Ultimate Fantastic Four #30 Discussion (Spoilers!)

E.Vi.L.

Ben and Alicia are on a date and Johnny is along with a certain Tara Beckwith. Apparenlty it was arranged by Alicia. Johnny is underwhelmed. Ben seems very much in love with Alicia. Blind or not, I don't see how'll they ever have sex. Anyway.

Suddenly a car almost crash to their table and then rush out of control toward an oil truck. Johnny to the Rescue! He saves the girl driving the car just before the big explosion. I really have no idea how he picked her through her car and carried her out of the explosion without even dirtying he shirt. Anyway.

It turns out the girl is an air head bimbo. Johnny likes. But before he can propose, he doubles over in pain.

Next we see Reed working on a widget to teleport the zombies back into their dimension without exposing themselves. Dr. Storm complains about him not working on a command by their shareholders (What shareholders, isn't this a military operation?). A five sensory TV, no less. Of course, Reed say he finished this and dozens of other task before breakfast and now he's working on this. He wants to send the zombie FF back. Dr. Storm ask why not put them to sleep? Reed thinks it's unethical. What are you talking about Reed? They are already dead.

Then Johnny arrives, very sick. He's put through some machine that Reed invented that can scan every atom. How pointless.

They discover that Johnny is infected by some parasite from the N-Dimension growing in his intestines. Xavier is here, btw. He informs us that the parasite picked Johnny because he is the most powerful member of the group (that will do wonder for his ego!). It hatches in 7 days. And they seem to think it'd be so dangerous that if they can't cure Johnny, they should dump him in the N-Zone to save Earth.

You know, a parasite that kills not only its host, but the whole planet of its host, is a pretty lousy parasite. What the hell will it live off once everything is gone, huh?

Then we see Sue chatting with Crystal, asking for help. Crystal say she can't help and the Royal family is pissed they even breathed the same air as human. Sue say they are all concerned because the planet is in danger. Crystal hints that they are now living on the moon and therefore safe. She says she meeted her just so Sue could say Goodbye to Johnny for him.

Johnny makes a round of call to reach the girl he's wronged over the year and is crying. Reed ask the Zombie's help. They say no. They say again that they are about to escape.

Reed says he's out of idea. Ben points out there is still one genius they haven't tapped. And they are off to Latveria to see Doom! Apparently Doom has turned this bankrupt third world country into the 9th richest country on Earth in just 6 month. Woot!

We see that Mary Storm is with Doom and she tells him the FF have arrived 4 full minutes later than he calculated. He tells her to reset her watch because DOOM MAKES NO MISTAKE! MWAHAHAHAAH!

Last panel, Zombie Sue tell the "boys" it's time to make their move.

Tadaa!

I prefered the super-science under Ellis pen. I disliked Lan'd art more than usual.

2.5/5

I don't know. It sounds kind of fishy. I think they're going to turn to Doom and Zombie Reed as being the whole cause of the parasite and only Doom can cure it. The escape relies on distraction of Doom's arrival and Johnny's condition. It sounds like an interesting intro to an arc. I like an intro issue to fully introduce the arc. I hate intro issues that show a tidbit that seems interesting which really only sets up a scenario which builds up to the main events of the arc.

Well it's obvious that Doom has something to do with the Virus.

At the very least he knows about it which makes it likely he created it. In which case he fooled a lot of smart men who IDed it as a N-Zone denizens.

If the Zombie plans require the FF to be abroad, then it makes it likely that they work with Doom. But how and more importantly why? He's a dictator. He doesn't want zombies running the Earth! More likely it's just coincidence. The FF being who they were, it was just a matter of time before they left. And perhaps they would have attempted the evasion now no matter where the FF were.

Does it bother anyone that Doom is in a tent one issue (In Denmark) and then all of a sudden a dictator? Is Millar pulling too many strings here?

Goodwill said:
Does it bother anyone that Doom is in a tent one issue (In Denmark) and then all of a sudden a dictator? Is Millar pulling too many strings here?

He's Doom. His genius is only comparable to Reed Richards and Tony Stark.

I think it's very plausible.

Sounds like a good issue. Hopefully, I'll pick it (Along with Extinction) up this weekend.

Last edited:
Good read. Glad to see Doom in charge of Latveria

Anyways, concerning the parasite and how poor it is if it killed its entire host race, it must be taken into account that humans are less resilient than the denizens of the N-Zone. The equivalent of a harmless parasite there could be extraordinarily lethal here.

It was good, but it didn't leave me psyched like all the other issues have.

3.5/5

Also, the Sudoku that Zombie Reed is doing is impossible. For someone so smart, it's kinda stupid that he hasn't figured that out yet. :wink:

Taskmaster said:
Anyways, concerning the parasite and how poor it is if it killed its entire host race, it must be taken into account that humans are less resilient than the denizens of the N-Zone. The equivalent of a harmless parasite there could be extraordinarily lethal here.

Yeah, we saw how hard these guys were to kill in Ellis last arc. Most look like sickly star wars throw off and the toughest of them all, Nihil, dies with a blast to the head like any puny human.

That's non-sense and so is the parasite. Any organism that in the process of birth destroy the possibility of further birth is not gonna perpetuate itself for long. That kind of behavior is reserved for the antechrist.

Anyway, it will probably turn out to be a Doom ploy so the point is moot.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
We see that Mary Storm is with Doom and she tells him the FF have arrived 4 full minutes later than he calculated. He tells her to reset her watch because DOOM MAKES NO MISTAKE!

That was the best part of the issue.

Goodwill said:

No. When you read the issue they state that the N-Zone event was a year ago. They fought with Doom before that...so it's not unbelievable that in a year's time he has come to power. Another thing to note is that when the FF arrive in Latveria...all the citizens have the dragon tattoo on. So it's also not too far fetched to believe that he has control over an entire nation thru his science.

They still call him Victor Van Damme.....but he calls himself Dr.Doom. So I think its one of those things where the FF went on with life and had other adventures....meanwhile Victor grew in power overseas and then decided to call himself Dr.Doom.

The only thing not really explained is the new leg look. But I'm chalking that up to just different artists drawing and they have thier own vision on how the character should look and just drew the character differently.

Overall this issue suffers from all the UFF issues that start a new arc.....they cover a whole lot trying to introduce everything and sometimes they take on too much.

3/5

ALL HAIL DOOM!!!!

Last edited:
MaxwellSmart said:
Doom's behind everything. That's my prediction.

I agree. He's the Puppet Master to the FF's puppets.

Goodwill said:

Not really, it is Doom. After all, didn't hear you complaining about Reed creating some device that should revolutionize society as we know it each issue, and Doom is as close to a genius counterpart we've got...

Lynx said:
He's Doom. His genius is only comparable to Reed Richards and Tony Stark.

I think it's very plausible.

'Nuff said.

Taskmaster said:
Good read. Glad to see Doom in charge of Latveria

Good point.

Victor Von Doom said:
That was the best part of the issue.

Agreed.

Also agreed.

When you read the issue they state that the N-Zone event was a year ago. They fought with Doom before that...so it's not unbelievable that in a year's time he has come to power.

Actually, that was two years ago they fought Doom, about a year ago for the N-Zone trip.

In the President Thor arc, my timeline was confirmed that the original N-Zone accident that gave them their powers occurred two years ago...this issue confirms that the N-Zone arc occurred about a year or less than the current issue. And I've been right all along.

I am the Doom equivalent to timelines, *****es. I am never wrong.

Another thing to note is that when the FF arrive in Latveria...all the citizens have the dragon tattoo on. So it's also not too far fetched to believe that he has control over an entire nation thru his science.

Good catch, didn't notice that.

They still call him Victor Van Damme.....but he calls himself Dr.Doom. So I think its one of those things where the FF went on with life and had other adventures....meanwhile Victor grew in power overseas and then decided to call himself Dr.Doom.

The only thing not really explained is the new leg look. But I'm chalking that up to just different artists drawing and they have thier own vision on how the character should look and just drew the character differently.

True...but we've only seen his lower half in detail on the cover...waiting to see if thats addressed in the issue itself.

Overall this issue suffers from all the UFF issues that start a new arc.....they cover a whole lot trying to introduce everything and sometimes they take on too much.

3/5

ALL HAIL DOOM!!!!

I give this one a 4/5, promising start. We'll see where it goes from here.

Last edited:
This book is one of my guilty pleasures. I'm really enjoying it and for some reason I feel like I shouldn't be.

That alien thing inside Johnny - ewwwwwwww. It's really gross looking. The whole "destroying the world" thing is a little over the top, but the thing looks cool and I like the idea of firing Johnny (no pun intended) back into the N-Zone to die. Of course we know this won't happen, but it's a cool idea.

Dr. Doom...not sure about this. I an accept that he has turned Latveria around almost overnight, but it's a very abrupt change; too much to just accept without seeing it happen. And I hope we get a better explantion as to why he looks different (no more horse legs and he looks like he's wearing a mask instead of being made of metal).

3.5/5

E said:
Dr. Doom...not sure about this. I an accept that he has turned Latveria around almost overnight, but it's a very abrupt change; too much to just accept without seeing it happen. And I hope we get a better explantion as to why he looks different (no more horse legs and he looks like he's wearing a mask instead of being made of metal).

It's called Millar retconning everything Ellis did because punk fanboys couldn't stand to see Doom actually be changed from his 616 counterpart.

"OMFG why dose he have gaot legs, so stupid!!11!1oone1!."

I hate people who can't look at things differently

/rant

i have a few theories.

1) Doom used the zombie U as a test subjest, hoping to rule zombies in his world,

2) Doom sent the virus there and used a older reed hologram to get the FF to go there and be eaten. he was promising the zombies foor for the death of the FF

these theories are not connected so dont yell at me *cringes in fear from MwoF*

innocentboy said:
does anybody know how long Millar and Land are gonna be on this book for?

has there every been any official word on how many issues they're doing together?

what issue did the Millar/Land combo start at?

For question 1, they're on for 2 more issues.

For question 2, again, they're on for 2 more issues, a total of 12 issues altogether.

For question 3, they started at issue #21, I believe.

Latest posts

Back