crystal. That particular scene between Sue and her was extremely odd... Not to mention the points where Prof. X, Jean, and Kitty made appearances throughout the series, too. I did think that the Ultimates having a part in the first story was necessary, although it could fall under the excessive column, too.

That being said, I am a tad confident Millar will be able to clean up his mess a little with this arc... So long as he doesn't stray into anything that is beyond what "limits" he has already used... For instance, it wouldn't be smart to throw Alicia Masters into the hero mix or her character would be spoiled. I actually am liking the relationship between her and Ben, however, it did seem forced.

Ice said:
When ah...when the hell did this happen in UFF? :?

Finding the Super-Skrull in Egypt? I'm pretty sure Jean was there, maybe Kitty... don't know about Xavier.

ProjectX2 said:
Finding the Super-Skrull in Egypt? I'm pretty sure Jean was there, maybe Kitty... don't know about Xavier.
Alright. Forgot that was just a liner Sue said. I was trying to remember as if it was a scene since they "appeared throught the series".

Right. Jean and Kitty were there unnecessarily when Sue was excavating the Skrull tomb and Professor X was in the most recent issue of UFF to help Johnny... But didn't really contribute anything to the story - hence why I said these appearances are unimportant.

Entropy said:
A new Annihilus, that would be awesome.

I really hope one of the plotpoints addressed though is the idea of Reed getting smarter. Just so he can make zombie-Reed eat his words. Like, the Frightful Four get out and z-Reed is bragging about how it was so easy but it turns out it was all a trap and as their getting shot back to the zombie-verse he see's u-Reed and says something like, "How could you do this? I'm ten times smarter than you!" And u-Reed just smiles and says "You were ten times smarter than me. But that was a month ago."

That sounds sweet! Very nice idea.

thee great one said:
I liked the start of this. It was all fantastic expect I never like when someone goes all "so and so are 5 mins behind schedule". So they looks all smart and master planer like. It bugs me.

Thats only because people always say that to you...

"Thee Great One"...Psssshhhhh...should be "Thee Late One"...

Oh, SNAP!

Caduceus said:
Does it hurt being as persecuted as you are Goody?

I don't really expect anything fantastic from Millar's last arc; I wasn't a fan of his UFF, on the whole, and while individual parts weren't too shocking, none of the arcs fit together well; President Thor was predictable, as soon as we found out Ben was the one guy with no powers.

Maybe in that respect, but if you're telling me you knew Ben was the Super-Skrull the whole time then I'm calling you full of **** and Houde #2.

Goodwill said:
Right. Jean and Kitty were there unnecessarily when Sue was excavating the Skrull tomb and Professor X was in the most recent issue of UFF to help Johnny... But didn't really contribute anything to the story - hence why I said these appearances are unimportant.

True, but it does add a nice bit of connectivity between the titles, which I personally enjoy. I know many Ultimate fans are completists, buying all the ongoing issues (either by individual issue or trade) since there are only four per month (three most months with Ultimates delays) and the occasional mini-series, which is usually two or three a year at most. Therefore, its generally doable even on a modest extraneous expenditure budget. I think Marvel is aware of this, and when it doesn't present a heavy continuity situation, smile favorably upon such instances, as its just a motivator to buy the other titles for the fans just as much as its a reminder the other titles exist.

DIrishB said:
Maybe in that respect, but if you're telling me you knew Ben was the Super-Skrull the whole time then I'm calling you full of **** and Houde #2.
Not from the start. But as soon as you find out that Ben has no powers, you know that it's going to be him making the sacrifice that has to go back, and I suspected he'd be the Super Skrull as soon as we found out that it was a suit.

It was full of cliches; not horribly offensive ones, just really blatant ones. Poor Gentle Tragic Ben giving up his One True Chance Of Happiness (for the moment, at least), albeit unknowingly, because he is a Good Guy, and Not Just Because Of His Powers.

Caduceus said:
Not from the start. But as soon as you find out that Ben has no powers, you know that it's going to be him making the sacrifice that has to go back, and I suspected he'd be the Super Skrull as soon as we found out that it was a suit.

Didn't we find out it was a suit in the last issue, the same issue we found out the Super-Skrull was Ben?

It was full of cliches; not horribly offensive ones, just really blatant ones. Poor Gentle Tragic Ben giving up his One True Chance Of Happiness (for the moment, at least), albeit unknowingly, because he is a Good Guy, and Not Just Because Of His Powers.

Hate to break it to you, but 99% of comics are filled with cliches such as those.

Latest posts

Back